Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rooky Needs Help - Choices

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-26-2009, 02:19 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I'm also going to recommend getting a rifle chambered in 22LR. Its a great cartridge to learn on and you can shoot all day without breaking the bank. Just remember, you can always trade it in.

I would get a nice, used, bolt action 22lr. You could probably get a Savage Arms Mark-II for about $200. IMO, you can't beat a Savage rimfire for the price. The factory trigger is great. If you wanted an auto-loader, look at a Ruger 10/22. Fantastic rifle and everyone knows what they are.

Another caliber to consider is 17 HMR. The ammo is more expensive than 22lr, but far more accurate. I have a Savage 93R17 and I can shoot tacs that were left on the backerboards.

left: 17HMR right: 22LR

For a deer caliber, I would recommend a 270 Winchester. You could get a new Remington 700 for a decent price. (If you shop around, you could get both rifles I recommended for under your $1000 limit)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Last edited by dnthmn2004; 01-26-2009 at 02:27 PM.

Old 01-26-2009, 02:29 PM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Welcome to the forms by the way!!!

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 01-26-2009, 02:57 PM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

You're trying to give him bad advise by recommending the .17HMR. The ammo costs is prohibitive compared to .22LR. Also, I'd SURE like to know where you got it at that .17HMR is "far more accurate" than .22LR. Sure almost all of them are VERY accurate BUT The last several 10/22s I've personally built will (easily proven) group 5 shots at 50 yards into .170-.230" from solid rest. PLEASE share with us how much more accurate the .17HMR is than that. There's not much actual difference in inherent accuracy at 50 yards between the 2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnthmn2004 View Post
I'm also going to recommend getting a rifle chambered in 22LR. Its a great cartridge to learn on and you can shoot all day without breaking the bank.

Another caliber to consider is 17 HMR. The ammo is more expensive than 22lr, but far more accurate. I have a Savage 93R17 and I can shoot tacs that were left on the backerboards.

left: 17HMR right: 22LR

For a deer caliber, I would recommend a 270 Winchester. You could get a new Remington 700 for a decent price. (If you shop around, you could get both rifles I recommended for under your $1000 limit)

Old 01-26-2009, 04:10 PM   #14

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
You're trying to give him bad advise by recommending the .17HMR. The ammo costs is prohibitive compared to .22LR. Also, I'd SURE like to know where you got it at that .17HMR is "far more accurate" than .22LR. Sure almost all of them are VERY accurate BUT The last several 10/22s I've personally built will (easily proven) group 5 shots at 50 yards into .170-.230" from solid rest. PLEASE share with us how much more accurate the .17HMR is than that. There's not much actual difference in inherent accuracy at 50 yards between the 2.

Bear you must hang out with all them crazy guys over on Rimfirecentral.com them boys are some 10/22 NUT cases if I have ever seen them. If you think it hasn't been done look on there and I will bet no guarantee it has been done.

Old 01-26-2009, 04:11 PM   #15

Liked 1403 Times on 805 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Dude just go out and get a <$200 single shot or bolt/mag 22 rifle, 1K brick of name brand ammo and go expend!

Nothing fancy, no optics just basic iron sight shooting/training (and a sh1t load of fun)!

If you can do it in your back yard, great. Get a bunch of targets and pulp them up! Don’t hang them on a tree, get a bale of straw and shoot the hell out of it. If that’s not an option, go to a range and just have fun.

Bet this will result in you buying a second brick of ammo!

DO NOT RUSH into your next weapon purchase. You’re first gun will always be your first, even if it’s a piece of sh1t! If you are anything like the rest of us you will probably keep it forever and maybe even hand it down to your son for his first gun.

Enjoy the ride and learn along the way. Watch what the other shooters are doing and using. Ask questions both here on the forum and at the range. Every shooter I’ve met has been more than happy to help a noob. We all have something we can add to your gun experience. You are only a noob until you help another shooter by solving a problem you have experienced.

In the beginning this advice is good to follow. As you gain experience it will change to a source of data that you will use to form your own decisions.

Your first gun is obtained by chance, every thing you buy after that MUST be made by choice or you will not be shooting what you want but what others like!

Here's a Caneisim: My Dad used to tell us, “God gave you two ears and one mouth, use them proportionally.”

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-26-2009, 04:25 PM   #16

Quote:
...group 5 shots at 50 yards into .170-.230" from solid rest. PLEASE share with us how much more accurate the .17HMR is than that. There's not much actual difference in inherent accuracy at 50 yards between the 2.
Sure there is, the cost to punch each hole!

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

- orangello

Old 01-26-2009, 04:39 PM   #17

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
I have no doubt you've built some accurate rifles for 50 yard shooting. I'm sure there is practically no difference between the accuracy of both at 50 yards. Unfortunately, I don't do much rifle shooting at 50 yards.

I can only assume you use an electric target to get .170-.230" groupings.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Last edited by dnthmn2004; 01-26-2009 at 04:42 PM.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:06 PM   #18

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 2

While YOU MAY shoot further than that, REMEMBER this guy is just starting out and WON'T have same needs as you OR I. He needs to start out with the inexpensive .22LR-NOT something costing 7.00-9.00 per 50 rounds. Yes I'm an accuracy "freak" and I sense disbelief and would be only too happy to prove it right in front of you.

I SERIOUSLY doubt a beginner is going to be shooting at 300 yards as your graph suggests,perhaps not even you with a rimfire.

Last edited by stalkingbear; 01-26-2009 at 05:08 PM.

Old 01-26-2009, 05:34 PM   #19

Liked 5 Times on 3 Posts

I did suggest the 22LR first and actually praised the Ruger 10/22. I'm sorry that you don't like the 17HMR. To each his own. I was just laying down another option. One that might have closer flight characteristics to hunting, which is what amsterdan would eventually like to do. If our friend, was only used to making 50 yard shots, then he moved up to 100-200 yards with a rifle suitable for hunting deer, that would just be one more intimidation on top of the recoil.

And I would love for you to show me first hand your personally-built Ruger 10/22s. Not because of disbelief, but that would be something cool to watch. Too bad I live in Massachusetts and you live in Kentucky.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Old 01-26-2009, 05:40 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmsterDan View Post
I am Rooky, absolutely new to firearms, going for my license upcoming February. Though, sooner or later I will have to make a decision on what rifle to choose ... and there are lots.
AmsterDan, as you can see we are passionate about our personal weapon selections.

As you get started, save your budget for that perfect rifle decision when you're ready to make it. Now is not the time, that's why you came to us.

Please read my earlier post (#15) to determine if it makes sense.

It's your $, make it count!

- orangello

Last edited by canebrake; 01-26-2009 at 05:57 PM.