Right Grain? - Page 2


Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Right Grain?

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-29-2012, 09:01 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
coyote_killer3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573

Lol okay like coyote size if so try 55s see how they group in your gun if they don't do good then try some others till u find the right grain that groups best for u.

How well did the 50s do?

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH
My 50s are 3 shot groups I can cover with a quarter, but every once in a while I'll get some stragglers which Im sure is my fault, not the guns.

Thanks,
Riley


__________________
coyote_killer3 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 09:19 PM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
BlueTurf's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Boise,ID
Posts: 1,025
Liked 44 Times on 30 Posts
Likes Given: 21

Default

This is science, meaning if you do certain things under certain conditions you will get certain results. A big part of the fun of loading your own ammo is trying different combinations of components. You can try different powders and measurements of it. You can try different bullet types and weights. You can try different bullet seating depths. For rifles I usually try different powder load changes in one-half grain increments.

I know all of this sounds rather general, but as you load more ammo you will become more familiar with the process. I might add that I recommend always following the powder charge guidelines listed for the bullet you are using.

Good luck with your reloading. I think you will enjoy doing it.



__________________
BlueTurf is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:06 PM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bigdaddy573's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,490
Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_killer3

My 50s are 3 shot groups I can cover with a quarter, but every once in a while I'll get some stragglers which Im sure is my fault, not the guns.

Thanks,
Riley
Lol then y do u want to change grains a good 50gr bullet will drop a dog on the spot

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH
__________________
bigdaddy573 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:23 PM   #14
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
JTJ's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Lake Havasu,Arizona
Posts: 6,326
Liked 2180 Times on 1187 Posts
Likes Given: 643

Default

I believe most 22-250 rifles have a 1:12 or 1:14 twist rate and prefer the lighter bullets. I would start at 45 grn and see what it does. 55 grains is pretty much the top end for a 1:12 and my .223 rifle does not like them too much. I went to 45 grain and am not changing. The 1:14 twist would prefer 45 grains or less but every rifle is an individual and you never know what they are going to do until you shoot them. Yours just may like the 50 grain bullets.

__________________

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I am not older than dirt but the rocks were bigger and there were more of them when I was a kid.

JTJ is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:44 PM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
coyote_killer3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573

Lol then y do u want to change grains a good 50gr bullet will drop a dog on the spot

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH
I wasn't actually want to change, I was just wondering what the difference would be. I got started on 50 grain just because that was the only box the store had. Lol so I was just wondering and trying to learn a lil bit. And this really has helped.

Thanks,
Riley
__________________
coyote_killer3 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 11:55 PM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bigdaddy573's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,490
Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_killer3

I wasn't actually want to change, I was just wondering what the difference would be. I got started on 50 grain just because that was the only box the store had. Lol so I was just wondering and trying to learn a lil bit. And this really has helped.

Thanks,
Riley
Lol well going from 50 to 55 might not be that noticeable idk cuz I went from 45 to 55 and u seen how that went

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH
__________________
bigdaddy573 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 01:54 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
coyote_killer3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573

Lol well going from 50 to 55 might not be that noticeable idk cuz I went from 45 to 55 and u seen how that went

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH
True. I think my gun shoots great with the 50 grain. So I'll stick with that to be safe. And I have another off the wall question, does anyone know the effective range of a SKS? I own two and I have yet to really notice what long shots I can take accurately.

Thanks,
Riley
__________________
coyote_killer3 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 04:04 AM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
bigdaddy573's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Posts: 1,490
Liked 36 Times on 30 Posts

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_killer3

True. I think my gun shoots great with the 50 grain. So I'll stick with that to be safe. And I have another off the wall question, does anyone know the effective range of a SKS? I own two and I have yet to really notice what long shots I can take accurately.

Thanks,
Riley
Don't know much about the sks but the round should be good out to 125 150 area but then again I think of the 7.62x39 as a plinking round more then anything lol

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH
__________________
bigdaddy573 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 05:20 AM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
coyote_killer3's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Posts: 93
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573

Don't know much about the sks but the round should be good out to 125 150 area but then again I think of the 7.62x39 as a plinking round more then anything lol

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH
That's what I use it for, I have killed a few hogs with it at short ranges. My lil cousin uses it for deer and had a pretty nice 9 point with it last year at about 75 yards and I have been wondering ever since.

Thanks,
Riley
__________________
coyote_killer3 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2012, 07:35 AM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: fordland,missouri
Posts: 11,099
Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdaddy573

Don't know much about the sks but the round should be good out to 125 150 area but then again I think of the 7.62x39 as a plinking round more then anything lol

I RUN LIKE A CHEVY AND IM BUILT FORD TOUGH
Quote:
Originally Posted by coyote_killer3

That's what I use it for, I have killed a few hogs with it at short ranges. My lil cousin uses it for deer and had a pretty nice 9 point with it last year at about 75 yards and I have been wondering ever since.

Thanks,
Riley
Its bout a 30-30 equivalent. Good out to bout 150-175 yards

God didnt make all men equal colonel Sam Colt did


__________________
Marlinman is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
.40 Which grain ? Riverg420 Ammunition & Reloading 11 02-01-2012 02:07 PM
36 vs 40 grain? kaido .22 Rifle/Rimfire Discussion 9 01-15-2012 04:28 PM
147 grain in a Glock 19 indyfan Glock Forum 4 12-14-2010 02:29 PM
115 grain or 145 grain? PIMking Semi-Auto Handguns 11 06-23-2010 05:19 PM
.243 75 grain v-max CaseyChadwell General Rifle Discussion 4 11-22-2009 12:27 AM