Rifle for youth to start with? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Rifle for youth to start with?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-20-2012, 12:41 PM   #21
fmj
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 754 Times on 438 Posts
Likes Given: 306

I wouldnt advocate "turning em loose" until they reach a certain point of maturity. That point differs from child to child and must be a decision of the teacher/parent.

BUT, a good quality .22 bolt action, like a crickett, adds a bit of "maturity" that helps to instill a special bit of confidence in the child. ALL kids yearn to be a "grown up" and do things like "dad/mom". A .22 goes "BANG" like Dads/moms gun and makes the child feel "special" and "all grown up". What this does is adds a bit of "fun" into the equation and helps to make the child yearn to get back to the range with the adult again.

air guns, altho a great starting point and very accurate, get old and seem "weak" after a time, especailly after being introduced to real "boom" sticks and the child wants to have a "real" gun to shoot.

The 1911: Turning useless trash into good fertilizer for over 100 years!!

Old 01-20-2012, 02:49 PM   #22

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts

I agree with the "cricket". I have purchased (3) of them 2- black and 1- pink all at 6 years old. It teaches them to make thè one bullet they have in the gun "count" and also gives them a sense of belonging/trust between dad and son/daughter. Kids remember these years and reflect back on them. A 22 rifle from the ole man that they call theirs (even though it stays in mom and dads room, goes a long ways to help promote young adults... That's my opinion and it's worked well growing my kids up...

Old 01-20-2012, 05:20 PM   #23

Liked 45 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I bought the Cricket to use to teach my daughter to shoot. It was a great gun to start with.

Old 01-20-2012, 11:54 PM   #24

Great info guys. And there will be no "turning them loose." 1st thing is safty and respect for the tool they want to learn how to use. Then she can start gunning with dad.

Old 01-21-2012, 04:14 PM   #25

Liked 7 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Hey cricket is a good starting point then later maybe a cz scout very good fire arm and able to scope if you want to but has descent open sights

Old 01-30-2012, 12:25 AM   #26

We tries the Tissue but it did not fit my 6 yr old. While ended up with the SYNTHETIC STOCK BLACK CRICKET with the peep site and no chamber lock.

It's perfect. I set him up on a shooting stool he kneels and out to 50 yds he is on paper. Out to 30 he is on quarter size sinners. We shoot full velocity bulk through it and us hunts with sub Sonics.

I would recommend the peep over the standard site. It was much more intuitive for him. Almost a year in and he has shot about 800 rounds and loves this gun. Also nice because its a separate pull cocking mechanism. It does not cock.with.the bolt pull.