Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Rifle Zeroing (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/rifle-zeroing-51345/)

ManDown 11-07-2011 02:33 PM

Rifle Zeroing
 
Just bought a .308 scout rifle for target practice and hunting. It's my first rifle, what's the recommended distance to zero in. I was told that zeroing at 25 yds. is fine if hunting distance won't be more than 150yds. Any recommendations?

jpattersonnh 11-07-2011 02:47 PM

100 yards.

ManDown 11-07-2011 03:01 PM

So after bore sighting my weapon I should adjust windage and elevation at 100yds?

jpattersonnh 11-07-2011 05:08 PM

You should be on paper, then adjust scope. If you adjust to 2" high at 100 yards that should zero the rifle at 200 yards giving you a 250 yards kill zone.

ManDown 11-07-2011 05:30 PM

Thanks for the info

therewolf 11-07-2011 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jpattersonnh (Post 621627)
100 yards.

I have to agree, for a scout carbine.

Not what to do, but what I do,

any rifle I'm going to use short distance, I try to

zero at 100 yards, makes shooting shorter distances

easier, for me, at least.

dks7895 11-07-2011 05:55 PM

After bore sighting I always zero at 35 yards. This will roughly give you a 200 yard far zero.

Muliemaster 11-07-2011 11:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManDown
Just bought a .308 scout rifle for target practice and hunting. It's my first rifle, what's the recommended distance to zero in. I was told that zeroing at 25 yds. is fine if hunting distance won't be more than 150yds. Any recommendations?

Dont kill the 308 set it at 3 inch high at 100 puts u back to zero around 254 yards an only 3 to 4 low at 300 then practice alot at 300 200 an so on good shootin to ya

ManDown 11-08-2011 01:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Muliemaster

Dont kill the 308 set it at 3 inch high at 100 puts u back to zero around 254 yards an only 3 to 4 low at 300 then practice alot at 300 200 an so on good shootin to ya

When you mean 3 inch high you mean to move my shot group 3 inches above the bulls eye at 100 yds.

Muliemaster 11-08-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ManDown

When you mean 3 inch high you mean to move my shot group 3 inches above the bulls eye at 100 yds.

Yes sir the 308 is an exelent choice for shots out to 400 or more as long as u put in the time to become able to make the long shots


All times are GMT. The time now is 03:29 AM.

Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.