Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rifles for dummies

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 04:40 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 48 Times on 31 Posts

"Wise" tales that is

Old 09-12-2012, 04:48 AM   #12

Liked 1977 Times on 1175 Posts
Likes Given: 424

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim View Post
Why do people keep saying this? You can eat with your fingers or you could eat with a fork. Me I'm a fork guy, most of my rifles don't even have iron sights on them. Why in the world would I want to use iron sigths, I wouldn't. Use whatever will make you happy and don't listen to old wives tales.

Good luck.
Jim
Spend a couple hours driving to a hunting spot. Hike in a half an hour or so. Drop your rifle and bust your scope. Are you SOL for your hunt today or can you shoot well enough with the iron sights that are on the rifle as a back up. Or spend big money on an out of state hunt or an international hunt and have your scope damaged.

Iron sights and the ability to use them is a kind if insurance.

Scopes are great tools. Shooting well without one will usually help you make the most of shooting with one.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:52 AM   #13

Liked 48 Times on 31 Posts

I agree 100%.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:37 AM   #14

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

Marlin Model 60!

FUN FUN FUN TO SHOOT AND CHEEEEEEEAAAAAP

Old 09-12-2012, 06:57 AM   #15

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I have recently started in the hunting/rifle game. I was given a 303 Parker Hale by my uncle. I love it but soon after bought a Brno CZ model 2 .22lr to learn and improve on the fundamentals. I have had so much fun that i cant wait for the weekends to shoot some more (weather permitting) there is next to no recoil, highly accurate and not so noisy. It has helped me greatly in my hunting. Not only in accuracy but to make each shot count. .22 is the best calibre EVER! ; )

Old 09-12-2012, 10:56 AM   #16

Liked 1039 Times on 614 Posts
Likes Given: 319

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigjim

Why do people keep saying this? You can eat with your fingers or you could eat with a fork. Me I'm a fork guy, most of my rifles don't even have iron sights on them. Why in the world would I want to use iron sigths, I wouldn't. Use whatever will make you happy and don't listen to old wives tales.

Good luck.
Jim
I know people who don't know how to drive a manual transmission car because they learned on automatics. i prefer knowing how to use both and in the case of shooting, iron sights are less accurate so you need to focus on the other aspects of shooting to be accurate like breathing and heartbeat and smooth trigger pull.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 09-12-2012, 11:43 AM   #17

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

For practical purposes you might never need to use a scope. My wife has no intention of hunting but she enjoys shooting. She has no problems hitting a spent shotgun shell at 20 yards with a Model 60 equipped with open sights. For her uses I don't see how a scope can be anything but an PITA. I can't recommend that anyone should become totally dependent on optics to hit anything.

Old 09-12-2012, 03:50 PM   #18

Liked 204 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

Quote:
Scopes are great tools. Shooting well without one will usually help you make the most of shooting with one.
This is a personal opinion. But shooting with a scope will help someone shoot without one. In over 50 years of shooting, I have found that seeing your target without the front post covering it up is essential to hitting the target in the correct place. (or do you use a 6 o'clock hold?)

The OP has never fired a rifle before and unless someone is willing to sit down with him and teach him how to drift his front sight and walk in the elevation on his rear sight a scope will have him learning trigger control and proper breathing much faster and make shooting much more fun for him. A scope requires the rifle to be locked down, take one shot and then adjust your cross hairs to the bullet hole and you are ready to go.

This is not a hunting post, but if it was I would tell you:

A) After any amount of travel, check your scopes zero in camp, BEFORE going in the field.
B) Always take 2 rifles with incase one fails (jams) or is dropped down a hill or into a stream.
C) Don't, let me repeat this, DON'T drop your rifle or put it on a slop where it will roll down hill.
D) When all else fails, take a second scope (or optic) with just incase or get a compond bow. (it might be safer for you, LOL)

Jim

Last edited by bigjim; 09-12-2012 at 03:53 PM.

Old 09-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #19

Liked 15 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 8

Start with a Chipmunk or something similar, but equally simple and low powered.

Old 09-12-2012, 06:25 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

SInce you are new to rifles, start with a bolt action .22. I recommend you try Marlin, Savage and CZ before buying. Look at both new and used. Do not put a scope on it until you have mastered iron sights (though you may want to install a good aperture sight).