Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   rossi 92 levergun opinions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/rossi-92-levergun-opinions-84248/)

JonM 02-15-2013 01:01 AM

rossi 92 levergun opinions

anyone got any good bad indifferent opinions on the rossi 92??

JTJ 02-15-2013 01:15 AM

I had an older one in 357 a long time ago. It was surprisingly accurate but the open sights just would not work for me anymore. I would have liked to install a peep but it was not drilled and I did not want to get it done. There was not a local gunsmith I trusted at the time. The rear sight slot was an odd size and I could not find a better sight that would fit. Basically a Winchester 92. Very light and a fun gun. I dont know if they are drilled now. I have had eye surgery since and would like a lever that I could put a peep on. I have an H&R single shot in 357 with a low power scope. It is just a nice to have a combination pistol and rifle round. You will pick up about 400 fps on mags in the rifle. on either the 357 or 44. I might have to take another look and I sure would not turn down a bargain on one.

JonM 02-15-2013 01:55 AM

im looking at one for cas in 45colt stainless to match my revolvers. i havent found anything truly negative about em. im assuming i can tune the ejector a little to not pelt me in the face with spent brass since its a top eject.

i would prefer a side eject marlin but they arent offered in stainless in 45colt.

if your looking for a good solid lever gun to put a rear peep on, the marlin 1894/95's are just the ticket. other than that your looking at a rear tang sight which i dont think lend well to real accurate long range shooting since they block the top of the grip.

hiwall 02-15-2013 02:42 AM

I had a 357 Rossi years ago. Couldn't hit a barn from the inside. Tried bullet weights from 90 to 180. both 357 and 38, no luck. Sold it.
Heard the newer ones are better but I won't try another.

nitestalker 02-15-2013 02:56 AM

The Rossi tends to develop wear under the rear bolt bottom and the top of the hammer . This is of course is the during ejection and loading cycle.
Results failure to secure positive hammer sear engagement. Not good!!:(

Mongo 02-15-2013 04:58 AM

I have a friend with a Winchester 94, he mounted a scope with a side plate that attached to the left side of the rifle. maybe you could mount a peep sight with one of those?

DrumJunkie 02-15-2013 06:37 AM

I've no owned any of the Rossi lever guns but shot a couple. I'd like to get one in 357. The ones I tried did really well.

nitestalker 02-15-2013 10:39 AM

The best Mdl.92 is the Brownings. They can be found and they are pricey. Problem is they were never chambered in .45 Colt. :)

HOSSFLY 02-15-2013 11:34 AM

Had half a dozen or more over the years while i was into CAS-
Not the fastest but can be slicked up ez-
Never really had a problem with any that i can recall.
Botton line dependable & accurate :)
If you can find a pre-safety you have something----

JonM 02-15-2013 12:41 PM

Thanks. Im going to look for one and see how they handle. My first choice is still a marlin 1894 but after reseqrching a little last nite im considering a henry bigboy. Not sure i like that brass look though