Which rifle will best satisfy my survival requirements. Or are my requirements crap? - Page 11
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Which rifle will best satisfy my survival requirements. Or are my requirements crap?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2011, 10:51 AM   #101
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2059 Times on 828 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

No I really can't say but you might be able to find out by using the serial number and doing a search for the information, possibly at Ruger web site not sure though.

Here is a nice little read about the Mini-14 to help start your search for what Model it is.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_Mini-14

Last edited by opaww; 07-23-2011 at 10:59 AM.

Old 07-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #102

Likes Given: 2

This is a NO-BRAINER!!! I'd go with the Ma-Duece, Browning M-2 50Cal............. DUH! Geez!

“Freedom is something that dies unless it's used” -HST

"In a nation ruled by swine, all pigs are upwardly mobile—and the rest of us are F###ed until we can put our acts together: not necessarily to win, but mainly to keep from losing completely. We owe that to ourselves and our crippled self-image as something better than a nation of panicked sheep."-HST

Old 07-24-2011, 07:06 PM   #103

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

This is a question, OP, which I, and many others have been skulling for years.

No matter how big or strong you are, or how good or well thought out your

gear is, there's NO WAY you get 20+ years worth of equipment on your back.

1)Study the area you plan to use. Know the edible plants. Look to

ways to hunt WITHOUT a gun, it will make having a gun easier.

2)Figure out a stash/cache paradigm.

3)Start preparing plans for barter/acquiring what you need. Simple

items, like pure water, nourishing food, and shelter are going to be more valuable than gold,

grenades, and machine guns.

Old 07-24-2011, 10:17 PM   #104

Liked 2158 Times on 1182 Posts
Likes Given: 1394

No offense to anybody. But I skipped ahead because I was getting a headacke from all the drama.

Anyway, I can't imagine being able to carry 1000 rounds of anything except maybe 22lr. Even 223 is too heavy when you talk about carrying 1000 rounds. I would figure if you have to be mobile you are going to have to carry a 22lr if you need 1000 rounds. Maybe you throw 100 rounds of a rifle caliber in your pack. But you would want it to be a military caliber. Perhaps an SKS, AK or an AR would be just the ticket. Truth is if you are really thinking end of the world stuff, it wouldn't matter which one you pick. You would end up trading it in for what ever shoots ammo found the most laying on the ground.

Long term survival would be a lot harder than most people think. I can make snares and start fires without matches. I know how to build a multitude of shelters. But I honestly think anything more than a couple of weeks would be difficult for even the most experienced outdoorsman. And being totally alone for long periods of time would make many people start talking to a ball named Wilson. (From the movie Castaway)
Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 07-25-2011, 02:30 PM   #105

Liked 2611 Times on 1484 Posts
Likes Given: 2004

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick1967 View Post
No offense to anybody. But I skipped ahead because I was getting a headacke from all the drama.

Anyway, I can't imagine being able to carry 1000 rounds of anything except maybe 22lr. Even 223 is too heavy when you talk about carrying 1000 rounds. I would figure if you have to be mobile you are going to have to carry a 22lr if you need 1000 rounds. Maybe you throw 100 rounds of a rifle caliber in your pack. But you would want it to be a military caliber. Perhaps an SKS, AK or an AR would be just the ticket. Truth is if you are really thinking end of the world stuff, it wouldn't matter which one you pick. You would end up trading it in for what ever shoots ammo found the most laying on the ground.

Long term survival would be a lot harder than most people think. I can make snares and start fires without matches. I know how to build a multitude of shelters. But I honestly think anything more than a couple of weeks would be difficult for even the most experienced outdoorsman. And being totally alone for long periods of time would make many people start talking to a ball named Wilson. (From the movie Castaway)
Yeah, see, now all this time I've been thinking SKS, or Mosin M44 as a

viable rifle for many scenarios. Combloc ammo is cheap. The 762x54R

is very comparable to the 30-06. The M44 is carbine sized, very solid,

and will trade parts with any other Mosin...

Old 07-27-2011, 03:24 PM   #106

Liked 16 Times on 13 Posts

Default ultimate survival gun

I respect all opinions ......but 2 other options on any rifle /caliber that I would have to have to really survive would be a forearm made of sweet poontang and a buttstock made of beef jerky ! Can Yall really do with out these ultimate options on your survival gun?

Old 07-27-2011, 09:24 PM   #107

Liked 12 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I am a big fan of the 223rem cartridge. My choice in a survival rifle would be a pistol cartridge lever action; i.e. 357mag, 44mag or 45lc.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:49 AM   #108

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Well, I'm not sure if the OP is still checking in here, but I figure I'll throw in some talk for the heck of it.

This will be long. Its for the OP, so forgive me now!

-I believe you when you say you can carry 90lbs and travel 5-8 miles per day, mostly because I have no reason not to believe you.
-You say that you plan to be on the move often and not be in one spot, want to carry 1000rds, / 20 years of goods / 2 guns.
- SHTF so no resupply ever/ you're never coming back.
- You don't plan on shooting large game other than maybe small deer.

Basically you want to be a nomad who lives day to day - as you describe it.You listed some other specs but overall I figure that sums up your plan.

SO while others have given you good advice on guns and I won't disagree, I should inform you that I think that your plan is overly ambitious, so I will point out what I think is a bit weak, and leave it to you to agree/disagree and modify as you wish.

Idea
Note: you never mentioned if the 1000 was of each type, a mix of pistol/rifle 50/50, 80/20 etc.

While 1000 rounds is alot to carry, for 20 years that amounts to less than 1 round per week (assuming all 1000 are the main rifle calibre). If you do not intend to kill large game that will feed you for many days, and not farming (because you don't want to settle) then you are foraging ALOT. That may be fine for spring and summer, but winter might get tricky, unless you are in a warm climate - I'm in Canada so winter is cold and white! Add in possible battles, and your supply is inadequate without resupply.
ADVICE
So for ammo/ food you'll either need to trap/use alternative hunting, resupply ammo from towns, or settle in either farm, or kill large game to make each shot count more.

Problem
20 years is a long time, and as said by others you won't be able to carry or make everything you need without settling down. Maybe reconsider the 20 years. Heck try to do it for one year! I get where your going and I don't want to rain on the parade, I'm just saying its ambitious.
Advice
Reconsider the 20 years, and either settle in with a remote cabin, or rethink the idea of living independently forever. Unless you can do it without a gun and just a knife and whatever you can make in the wild that is.

Problem
Life-time warranty on your clothing is not worth much. Most winter clothing, even good stuff, is not meant to be in the elements 24/7. I spend alot of time outdoors in the winter, and I buy good stuff, and it does fail. Consider that you are in SHTF, constantly outdoors, on the run (as you say) never settling in. Most clohting is meant to be used by skiiers on vacation and then stored for 75% of the year - what kind of use are you planning. That clothing will fail sooner than you think.
Advice
None! Sorry, but just keep it in mind that all things fail sooner than you think they will. If they don't great!

Problem
90lb pack, as I said I believe you if you say you can make it, but if you are moving a lot, trying to evade/ move without resting much...
Advice
Go lighter! I say carry only 60% of the weight that you think you can handle. You will travel better if you need to be on the move alot.

This is not criticism, I'm just trying to spur more thought on the matter. I get that you're trying to get yourself setup for permanent off-the grid stuff. But the way you describe it I see it being unworkable without reverting to a neanderthal status. Try looking at modern day and historic nomads. Gypsies, arab desert nomads, even homeless people and kids backpacking through Europe, or retirees traveling the US and Canada. They tend to travel slow, with lots of gear, and they rest often or have semi-permanent shelters at various points to hunker down in.

Sorry to all for the long post.

OH and I like a 308 bolt action or semi. with a .22lr boltrifle or handgun. If you want to avoid combat, then you don't really need a combat gun.

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association

Old 07-28-2011, 01:39 PM   #109

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

20 years with the possibility of no re-supply of gun cleaning supplies? I would go with a breach-loader for my primary weapon. Very few moving parts, and can still function after a lot of corrosion and banging around. I would avoid a combo because that adds more moving parts (for the selection lever). You could add a lightweight revolver in the same caliber for those (hopefully) rare times when you need volume fire. And learn some trapping skills and manufacture a bow and arrows to hunt quietly, reserve the gun(s) for when you are really hungry or in a tight spot.

Old 07-28-2011, 07:05 PM   #110

Liked 10 Times on 5 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Sorry, I thought about this overnight.

For you I actually recommend a .22lr rifle. in Semi-auto. With a combo over-under in .22lr and .223.
Since you plan to hunt on a piece-meal basis you need small rounds for small critters and lots of them. This is the only round that you'll carry over 1000 of comfortably. (and from my above post, you'll need over 1000 as I understand your plan). Plus, while you may carry lots of .223 I think the physical space in your pack would limit you, but 300 .22lr rounds are about the size of my fist, making it light and small.

A 10/22 could be the defensive / main gun and the combo could be a remington break-action o/u .22lr and .223; It has double triggers so few moving parts (no selector switch I don't think). and would serve as a backup for the 10/22. You could then carry some .223 for a bit larger game if you want without breaking your back. You will need to stop sometime to rest/heal/make clothing etc. So you might have time to take larger game and dress them and whatnot.

Now, the 10/22 as a defensive gun? .22 rounds are equivalent to say number 1 buckshot (I think) so hitting a man with 6-7 .22lr is like hitting him with a buckload of shot. Could he survive, yes, but you are not trying to be Rambo, you just want the opponents down so that you can move on! Even if you are being chased, once a round is fired in the air most people hit the dirt. They won't wait to see what your firing. So again, combat without fighting is your plan. Your goal is not to kill but to escape, if necessary a 22lr will kill though.
Since huting small game is the primary goal, and ammo counts must be high the 22lr is your best choice. With some .223 for larger game when you do setup small camps.

Ruger 10/22, Remington O/U .22lr/.223, and no pistol! 2000 .22lr, maybe 100 of .223?

Formerly we suffered from crimes; now we suffer from laws.
- Publius Cornelius Tacitus

"We are the people that we have been waiting for."
-Unknown-

"No Compromise"
Canada's National Firearms Association