Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Which rifle will best satisfy my survival requirements. Or are my requirements crap?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 10:18 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5122 Times on 2667 Posts
Likes Given: 310

if you wanna fire manual mode just take the gas tube out and plug the gas tube with a plug from spike's tactical.

a chrome bolt carrier group is a better option tho. just need a rag and readily available automotive oil if no gun oil is available. chrome lined bore and chamber would be ideal for survival mode. makes for a very very reliable durable multitasking rifle.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Last edited by JonM; 07-15-2011 at 10:20 PM.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:24 PM   #12

Rex_in_OTZ........ thanks for you input, but I think I might disagree slightly. that is good info about the condensation. Can anybody else please verify that condensation will cause the AR to fail? I live in a very dry environment with little to no condensation so hopefully that wouldn't affect me. Does that just cause the AR to not fire temporarily? or does it cause the gun to fail permanently? wouldn't that be one of those failures that could be dealt with by manually cycling the bolt? give me more details about this condensation failure please.....

I considered the .243win but ultimately decided it was too big and heavy? I'm already stretching it by going with the .223. I'm really trying to choose a rifle for the situation where I have to leave into the wilderness and hide and never show my face to civilization again. I really don't want to have to search for more ammo either. I need to be able to carry at least 1000 rounds. Preferably 1500. I'm not really a believer in the whole "large caliber makes me a larger man" idea. I'm pretty sure that that "little black gun that poops in it's own action" would make even the toughest man cry for his mommy (including you). And if you don't think so, then you are delusional about your manhood. I don't beleive guns make men tough, and definitely not the size of the gun or caliber.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:25 PM   #13

Liked 665 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 671

I would rethink the .22 rifle, .357 handgun. I would rather a bolt action rifle in .308 and a .22 revolver. Semi auto rifle, an AR for 20 years, I would not bet my life on it. If I was bringing a rifle that was semi auto, an AK would be a better choice as would an SKS. Even the thought of a pistol and rifle in the same caliber is very appealing.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:29 PM   #14

Liked 9 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Interesting. I would have said ak-47... or better yet, and ak-74 (the ammo is lighter). They are very reliable, and much more accurate than people give them credit for. Sure you can build ar-15s that can shoot the eyebrow off of a gnat from 700 yards, but that gun will not be a good survival weapon. Weight alone disqualifies it.

Check out my blog:http://ithinkforme.blogspot.com/

Old 07-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #15
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5122 Times on 2667 Posts
Likes Given: 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by package81 View Post
Rex_in_OTZ........ thanks for you input, but I think I might disagree slightly. that is good info about the condensation. Can anybody else please verify that condensation will cause the AR to fail? I live in a very dry environment with little to no condensation so hopefully that wouldn't affect me. Does that just cause the AR to not fire temporarily? or does it cause the gun to fail permanently? wouldn't that be one of those failures that could be dealt with by manually cycling the bolt? give me more details about this condensation failure please.....

I considered the .243win but ultimately decided it was too big and heavy? I'm already stretching it by going with the .223. I'm really trying to choose a rifle for the situation where I have to leave into the wilderness and hide and never show my face to civilization again. I really don't want to have to search for more ammo either. I need to be able to carry at least 1000 rounds. Preferably 1500. I'm not really a believer in the whole "large caliber makes me a larger man" idea. I'm pretty sure that that "little black gun that poops in it's own action" would make even the toughest man cry for his mommy (including you). And if you don't think so, then you are delusional about your manhood. I don't beleive guns make men tough, and definitely not the size of the gun or caliber.
guided hunters going from the lodge to cold the difference in metal temp causes water to condense on and surface. i find it a false issue. ive used my AR and issue M16 in some of the wettest/nasty places (Thailand Hawaii Korea Texas Wisconsin) never had condensation freeze my Ar15 in wisconsin winters going from warm to cold.

my opinion its just a wives tail to denegrate a fine rifle type thats quickly supplanting bolt guns.

failures in reliability in any weapon system is almost always directly related to lack of proper user maintence. doesnt matter if its a slingshot or 16" naval cannon.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-15-2011, 10:35 PM   #16

Liked 665 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 671

Quote:
Originally Posted by package81 View Post

OK, you choose a AR in .223, I choose a bolt gun in .308, 7.62x54r, 6.5x55... You are not far from the mountians. In 1.5 hours you could be deep in and on the edge of the rocky mountian national forest. Most of the bigger game animals will only be injured badly by your AR and 1 shot. With a larger caliber, they are going down. Can you say food for a week! Not to mention hides for clothing and bone/antlers for tools. Can the action on an AR freeze? Oh yes. So can a bolt gun.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:39 PM   #17

Liked 33 Times on 28 Posts

Light weight AR-15
Easy to use and take care AR-15
Light weight for amount of ammo AR-15
Small to medium sized game AR-15
Looks to me that an ARis going to be a great rifle for you.

As far as the AR not killing a deer that is complete and pure BS. It an ar in 556 can kill drugged up muslims it will kill a stinking deer. Good lord "POOPS in its OWN ACTION". WOW... I had 60 30rd mags at my foxhole and I fired every last round as fast as I could hit the bang switch. The barrel was glowing a bright orange the gas tube was white hot the hand guards were starting to smoke and it still kept banging out the rounds and accurately too. If you are going to be using an AR in extremely cold weather get the right lube and use it for it and it will run like a champ.

I have shot an M-16 from -20 to 120* in snow, rain, mud, hail, and sand. If you know how to take care of your weapon it will run for ever.

The AR I have now out shoots my bolt gun in the same caliber.

Plus if you want a little more umph fine get yourself an upper in 6.8 spec to use of deer sized game.

For me I want an upper in 6.8, 6.5, 556, and 22lr. With just one lower you have 4 different guns for anything from Squirrels to Deer sized game.

One guy I hunt ground hogs with uses a 243. It doesn't do half the damage My 223 does on a ground hog. I have kills out to 400 yards with my AR on a ground hog. I shoot 60gr V-Max and at 400 it will spill the guts out the back side for 3 or 4 feet. At 75 my 223 remmy 700 using a 50gr V-Max shot the guts out the back side of a ground hog almost 10'.

In normal everyday life a 223 is not what I would use for deer sized game. But, in a SHTF, EOTWAWKI (End of the world as we know it) I would have no problem use a 223 on anything up to Elk.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:40 PM   #18

deleted because of duplication.

Last edited by package81; 07-15-2011 at 10:46 PM.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:54 PM   #19

Default reply to cory2

cory2 just said that the weight of an AR disqualifies it as a survival weapon.... and suggests the AK47? I thought that the AK47 was heavier than the AR? isn't the ammo heavier too?

AR is much better for weight right?

Last edited by package81; 07-15-2011 at 11:00 PM.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:55 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

My personal choice is the AR-15.