Rooky Needs Help - Choices - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rooky Needs Help - Choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2009, 12:34 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 7 Times on 5 Posts

This would be the closest comparison to the 22LR, not the 17HMR. Sorry.

Take what you want from those charts. We could argue forever about rimfire cartridges. I'm not even sure why I'm bothering with this. It all depends on the shooter and the rifle. In which case we should have a competition. Stalkingbear wins, discussion over

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 04-02-2009, 10:31 PM   #32

AmsterDan, If you have 1000 dollars to spend then your options are very wide. If it were me i would go to wal-mart and buy a cheap .22 and scope for very little money and shoot the crap out of it working on your trigger control, breathing, and flenching. There's nothing better than a .22 to teach you not to flench. Once you are confident and shoot it pretty well I would take the rest of the money (should be $700 - $800) and invest in a nice deer rifle (maybe used) and put a decent scope on it. I would recomend a 243, 25-06, or a a 270 these will all handle deer very well the 25-06 is probably the most accurate at least for me. For optics i personally use 3.5 / 12 / 50 Weaver Grand Slam on my deer rifle. They are a good scope and not too high.
Hope this helps.

Old 04-11-2009, 05:30 PM   #33

.303 britsih is my top pick, but it is pricey, low kick and is a hunting rifle, u can hunt with a .22l but if you want to learn kick, target and all, i like the .303

Old 04-12-2009, 01:01 AM   #34

Likes Given: 2

i will also jump on the "rimfire first wagon." first rifle. the one i am teaching my kids, and taught the wife to shoot first.
after that, remington 700. i put leupold scope on mine. several years ago now, but i am sure that it came in under $800. depending on what you want to hunt, i would .308 or smaller to start. you can always go bigger later.

Old 04-12-2009, 01:31 AM   #35

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmsterDan View Post
Hey there,

I am Rooky, absolutely new to firearms, going for my license upcoming February. Though, sooner or later I will have to make a decision on what rifle to choose ... and there are lots. Reason to ask you, the way more experienced people!

Being aware of the wide variety of choice, I am sure my question is going to generate a tremendous amount of opinions and advice which I really appreciate but I'll try to narrow it down with the following information.

I'll need to learn how to shoot on a rifle that I'd like to keep for years. (For example: A .22 cal. will fairly quickly be outgrown). So target shooting I guess is best to start with, but maybe down the road I'd like to go hunt small deer. Budget sits around $1000.

I've talked to buddies saying that I'll learn to shoot eventually, just get a 30-06 and it'll be fun also for later on. But the reality of target shooting with 30-06 cost wise doesn't make much sense to me.

I'm looking forward to your responses and thanks for the help!
If you would like a gun with little to no recoil, one that can take down a deer (or a person), one that is extremely well-made and ammo is not too expensive - get an AR-15. It is accurate out to 500 yds (used at Camp Perry long range events) and while it will cost you almost $1000, if you decide you don't like shooting, you can always sell it for more than you paid. I am suggesting this gun because Obama's administration will more than likely pass an AWB before his term expires, at which time if you decide you love guns and shooting, you will be unable to buy an AR-15. You can ALWAYS buy a .22 LR or bolt action hunting rifle - you will NOT be able to buy an AR-15 soon!
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"