Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rifle for shtf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-01-2012, 07:35 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 675

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Relax my old man. I've given away more Mausers, their bayonets and accesories (including to my BIL who is a Mauser collector) than you own. They had a time and place. A modern SHTF rifle none are. We know u own 'em and are proud. I knew there'd be someone like you to drag these anachronistic arms out of the dustheap of history (go to Bannerman's Island -- hundreds of thousands were just abandoned there) and it was just the luck of the draw that a) I picked 6.5 Swede and b) it was the cheap gun you happened to buy. I'm not attacking you or the round or the gun. Just able to think two centuries ahead of you, that's all.

Look, let's just pretend that I said 7.65 Argentine and that I don't have full stands of arms of each including "Engineers." Now you can go on your merry way, OK Sir? Jeez, I just thank heaven you don't have a POS Mosin Nagant to swear by!
I do!!! It is a PU 91/30. Same bet. You stand 400 yards away. I'll put one between your eyes. Maybe in one, if I'm off a bit. More modern you say, ok a 1962 M1600 small ring '98 Mauser in 6.5x55 and strait 4x32mm scope, or a 15 year old Howa 1500 in .308. It has a modified Mauser action as does almost every effective modern rifle such as Savage, Winchester, Ruger, although Ruger is a true Mauser action.
Calling me old man still does not change the fact you are completely clueless and never learned to play well with others while riding the short bus. You state nothing but a personal opinion that is worth nothing, while attempting to degrade others and boost your small ego. Play nice, Don't be an @ss. I agreed w/ you on some points and you flew off on some BS tangent of obsolete. OK would you call this obsolete??

OMG, It's a Mauser!!! CZ Counter sniper. Your an f---ing genius.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

People Like This 
Old 12-01-2012, 08:01 PM   #32

Liked 81 Times on 64 Posts

Get a bunch of mosin nagants you can buy a crate of those rifles for as much as 1 milspec ar 15 and have enough rifles to to arm the family neighbors and friends good enough for world war 1&2, russian civil war, vietnam war, and even to this day by iraqi snipers its battle proven if its good enough for wars from 1950s and still used today then it good enough for SHTF

Old 12-01-2012, 09:33 PM   #33

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Now let me think. What will I be when the SHTF comes? I don't think I will be a cowboy. I don't want to be an infantryman or a commando guy. I don't want to be a zombie hunter. I know; I'll be a sniper. I'm going to move onto a roof top someplace with my outdated 6.5x55 Swedish custom Mauser, my outdated 7x57 Ruger single shot, my outdated .225 Winchester custom Ruger single shot, and my more modern Marlin .25-06. I'm going to stock pile a whole bunch of powder, primers, brass and bullets and spend several hours every night reloading ammo until I have bucket fulls of the stuff. Then, when I see a zombie or a suspicious looking citizen while perched on the roof top, I will take him out with one shot and no one will know where it came from. Does anyone know when the SHTF is going to come? I can't wait. We get to camp out and everything.
cottontop
AR's have came a long way. When they first came out I would have to agree with you, but with the current selection and quality of AR's that are now offered, I would hate to be without one when the SHTF. I have put thousands of rounds down range out of both of mine and have no problem with either one. Each to his own as they say, but when you run out of all that special ammo, you wll be screwed. There is no substitute for firepower.

Semper Fi

"One shot one kill"

Old 12-01-2012, 09:41 PM   #34

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmranch

AR's have came a long way. When they first came out I would have to agree with you, but with the current selection and quality of AR's that are now offered, I would hate to be without one when the SHTF. I have put thousands of rounds down range out of both of mine and have no problem with either one. Each to his own as they say, but when you run out of all that special ammo, you wll be screwed. There is no substitute for firepower.
If i COULD affordan AR...smith n wesson mp15 would be theonly thing id POSSIBLY be able to swing.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:45 PM   #35
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19859 Times on 11278 Posts
Likes Given: 50043

Quote:
Originally Posted by rpmranch View Post
in a SHTF scenario, even ammo is an infinite commodity. even bullets, primers and powders. but those who reload and have large quantities of reloading components will have means to make ammo.

Old 12-01-2012, 09:50 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by hq357 View Post
Get a bunch of mosin nagants you can buy a crate of those rifles for as much as 1 milspec ar 15 and have enough rifles to to arm the family neighbors and friends good enough for world war 1&2, russian civil war, vietnam war, and even to this day by iraqi snipers its battle proven if its good enough for wars from 1950s and still used today then it good enough for SHTF
Stop making sense!!!
A rifle that is 1891 technology and can be had for $89.00 and another $80.00 for 440 rounds of ammo has to be inferior. Forget being a rifleman, you need technology. Oh Sh!t wait, .22WMR came out in 1959. 53 years ago. Must be why there are so many that think the .17HMR is better. Not that I do, but everyone has opinions.

locutus Likes This 
Old 12-01-2012, 10:04 PM   #37

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Not saying i could afford it but if i was to get a springfield m1a would 308 be abundant? Does our military stilluse em?

Old 12-01-2012, 10:19 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry View Post
Not saying i could afford it but if i was to get a springfield m1a would 308 be abundant? Does our military stilluse em?
They are 7.62x51. Yes they do use the M14 in one or another configuration.

Old 12-02-2012, 02:34 PM   #39
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5148 Times on 2936 Posts
Likes Given: 4367

Quote:
Originally Posted by TooStrongTerry View Post

A tiny handful of M14s are used by designated marksmen. But 7.62X51 is readily available because both of our standard machine guns, the M -60 and the M240 use it. The Dillon mini-gun, which is starting to come online also uses it.

5.56X45 is much more readily available though, and it's lighter, cheaper and at CQB ranges just as effective.

"Politics is the art of the possible" Otto von Bismarck.

Old 12-02-2012, 08:07 PM   #40

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Smith and wesson mp15...anybody have any experience with this? Ive shot one a few times but nothing to "put it through the ringer"