You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Rossi M92 in .45 colt

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-21-2016, 03:52 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rossi M92 in .45 colt

So I've ran into a lot of people looking to buy a lever gun lately. Mostly do to changes in my states hunting laws concerning straight walled cartilages but also just because people seem to be interested in them. I own a number of lever guns but I thought i would talk about one in particular in this video.

The Rossi is a good gun out of the box and is a less expensive alternative to a Henry or a higher end lever gun. it shoots well out of the box but there are a few things to be aware of. The action is rough from the factory and will take a lot of time or money to smooth out. Even if you do the job yourself it will require a new ejector spring, reduced power main spring and mettle follower for the tube magazine. However the end result is a gun just as good as ones that might have otherwise been outside your price point.

Now in terms of caliber I like the .45 colt. The down side is you have to reload to get the full potential of this cartridge. It's capable of out preforming the .44 mag when loaded with a slow burning powder like H110 with a log barrel and good projectile. This gun is capable of using .45 Colt Ruger only loads that turn the anemic .45 colt into a contender with other straight walled magnums and excellent hunting round.

Overall I highly recommend the gun if you are looking to get into a lever gun without braking the bank. Just keep in mind that it is going to take a bit of work to smooth out the action.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 08-22-2016, 01:45 AM   #2

Liked 1881 Times on 1036 Posts
Likes Given: 845

For a utility lever action,The Rossi 92 is an OK rifle. I personally don't care for the Rossi's being made today by Taurus. The Rossi's of the 1970's and 1980's were very well made,I had one in 38/357 for many years.

Buffalo Bore produces +P full power 45 Colt ammo for those that don't reload. It isn't cheap,but it is very well made ammo.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=1
North American Hunting Club
People Like This 
Old 08-22-2016, 07:42 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
For a utility lever action,The Rossi 92 is an OK rifle. I personally don't care for the Rossi's being made today by Taurus. The Rossi's of the 1970's and 1980's were very well made,I had one in 38/357 for many years.

Buffalo Bore produces +P full power 45 Colt ammo for those that don't reload. It isn't cheap,but it is very well made ammo.

https://www.buffalobore.com/index.php?l=product_list&c=1
I could not even Imagine forcing myself to pay that much for .45 Colt. I don't pay that much for .270 Winchester. In the long run it would be much cheaper for someone to just get a simple Lee loader.

I'm sure it's great ammo but I don't know who is buying that stuff.

Old 08-22-2016, 10:39 AM   #4

Liked 4220 Times on 2452 Posts
Likes Given: 6485

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharpie443 View Post
I could not even Imagine forcing myself to pay that much for .45 Colt. I don't pay that much for .270 Winchester. In the long run it would be much cheaper for someone to just get a simple Lee loader.

I'm sure it's great ammo but I don't know who is buying that stuff.
simple fact is, not everyone reloads and for various reasons. the fact the ammo exists and that they sell it means, that people must be buying enough of it, for them to justify making it and selling it. simple theory of economics.

some people simply don't shoot enough to justify spending the money to buy the equipment or the supplies to reload. some people lack the patience to reload. some people simply just don't care to to put the time or the effort into reloading and would rather spend their time doing other things.

as a long time reloader, there is no way i wouldn't reload, and pay high prices for ammo i could make myself, especially since it would only mean making a modest investment it adding a new set of dies to my collection. for me, buying a new or old rifle or pistol, i figure in buying the dies and equipment needed for reloading for that firearm as part of the investment of it. so when i buy a new firearm, i have already factored in that i will be reloading for it.
locutus Likes This 
Old 08-22-2016, 09:40 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 13477 Times on 6940 Posts
Likes Given: 13021

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dallas53 View Post
simple fact is, not everyone reloads and for various reasons. the fact the ammo exists and that they sell it means, that people must be buying enough of it, for them to justify making it and selling it. simple theory of economics.

some people simply don't shoot enough to justify spending the money to buy the equipment or the supplies to reload. some people lack the patience to reload. some people simply just don't care to to put the time or the effort into reloading and would rather spend their time doing other things.

as a long time reloader, there is no way i wouldn't reload, and pay high prices for ammo i could make myself, especially since it would only mean making a modest investment it adding a new set of dies to my collection. for me, buying a new or old rifle or pistol, i figure in buying the dies and equipment needed for reloading for that firearm as part of the investment of it. so when i buy a new firearm, i have already factored in that i will be reloading for it.
QFT

If'n ya don'tr reload, ya oughter!

When you go home, tell them of us, and say, "For your tomorrow, we gave our today."
Dallas53 Likes This