Which rifle will best satisfy my survival requirements. Or are my requirements crap? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Which rifle will best satisfy my survival requirements. Or are my requirements crap?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 11:11 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
OK, you choose a AR in .223, I choose a bolt gun in .308, 7.62x54r, 6.5x55... You are not far from the mountians. In 1.5 hours you could be deep in and on the edge of the rocky mountian national forest. Most of the bigger game animals will only be injured badly by your AR and 1 shot. With a larger caliber, they are going down. Can you say food for a week! Not to mention hides for clothing and bone/antlers for tools.
Good point about the hides for clothes. I'm planning on having all the clothes and weather gear that I need. I think that living off of large game animals is just a fantasy that most men have. I really don't think it's practical to shoot a moose in a long term survival situation. I'm not planning on necessarily staying in one place and having resources or proper equipment to care for and transport that much meat. It sounds cool to shoot a moose but in reality I think it would cause more trouble than it would be worth and possibly get you killed. I'm just need enough ammo to sustain and protect me, for enough time until I can become an expert trapper.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:11 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Mossberg 500 Mariner, #4 shot or smaller for birds, 00 or 000 Plated Buckshot & 1oz. rifled slugs.

S & W 460 PC hunter 12" S.S. w/ sling, tripod.

Aimpoint Holographic gun sights on each (optional).

Katadyn Pro Hiker Micro-filter kit.

Magnesium fire starter.

Ample supply of Twinkies (easily has 20 year shelf life).

Old 07-15-2011, 11:14 PM   #23

Default true or false... 2 simple questions

1. It is possible to carry enough gun maintenance supplies to maintain an AR 15 for 20 years in the wilderness? in combination with all other necessary survival equipment.

2. If cared for properly in the wilderness, an AR 15 would last at least 20 years?

Old 07-15-2011, 11:20 PM   #24

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 127

Have you considered a lever action in .22 Mag and possibly a revolver in a .22 LR/22 mag combo? Ballistics seem to show that a .22 Mag has similar numbers to the .38 SPL for some extra punch in a package not much larger than the .22 LR. OTOH, the .22 LR will get you most small game up to maybe a hundred pounds and while not exactly a man stopper, I know of nobody who will stand still and let you fire off a hand full of .22 rounds at them.

FWIW, I knew a man in my younger years (back in the 60's and 70's) who frequently shot deer in his garden from his back porch with a single shot, bolt action .22 MAG at about 50-100 yards. I can tell you from experience that at least a half dozen deer never walked out of his field and it only took one shot to bring them down. I had many a burger, stew and roast made from deer taken by that little 22. As someone said, it's less about caliber than placement!

Old 07-15-2011, 11:23 PM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

AR-15, good

AR-10 heavier ammo but better

Its all about personal preference really.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:35 PM   #26

yes I have in fact considered a 22lr/22mag revolver. The ruger single six with a 9.5" barrel seemed liked it would have some pretty decent range. I just really wanted to see if it was practical to have a semi-auto gun that could keep me safer in a shootout.

Do you think that a 22lr/mag revolver with a 9.5" barrel would be able to compete with a 22lr rifle in terms of accuracy and being able to take varmints at 100yrds for food? I had heard that there is really no point in shooting 22mag out of a barrel any shorting than 16" because you really won't be getting the benefit of that extra powder. It's essentially just a 22lr with more powder. In order for that to give you any benefit, I think you need a longer barrel.

Old 07-15-2011, 11:46 PM   #27

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 58

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
I have an old Marlin model 60 that is very similar to the Papoose, just doesn't break down for carry; i like it and think it would be a good game getter for anything up to rabbitses. I also have a Ruger GP100, 6" barrel that could be used for larger game at close range.

If you are more worried about defense than hunting, maybe an SKS wouldn't be the worst idea. It and its ammo are heavier than the Papoose by a good bit, but it is VERY simple in operation and easy to maintain. .22LR ammo will surely be available, but i think there will be some 7.62x39mm for the SKS also.

I have personally wondered about setting up a cache of ammo at a secondary location rather than trying to carry it all, should i have to bail.
Orangello;
I've been meaning to ask you; why do you hate the genus ursus? If it's personal forgive me.
keimetha tois keinon rhemasi peithomenoi"

Old 07-16-2011, 12:01 AM   #28

Liked 38 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 127

To me, the handgun is meant for use with the .22 LR while the .22 MAG cylinder is more an alternative or backup that would let you use the same round in two weapons.

A revolver of ANY kind and caliber would not be my first (or even second) choice if shooting at a target 100 yds away, that's why I suggested a rifle. Of course the .22 Mag in a pistol will loose some of it's velocity in the shorter barrel, but it's still got more bang than a .22 LR. In a rifle, the .22 MAG easily has a range of 100 yards and is pretty darn accurate. I've seen many a shooter at my local club fire .22 mags and most will put 3 shot groups in a 1" circle all day. The phrase "The right tool for the right job" comes to mind. The .22 MAG in a rifle would be a very adequate self-defense and survival round and I'd use the pistol as a close range BU gun.

Last edited by rachilders; 07-16-2011 at 12:03 AM.

Old 07-16-2011, 12:05 AM   #29

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by package81 View Post
cory2 just said that the weight of an AR disqualifies it as a survival weapon.... and suggests the AK47? I thought that the AK47 was heavier than the AR? isn't the ammo heavier too?

AR is much better for weight right?
Do not misunderstand me, I said that an ar built for long range shooting will be disqualified for its weight. There are ar-15's out there that weigh in a little over 5 pounds.

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Old 07-16-2011, 12:09 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by package81 View Post
canebrake..... what do you mean by "Dido, a 22 caliber".

You think I should get an AR chambered for 22lr?
One of the beauties of the AR platform is the ability to switch-out the upper and change calibers.

Start with a good AR in 5.56x45/.223 and expand from there beginning with a .22 LR upper, a good one. From there you'll have lots of options as money permits.