Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Which Rifle Would You Recommend and Why? Please help me decide.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Which Rifle Would You Recommend and Why? Please help me decide.

I have narrowed down my choices to either a Ruger M77 Hawkeye Compact SS/Laminate in 7mm-08 or the Savage Arms Lady Hunter in the same caliber. I have managed to find both (at different gun shops though) to shoulder them. I truly cannot decide which one to order in my preferred caliber. My present gun is a Browning A-Bolt purchased by hubby for me, but LOP is too long, and I also cannot get cheek weld and see through the scope properly, even though the scope is mounted on low rings.

I like the balance of the Ruger and the small size will make maneuverability while in a climber excellent. The 12.5" LOP seems about perfect for me (I'm 5'4", and taking into consideration my heavy hunting clothes). I just don't know if I'm going to have the same cheek weld/eye relief/scope problem. I've also read a lot of conflicting information on the LC6 trigger being a hard pull or having a lot of variance off the assembly line in trigger pull force necessary, and it's not user adjustable. Haven't found a local gunsmith that will do trigger work if I got one that was sticky, hard to pull or had a lot of creep (all complaints I've read on this trigger).

The Lady Hunter gives a higher comb, same LOP, and Accu-Trigger (which I liked). However, since not available in stainless as a production model, I would have to special order and pay upcharge of several $$$ for this option, and DH says go with stainless barrel. I honestly don't know though if it's worth paying considerably more for this gun or if I'd be just as happy wiht the Ruger in the long run, adding an aftermarket strap on cheek raiser if needed.

Anyone own either of these? Opinions? Please help me as I have to make a decision and order soon, as I drew a bear tag this year and want to get in lots of practice with the gun before the season opens. I know I've developed bad gun shouldering habits due to trying to use a gun that was too big for me for the past several years before finally getting DH to understand that the gun simply doesn't fit me. Rather than trying to have the gun restocked and made over for me, we are keeping that gun for his use and buying me a gun that suits a smaller framed shooter.

Thanks in advance.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #2

Thanks all for making a newbie feel welcome and sharing your wisdom - not. I'll be sticking with the other forums I have found that are happy to assist new members with questions and make them feel welcome. Bye.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:13 PM   #3
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19528 Times on 11084 Posts
Likes Given: 49157

Quote:
Originally Posted by sparky123 View Post
Thanks all for making a newbie feel welcome and sharing your wisdom - not. I'll be sticking with the other forums I have found that are happy to assist new members with questions and make them feel welcome. Bye.
sorry to hear that. this is the first time i ran across your post. i would be glad to assist you if possible. new members are encouraged to post in the introductions section and usually will get better responses to their posts that way.

LOP is going to be the key factor in any rifle you choose. another option is to look at youth models as they have a LOP probably more suited to you stature. the 7mm08 caliber is an excellent caliber and is found in many brands youth model rifles. some even available in stainless steel.

Old 07-29-2012, 06:25 PM   #4
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1081 Times on 620 Posts
Likes Given: 507

Sparky,I guess your post was over looked by everyone. I'll apoligize for this,but sometimes everyone gets tired of all the "Help me decide/Which should I get"postings by members.

If you already have a Browning,why not just get a youth/woman's stock for it,or take it to a good gunsmith that can cut down the present stock.The cheek weld can be fixed easily by adding an aftermarket cheek weld pad to the buttstock.

If you want a new rifle,just get whatever fits you best. I prefer the Savage over any Ruger,but that's just my opinion and from experience of owning both brands.The Ruger is a well made rifle,but I've never had one that will shoot anywhere close to a Savage.

Old 07-29-2012, 08:30 PM   #5

Liked 6 Times on 4 Posts

Sparky, like Tx said, cut down the stock a bit and install a good aftermarket cheekrest such as an Eagle Stock Pack. You can always cut thin strips of mousepad etc. to increase cheekweld height.

Old 07-30-2012, 05:15 PM   #6

Liked 207 Times on 166 Posts
Likes Given: 15

If you like the browning otherwise why not cut the stock down an inch and put a better recoi pad on too. Most any carpenter that does trim work can cut the stock storter and a Simms decelerstetor recoil pad can be marked and sanded to fit may a good carpenter or a shoe repair shop and a stick on cheek weld pad may take care of eye to scope alignment issues. Something like -http://www.eabco.com/store/products/Scope_EZE_Cheek_Rests_All_Thicknesses_and_Models-1812-61.html
or
http://www.meadowindustries.com/gunstocks.html

Old 07-30-2012, 11:45 PM   #7
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19528 Times on 11084 Posts
Likes Given: 49157

guys, i think Sparky left and isn't coming back.

Old 08-07-2012, 10:50 PM   #8

I would go with a Thompson center venture 7mm-08. Great accuracy and very very long range. I shoot federal premium fusion 140gr and they are amazing on deer and smaller game.

Old 08-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #9

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Sparky one thing that may help the decision........

Ruger's and Savages are both fine,well respected firms.There is a not so small difference in the two's approaches however.Do a little research on their actions.They'll notably different.........not sayin one's better or worse.But when you understand the differences,it may make your decision easier?