Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > rossi 92 levergun opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 12:42 PM   #11
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1715 Times on 936 Posts
Likes Given: 545

The Winchester and Marlin pistol caliber rifles are drilled for sights. I missed a buy on a Marlin at a gun show last year. I was setting up an FNRA table and did not get there quick enough. The Marlins are on the heavy side. The Henry might be the answer.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 02-15-2013, 01:04 PM   #12

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
Thanks. Im going to look for one and see how they handle. My first choice is still a marlin 1894 but after reseqrching a little last nite im considering a henry bigboy. Not sure i like that brass look though
Never even shot the bigboy but dam they're ugly

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

nitestalker Likes This 
Old 02-15-2013, 06:32 PM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts

Recently got a Rossi in 45-70. Have nothing bad to say about it. I looked the the marlin and Henry wanting to stay American. I hated the tube mag on the Henry and the marlins I handled had super rough actions. Many people like marlins but he Rossi felt better to me.

Old 02-15-2013, 06:43 PM   #14

Liked 22 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I just picked one up in 357 a few weeks ago. I have yet to shoot it, but have cycled some dummy rounds through it. So far it seems good. Action is fairly smooth and wood fit and finish was pretty good.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:19 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by JTJ View Post
I had an older one in 357 a long time ago. It was surprisingly accurate but the open sights just would not work for me anymore. I would have liked to install a peep but it was not drilled and I did not want to get it done....
I don't know if these could be made to fit, but they are cool. I would like to try a set.

http://www.marblearms.com/bullseyeSights.html

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:49 PM   #16

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 675

I bought an EMF Hartford, made by Rossi in .44-40 a few years ago. Love the rifle. EMF did all the work fitting and polishing. Very slick action. My buddy has a Rossi in .45lc. Action is not as smooth, but it is not bad and pretty accurate. If EMF can do it, so can you!!!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-15-2013, 08:50 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5262 Times on 2743 Posts
Likes Given: 332

i ended up doing some traveling about SE wisconsin to see some of the different new offerings out there and found one rossi a couple of winchesters some marlins of course and stumbled over an uberti 1873 in 45colt with 24inch octagon barrel. it was nib on the shelf but had a pretty bad ding on the forestock. after a little back and forth got some knocked off the price enough to bring it in line with the marlin cowboy 1894 octagon barrel model.

still learning to use the camera on my cell phone but i dont think i like it very much. i miss my old cheap canon.

you can see the dent in the stock here. it doesnt matter toooo much to me since its likely going to get more dents as i use it.

the reciever is case hardened.

just with the action open from the top

couldnt resist this gun. while im not a huge fan of the top eject stuff this one isnt pelting me right in the face its kinda flopping empties to the right and straight down. i think i can live with that.

sometimes it goes this way. you think you want something then you go and see it in person and while doing that you run across something else.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-15-2013, 08:52 PM   #18

Liked 2175 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
i ended up doing some traveling about SE wisconsin to see some of the different new offerings out there and found one rossi a couple of winchesters some marlins of course and stumbled over an uberti 1873 in 45colt with 24inch octagon barrel. it was nib on the shelf but had a pretty bad ding on the forestock. after a little back and forth got some knocked off the price enough to bring it in line with the marlin cowboy 1894 octagon barrel model.

still learning to use the camera on my cell phone but i dont think i like it very much. i miss my old cheap canon.

you can see the dent in the stock here. it doesnt matter toooo much to me since its likely going to get more dents as i use it.

couldnt resist this gun. while im not a huge fan of the top eject stuff this one isnt pelting me right in the face its kinda flopping empties to the right and straight down. i think i can live with that.
From a 92 Rossi to a 73 Winny -- U dun GUD!

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-15-2013, 09:25 PM   #19

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 675

Another CAR. Your gonna love it.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 02-15-2013, 09:59 PM   #20
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5262 Times on 2743 Posts
Likes Given: 332

i just made some dummy rounds for it to try the action. its a little sticky on a rare occasion but so was my marlin 1895 until i cycled a coupled hundred dummies through it.

im looking forward to cracking it open and having a go at its inner workings. but i need to do some research to be sure there arent any little tricks to detail stripping these things.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...