Which rifle will best satisfy my survival requirements. Or are my requirements crap? - Page 12
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Which rifle will best satisfy my survival requirements. Or are my requirements crap?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-28-2011, 09:35 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I agree 100%. Though the Ruger 10/22 is not my first choice in a small caliber survival rifle it's a good gun that's accurate, reliable and reasonably priced. You could do a lot worse. FWIW, my .22LR of choice for the time I may need to disappear into the woods is now the S&W M&P 15-22.

Last edited by rachilders; 07-28-2011 at 09:39 PM.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:35 AM   #112

True north.... thanks a lot for the info and the brainstroming. Your ideas are more than respectable. you have definitely made me reconsider a few things. I have actually been rethinkiing the whole 1000 round idea. It does seem alittle extreme and its also stupid considering it will eventually run out sooner or later and I will need to learn to forage/trap/farm. I was planning on doing that at some point.

The over under combos are a great idea. I looked into those at one point. I'm prettly sure there is a 22lr over 243 winchester combo. I considered that one. But I heard that over unders can have all kinds of problems. Now I'm starting to consider not bringing a hunting weapon at all. I will just trap and forage. I will take a weapon for defense with 300 or 400 rounds. Maybe the lightest ak47 that I can find. Or maybe just a 22 semi auto and pray I don't run into a bear.

How do you guys feel about a lightweight recurve crossbow? Maybe I could pack a few spare strings and limbs? that could probably feed me ok. Plus I would have a chance at being able to reuse or possibly make more ammo. I realize that's not easily done, but It's certainly more likely than making more bullets in the wilderness.

How about a high powered lightweight air rifle or pistol. I remember taking rabbits and squirrels with a classic crossman american air pistol. I could carry at least 1000 rounds of 22 pellets. Does that seem stupid? Sounds pretty fantastic to me. No powder fouling = less maintenance right? I could maybe even take some spare parts. I bet a 22 pellet pistol could take small game at 30yds.you would probablt have a decent chance of reusing or making ammo in the wilderness too. Not easy but more possible than bullets. Let me know if this sounds completely assinine.

Old 07-29-2011, 02:23 PM   #113

Liked 2450 Times on 1396 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

IMO, the weapon isn't as much as an issue as the time.

Maybe a pellet gun wouldn't get powder fouled, but IIRC,

the pellets are solid lead. Lead fouling, and possibly even

lead poisoning could be major issues.

The crossbow- the bowline snaps then you replace it with what?

Ever tried to fashion an accurate crossbow bolt in the wilderness?

I'm not trying to wiz on your parade here, but in any bug-out

scenario, you're either getting it together in less than

twenty weeks, or you're dead...

Old 07-29-2011, 06:08 PM   #114

thanks for the input. i'm sure I would not be able to make a very accurate crossbow bolt, but I am willing to bet I could make one that was at least accurate enough to kill a rabbit 1 out of every 5 shots at 15 yds. I am constantly finding myself within 15 yds of rabbits that are trying the ol' "stay still and they won't see me" trick. Maybe I'm just fantacising, but it seems possible enough to hope for. I'm not sure what the bowline is. I was planning on bringing spare parts that are most likely to break.

Old 07-29-2011, 06:43 PM   #115

Liked 21 Times on 20 Posts
Likes Given: 89

I like the idea of an airgun and/or bow. Most of your game would probably be small anyway (rabbits, squirrels, etc) so an airgun is ideal. Lead shouldn't be a problem since the velocity is too low for fouling and poisoning is a non issue unless you plan on eating all your pellets as well as your game for years on end. You can also carry a thousand pellets in a package that's the same size of a 20 rd box of .223 ammo. The crossbow is simple and accurate at close range plus can be used on larger game like deer and as a self defense weapon if necessary. If you do need to make repairs or new bolts you can probably use materials easily found in nature or in any settled areas you my want to visit if replacements aren't available. They may not work as well as OEM parts, but they can be made and should work well enough. Much easier than trying to build/manufacture a part for a firearm! There is also the obvious fact that they are both weapons that are VERY quiet. Something to consider in a scenario where you want to keep as low a profile as possible. Who knows, may even a sling shot could be an option.

Old 07-30-2011, 12:25 AM   #116

Liked 2450 Times on 1396 Posts
Likes Given: 1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by package81 View Post
thanks for the input. i'm sure I would not be able to make a very accurate crossbow bolt, but I am willing to bet I could make one that was at least accurate enough to kill a rabbit 1 out of every 5 shots at 15 yds. I am constantly finding myself within 15 yds of rabbits that are trying the ol' "stay still and they won't see me" trick. Maybe I'm just fantacising, but it seems possible enough to hope for. I'm not sure what the bowline is. I was planning on bringing spare parts that are most likely to break.
I'm sorry, bowstring. When it breaks, (and it will) how do you replace it?

Not for nothin' but you'll starve if you try to sustain yourself on nothing but rabbits.

There just isn't that much nutrition value there for humans.

Last edited by therewolf; 07-30-2011 at 12:27 AM.

Old 07-30-2011, 02:17 AM   #117

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Package,

its good to see you expanding your thoughts into new ideas with bows and airguns. I'm not saying its a dumb idea that you have, but really its the 20 years that I think is giving me the roadblock.

You have many good choices and ideas, but maybe just don't discount possibly coming back to society one day, or the possibility of resupply. Few disasters are completely permanent, and even if they are, not every round of ammo will be used before the people die off.

A rifle is a great choice, and it will serve you better than a bow that you have less experience with. Just think about why you are in the woods for 20 years, and maybe not venturing into an area that was once developed for supplies.

Its good to be independent, but don't rule out resupply, 20 years is a long time!

"Government is not the solution to our problem. Government is the problem."
- Ronald Reagan

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 01-08-2014, 05:02 PM   #118

Quote:
Originally Posted by Txhillbilly View Post
It all comes down to Shot Placement.No matter whether your using a 22lr or a 500 NE.
500 NE? What about .510 Whisper? From what I've seen it is a much quieter uber round.

Old 01-14-2014, 12:07 AM   #119

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 8

I'd go AR10. The 223 will kill medium sized game but you'd be chasing it as it bleeds out. The ar action is what you want just a different round for more knockdown and power. 7.62x51 is plenty available too. Just heavier

Old 01-14-2014, 01:38 AM   #120

Liked 390 Times on 253 Posts
Likes Given: 1398

Quote:
Originally Posted by cddbrowns View Post
Thats why you carry spares of the "normally worn parts" the same way you would with the bolt action....
Exatly
most of my ARs have a spare firing pin and complete spare bolt in the stock and/or grip
Since you only have 1000 rds your not likely to wear out anything else ( or even those for that matter) if u start with a new gun

Primary Rifle:
LWRC M6A2 w/ Eotech512

Primary Handgun:
Ruger GP100 Royal Phoenix