Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Which rifle will best satisfy my survival requirements. Or are my requirements crap?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2011, 09:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Which rifle will best satisfy my survival requirements. Or are my requirements crap?

I have been thinking about purchasing a survival rifle. I have a decent level amount of firearms knowledge but not enough to really know what would be the best choice. I also don't have alot of experience with firearms in the wilderness.

Below are all the characteristics that I would like in my survival rifle. Please note that I realize that I might not be able to get all of these characteristics in one gun. If you think that 2 guns could satisfy these requirements and still be reasonable and fairly lightweight, then by all means.

1. Capable of killing small and medium sized game.
2. Can keep me alive in moderate attacks/shootouts against..... cannibles/zombies/predators/chinese. I realize that I would get my ass handed to me in a shootout against anybody with experience or better equipement. I just want enough firepower to defeat or deter a mild to moderate attack. I plan on hiding most of this time and minding my own business.
3. Can carry at least 1000 rounds in my survival pack. Note: I am a large experienced hiker that can go 5-8 miles a day with a 90lb pack.
4. Can carry all required maintenance tools/products to keep the gun running for at least 20 years in wilderness. ***** increadibly important to me *****
5. If the action or other moving parts fail, I would like the gun to be able to still operate in single shot mode. i.e.... still be able to open the chamber and load manually and shoot single shots for hunting or defense. Basically, what kind of action fails the best...and doesn't leave the gun totally useless.
6. Would like killing ability out to AT LEAST 100yards. For hunting and protection.
7. Reasonably lightweight.

So far I'm leaning towards getting an AR15 with stainless 18" barrel. I'm just not sure if that is a simple enough weapon to fit my low-maintenance qualification. Will the action fail gracefully in an AR? Or will it become a paperweight.

I'm also leaning toward the Marlin Papoose 22lr in combination with an all stainless Ruger Single Six 7.5" barrel .357mag. Overall this is the lighter, cheaper option. The papoose will give me semi auto ability. What do you think is more likely to stand up to 20 years of low maintenance wilderness abuse. The AR or the "papoose with single six combo"? Or would a bolt action be better? I have heard that the milspec AR's are designed to never fail even with little maintenance and care. that makes me think that the AR is the smarter choice. Also the AR gives me more firepower and range. I wonder if the papoose would fail gracefully so that I could still operate it in single shot mode? Also, if my single six failed somehow, I'm pretty sure it would become a paperweight. If the cylinder wouldn't rotate or something? Anyway, maybe I'm over analyzing the whole "failing gracefully" thing. But I have just always wondered if certain guns would fail better than others and still give you the option for single shot. I suppose there is no gun that is immune to becomming a paper weight eventually. I know there are alot of questions here. Sorry this is so long. Please give me any input you can think of. Thanks.

Last edited by package81; 07-15-2011 at 09:05 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-15-2011, 09:04 PM   #2

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by package81 View Post
I have been thinking about purchasing a survival rifle. I have a decent level amount of firearms knowledge but not enough to really know what would be the best choice. I also don't have alot of experience with firearms in the wilderness.

Below are all the characteristics that I would like in my survival rifle. Please note that I realize that I might not be able to get all of these characteristics in one gun. If you think that 2 guns could satisfy these requirements and still be reasonable and fairly lightweight, then by all means.

1. Capable of killing small and medium sized game.
2. Can keep me alive in moderate attacks/shootouts against..... cannibles/zombies/predators/chinese. I realize that I would get my ass handed to me in a shootout against anybody with experience or better equipement. I just want enough firepower to defeat or deter a mild to moderate attack. I plan on hiding most of this time and minding my own business.
3. Can carry at least 1000 rounds in my survival pack. Note: I am a large experienced hiker that can go 5-8 miles a day with a 90lb pack.
4. Can carry all required maintenance tools/products to keep the gun running for at least 20 years in wilderness. ***** increadibly important to me *****
5. If the action or other moving parts fail, I would like the gun to be able to still operate in single shot mode. i.e.... still be able to open the chamber and load manually and shoot single shots for hunting or defense. Basically, what kind of action fails the best...and doesn't leave the gun totally useless.
6. Would like killing ability out to AT LEAST 100yards. For hunting and protection.
7. Reasonably lightweight.

So far I'm leaning towards getting an AR15 with stainless 18" barrel. I'm just not sure if that is a simple enough weapon to fit my low-maintenance qualification. Will the action fail gracefully in an AR? Or will it become a paperweight.

I'm also leaning toward the Marlin Papoose 22lr in combination with an all stainless Ruger Single Six 7.5" barrel .357mag. Overall this is the lighter, cheaper option. The papoose will give me semi auto ability. What do you think is more likely to stand up to 20 years of low maintenance wilderness abuse. The AR or the "papoose with single six combo"? I have heard that the milspec AR's are designed to never fail even with little maintenance and care. that makes me think that the AR is the smarter choice. Also the AR gives me more firepower and range. I wonder if the papoose would fail gracefully so that I could still operate it in single shot mode? Also, if my single six failed somehow, I'm pretty sure it would become a paperweight. If the cylinder wouldn't rotate or something? Anyway, maybe I'm over analyzing the whole "failing gracefully" thing. But I have just always wondered if certain guns would fail better than others and still give you the option for single shot. I suppose there is no gun that is immune to becomming a paper weight eventually. I know there are alot of questions here. Sorry this is so long. Please give me any input you can think of. Thanks.
AR-15 would be my best bet.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:06 PM   #3

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Dido, a 22 caliber..............the AR-15.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 07-15-2011, 09:10 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5255 Times on 2741 Posts
Likes Given: 331

there are some vids of colt testing m4 carbines to failure. gas tube literaly explodes from excessive heat and the gun continues to fire manually cycling the bolt.

ar15 can also fire 22lr with a simple drop in kit means you can take deer sized criiters with super light easy to carry ammo.

do it all weapon i would go ar15. easy to get and carry spares highly reliable with easy lightweight spare parts. its actually very simple gun for a semi.

unlike bolt guns Ar15 parts from other AR tend to be simple drop in.

AR15 is a no brainer choice

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 07-15-2011, 09:12 PM   #5

canebrake..... what do you mean by "Dido, a 22 caliber".

You think I should get an AR chambered for 22lr?

Old 07-15-2011, 09:33 PM   #6

JonM.... now that's good info that me and my pulse can use!!!! thanks man!

So the AR can essentially fire in "manual mode" if the gas tube fails? Could you always fire it in "manual mode" if you desire? I'm not very familiar with the AR action. It just seems like if you could fire it in manual mode all the time, you would prevent alot of the fouling from the gas tube and possibly prevent having to clean as often. that would be an incredibly valuable capability to only have to use the gas tube when you really needed to establish some firepower. I suppose that "manual mode" doesn't really work like I'm imagining though. it doesn't necessarily cause the gas tube to not be used?... you would only ever use it if the action failed to properly put another round in the chamber?......it's simply just to get the next bullet in the chamber and the firing pin back in case the recoil fails to do so?......

Could you use manual mode if other parts of the action fail? Just how many parts have to fail in order for the gun to become useless? just curious.

I wonder which parts would be the best to carry spares for? which parts are most likely to fail under low maintenance?

Last edited by package81; 07-15-2011 at 09:36 PM.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:35 PM   #7

Liked 20 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default one of two things

when it come down to makeing a choice you have one of two choices the real hunting gun you will use and the plinko matic fun gun.

when the chips are down a single round of scoped .243 winchester is going to do the job of 4-5 rounds of .223rem, its going to do it further and with more authority than the little black gun that poops in its own action.
hunters in my parts refuse to carry them as a wolf hunting gun because the condensation freezing up the gun rendering it unuseable during a hunt.

what it all boils down to in the end is your hunting and will be needing a hunting gun that works every time. its like takeing a trim hammer to frame a house, use the correct tool for the job.
the .223 is a varmit round, thats what it was initally designed to be and do till the military got ahold of it and perverted its use and has been wounding people ever since and not efficently at doing that either.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:48 PM   #8

Im planning using my AR-15 when the zombies arrive. 223 ammo is easy to find. I dnno about those other uses, but this is my zombie gun. (iron sight 30 rd mags.

Old 07-15-2011, 09:54 PM   #9
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1112 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 521

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rex in OTZ View Post
when it come down to makeing a choice you have one of two choices the real hunting gun you will use and the plinko matic fun gun.

when the chips are down a single round of scoped .243 winchester is going to do the job of 4-5 rounds of .223rem, its going to do it further and with more authority than the little black gun that poops in its own action.
hunters in my parts refuse to carry them as a wolf hunting gun because the condensation freezing up the gun rendering it unuseable during a hunt.

what it all boils down to in the end is your hunting and will be needing a hunting gun that works every time. its like takeing a trim hammer to frame a house, use the correct tool for the job.
the .223 is a varmit round, thats what it was initally designed to be and do till the military got ahold of it and perverted its use and has been wounding people ever since and not efficently at doing that either.
It all comes down to Shot Placement.No matter whether your using a 22lr or a 500 NE.
If you don't shoot a vital area,no matter how big a bullet you use.The animal will not drop in it's tracks,it will run off and die.

Old 07-15-2011, 10:09 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5731 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by package81 View Post
I'm also leaning toward the Marlin Papoose 22lr in combination with an all stainless Ruger Single Six 7.5" barrel .357mag. Overall this is the lighter, cheaper option.
I have an old Marlin model 60 that is very similar to the Papoose, just doesn't break down for carry; i like it and think it would be a good game getter for anything up to rabbitses. I also have a Ruger GP100, 6" barrel that could be used for larger game at close range.

If you are more worried about defense than hunting, maybe an SKS wouldn't be the worst idea. It and its ammo are heavier than the Papoose by a good bit, but it is VERY simple in operation and easy to maintain. .22LR ammo will surely be available, but i think there will be some 7.62x39mm for the SKS also.

I have personally wondered about setting up a cache of ammo at a secondary location rather than trying to carry it all, should i have to bail.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.