Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > rossi 92 levergun opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-15-2013, 01:01 AM   #1
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5323 Times on 2779 Posts
Likes Given: 336

Default rossi 92 levergun opinions

anyone got any good bad indifferent opinions on the rossi 92??

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-15-2013, 01:15 AM   #2
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1742 Times on 947 Posts
Likes Given: 547

I had an older one in 357 a long time ago. It was surprisingly accurate but the open sights just would not work for me anymore. I would have liked to install a peep but it was not drilled and I did not want to get it done. There was not a local gunsmith I trusted at the time. The rear sight slot was an odd size and I could not find a better sight that would fit. Basically a Winchester 92. Very light and a fun gun. I dont know if they are drilled now. I have had eye surgery since and would like a lever that I could put a peep on. I have an H&R single shot in 357 with a low power scope. It is just a nice to have a combination pistol and rifle round. You will pick up about 400 fps on mags in the rifle. on either the 357 or 44. I might have to take another look and I sure would not turn down a bargain on one.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 02-15-2013, 01:55 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

im looking at one for cas in 45colt stainless to match my revolvers. i havent found anything truly negative about em. im assuming i can tune the ejector a little to not pelt me in the face with spent brass since its a top eject.

i would prefer a side eject marlin but they arent offered in stainless in 45colt.

if your looking for a good solid lever gun to put a rear peep on, the marlin 1894/95's are just the ticket. other than that your looking at a rear tang sight which i dont think lend well to real accurate long range shooting since they block the top of the grip.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 02-15-2013, 02:42 AM   #4

Liked 698 Times on 448 Posts
Likes Given: 226

I had a 357 Rossi years ago. Couldn't hit a barn from the inside. Tried bullet weights from 90 to 180. both 357 and 38, no luck. Sold it.
Heard the newer ones are better but I won't try another.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 02-15-2013, 02:56 AM   #5

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The Rossi tends to develop wear under the rear bolt bottom and the top of the hammer . This is of course is the during ejection and loading cycle.
Results failure to secure positive hammer sear engagement. Not good!!

Old 02-15-2013, 04:58 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 185 Times on 118 Posts
Likes Given: 581

I have a friend with a Winchester 94, he mounted a scope with a side plate that attached to the left side of the rifle. maybe you could mount a peep sight with one of those?

Old 02-15-2013, 06:37 AM   #7

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I've no owned any of the Rossi lever guns but shot a couple. I'd like to get one in 357. The ones I tried did really well.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-15-2013, 10:39 AM   #8

Liked 4788 Times on 2678 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The best Mdl.92 is the Brownings. They can be found and they are pricey. Problem is they were never chambered in .45 Colt.

Old 02-15-2013, 11:34 AM   #9

Liked 2176 Times on 1468 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Had half a dozen or more over the years while i was into CAS-
Not the fastest but can be slicked up ez-
Never really had a problem with any that i can recall.
Botton line dependable & accurate
If you can find a pre-safety you have something----

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 02-15-2013, 12:41 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Thanks. Im going to look for one and see how they handle. My first choice is still a marlin 1894 but after reseqrching a little last nite im considering a henry bigboy. Not sure i like that brass look though