Are Rifles always better than Handguns?
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Are Rifles always better than Handguns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-08-2013, 04:58 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 28 Times on 20 Posts

Default Are Rifles always better than Handguns?

I know a rifle bullet travels a lot faster than a pistol's, but is it always for effective? Ive heard that hanguns only punch holes and rifles are the best you can use to stop someone but lets say at close range would 45 cal or a 44 have more stopping power than a 223/556. The handguns are throwing over 200 grains while the rifle is about 60 grains. Which would stop someone at close range better.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-08-2013, 05:16 AM   #2
Lifetime Supporting Member
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 9088 Times on 5276 Posts
Likes Given: 11970

Rifles are better at longer distances and pistols are better closer in. I would put that threshold at 25 yards myself. That having been said it has long been said that the .223/5.56 rounds used by the military is insufficient to stop threats, but that is using FMJ 55-62 grain bullets as I recall. I know of guys who have been in combat who say they would shoot the bad guys and couldn't tell if they scored a hit despite knowing that they must have owing to their marksmanship.

Pistol rounds smaller than 9mm/.380 are less effective as man-stoppers. The bigger the chunk of lead you throw downrange the more "stopping power" it has.
People Like This 
Old 12-08-2013, 05:21 AM   #3

Liked 229 Times on 141 Posts

Handguns are for when you can't carry a rifle,I would much rather have a rifle in any circumstances including CQC,just make it a short barreled rifle
Garadex Likes This 
Old 12-08-2013, 05:25 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 6825 Times on 3628 Posts
Likes Given: 513

at close range a .223 will outperform a 44 mag easily.

if the 44 is close range and the 5.56 is at 400 yards the 44 will win.

so it depends.

rifles always trump handguns unless your talking something like a 22lr or 17hmr or something silly like that or unless the pistol is ridiculous like the 500swmag where the pistol is chunking lead in the same category as a rifle.

the break point where pistols edge into rifle territory is about 1500fps.
"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

"I crapped my pants to avoid the draft!!" -Ted Nugent

Old 12-08-2013, 05:33 AM   #5

Liked 4797 Times on 2683 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

Wounds from small bore handguns are very often fatal. The small caliber handguns do not often exit the victim. The small caliber weapons enter the body and expend their energy moving about tissues and organs causing massive damage.
Rifles depend more on shock and hydraulics induced by a smaller high velocity projectile. Rifle bullets tend to tumble when entering a target causing extensive tissue damage. Bullet tumble refers to a destabilized bullet after striking a target. The bullet is rotating its base not folding over as it travels.
Larger low velocity pistol bullets depend on creating an extensive wound channel and exerting heavy energy against a target. Heavy bullets are more likely to damage bones and connective tissues before exiting the wound.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:44 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22315 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

IMO, the intendend usage dictates the firearm needed for the application.

in some cases, they can be used interchangeabily. some cases, but not all.
People Like This 
Old 12-08-2013, 05:51 AM   #7

Liked 4797 Times on 2683 Posts
Likes Given: 1736

The .44 Mag. 240 gr. bullet can develop 311 FPs at 500 yards. The 5.56 round can develop about 300 FPs at 500 meters. The chances of hitting a 500 yd. target with a 5.56 mega-times greater.
The 5.56 MM Military round must be able to penetrate a standard helmet at 500 meters. I really doubt the .44 pistol bullets fired from a rifle would do that? I really doubt the ability to hit that target with a .44.

Old 12-08-2013, 05:53 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 3586 Times on 1841 Posts
Likes Given: 400

Given the choice, I would ALWAYS opt for the rifle of ANY handgun caliber. I have seen several people shot at close range with an AR. They DROP. Any sort of torso shot is VERY incapacitating. The trauma is massive. The ony thing better inside 25 yards is a 12 ga w/OO buck

Old 12-08-2013, 10:28 AM   #9

Liked 493 Times on 319 Posts
Likes Given: 4

If there's gonna be a gunfight, bring something that takes two hands to carry and operate. It ain't one of Murphy's Laws, but it oughta be. When I was in-country, we had a word for anyone who brought a handgun to a fire fight. Dead.
People Like This 
Old 12-08-2013, 10:51 AM   #10
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 8247 Times on 4249 Posts
Likes Given: 9495

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
If there's gonna be a gunfight, bring something that takes two hands to carry and operate. It ain't one of Murphy's Laws, but it oughta be. When I was in-country, we had a word for anyone who brought a handgun to a fire fight. Dead.
Yo BRO (Ha I loved to hate Ft Riley the entire time I was there), Thank you for your service even if you had to spend time there or the sandbox!

I agree rifles are awesome if your prepped and ready but sometimes you just dont have space in your pockets for a Carbine! And the speed of the bullet is less a concern than the quickness of the draw in most civilians lives. They dont often walk around the 'Ville with their weapon at the ready!

Why choose one over another anyway? You dont always wear a raincoat yet it could rain! Just as weather dictates the dress of the day, your ability to pack heat and the possible threat dictates one over the other. Sadly, unlike when I was a kid, you really cant walk around with a rifle anymore in NY unless youve got a tag on your back and in the field, youre gonna get a hassle for sure! A nice little 38 special is probably gonna draw less attention!