Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Rossi Rifles? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/rossi-rifles-37102/)

indyfan 01-19-2011 06:58 PM

Rossi Rifles?

I'm planning to purchase a coyote rifle here in a month or so. It's gonna be a .223 rem.

I've narrowed it down to a Rossi break-open synthetic rifle or a Savage bolt action synthetic.

I'd really like a break-open for the fact that it's unique but I've never bought anything from Rossi.

Am I making a mistake if I go with the Rossi?

thanks for the input

aandabooks 01-20-2011 01:38 AM

I've looked at the Rossi's and I really just dont like the feel of them. Have never shot nor no anyone personnally that has.

The Savage however, I can attest to its accuracy. I own an Edge in .223 and it is an accurate gun. I do like that gun for being a budget gun.

dteed4094 01-20-2011 03:00 AM

I bought a Rossi for 2 of my Grandsons. The fit and finish was terrible and the gun isn't very accurate. Although Savage aren't noted for their beauty they are way above Rossi and are known to be very accurate. The Savage is made in the U.S.A. the Rossi is made in Brazille. The barrels on the Rossi have to be fitted to a particular rifle thats how much 2 of the same model gun won't interchange barrels. Yuo can do a barrel swap on a Savage yourself. Consistant Quality. If you want unique, Rossi rifles are all unique to all other Rossi rifles, even the same model especially the Breach Breaks.

indyfan 01-20-2011 04:43 AM

Alright, well any suggestions for a break open .223? or something in a similar caliber?

Anything that'll knock down a Yote at 100 yds

freefall 01-20-2011 05:19 AM

If you insist on a break action single shot, buy a TC. Or look into a European import. Rossi doesn't impress me, H&R i once owned had a TERRIBLE trigger, NEF is their offspring, doubt it's improved much. Pony up another $100 or so and buy a decent rifle. Save money on the scope by going to a gun show and buying a used Leupold for $150. Good day.

nwrednk 01-20-2011 09:19 AM

TC is a great option...

For a break action .223! I have test fired one myself & liked it! As far as Rossi
firearms go though, I have only used one. My fathers Rossi "overland" model
12ga side by side shotgun purchased in 1981. It has exposed hammers & is a
fine quality firearm. I "went the cheap route" back then & purchased a
Brazilian "ERA" brand internal hammer (like model) with 28" bbls in mod & full
choke that was clearly inferior to the Rossi, (although it has put many
rabbits, hares & birds on my dinnertable)! We have not seen a Rossi shotgun
like his @ a gunshow recently...but the &59.oo "ERA" like I have featured a
"nib" quality one with an asking price of $700.00 @ the last gunshow early
this month. The Rossi shotgun was also offered in a shorter barreled "coach-
gun" version, & both models were popular with Hollywood prop departments!

cpttango30 01-20-2011 10:55 AM

You are going to want at least a bolt action or your going to be missing a lot of shots.

Many times you will get doubles (two yotes coming to one call) That single shot isn't going to do you no good other than maybe kill one then educate the other one. Get the Savage or get an AR-15 I have the RRA predator pursuit rifle they also have a lighter Coyote Rifle Rock River Arms: Coyote Rifle / Carbine

Put a good 4.5-15x40mm scope on top and you have one great yote smoker.....

jpattersonnh 01-20-2011 12:07 PM

My buddy has a Rossi .308/20ga combo. Accuracy is fine to 200 yards for hunting, it is not a bench rifle by any stretch, he uses it in the woods for Whitetail. I agree w/ Tango on a bolt gun or AR. For the price, a Savage or Stevens will work great. .223 is a great yote round, but I also take my .308 Howa out on occasion w/ 125gr ammo. Gives me longer shot capability and I can hunt larger game if I desire. Make sure that the twist is at least 1:9 in a .223. 1:12 really limits the bullet selection you can use.

indyfan 01-20-2011 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 425756)
.223 is a great yote round, but I also take my .308 Howa out on occasion w/ 125gr ammo. Gives me longer shot capability and I can hunt larger game if I desire.

.308? Don't you think thats a little too powerful? Especially if you wanna keep the hides

cpttango30 01-20-2011 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by indyfan (Post 425797)
.308? Don't you think thats a little too powerful? Especially if you wanna keep the hides

NOPE.....

I know guys who take 458 Lotts our ground hog and coyote hunting.