Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rifle for shtf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 03:06 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 715 Times on 472 Posts
Likes Given: 761

Untill I get a Garand, ill just be rocking my 1903....

For the OP... What about one of them Browning Mag-fed lever actions? I think they come in all the common calibers...

Last edited by Trez; 11-30-2012 at 03:08 PM.

Old 11-30-2012, 03:53 PM   #22

What about a Mossberg MVP? Bolt-action .223 that takes readily available AR15 mags.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/rifles/centerfire/mvp-varmint

Old 11-30-2012, 04:34 PM   #23
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1799 Times on 979 Posts
Likes Given: 556

I have been looking at the MVP but my AR is accurate enough to handle anything in the 5.56x45 range. The 308 in a light handy rifle seems to be the best bet as far as ammo supply and maybe out to 500 yard or a little more. Other very popular cartridges would be the 270 and the 30-06. The 270 is my favorite but for shft the 308 might be a better choice as you may not be around a loading bench and the supply is huge compared to other rounds.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
"Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and promoted by mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a piece of feces by the clean end."

Old 11-30-2012, 04:57 PM   #24

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

The BLR (Browning Leveraction Rifle) in takedown .308 with the Scout scopemount is my own dream gun and you can't have it! They are really quite expensive.

I didn't mention Mossberh rifles, which have developed quite a positive reputation of late, because I didn't think they have lefty models.

And leave it to this forum to a) have a guy who inherited a fairly worthless sporterized 6.5 Swede to b) introduce Zombies into the conversation. Shame on you Sir. Shame! Put on your brown three-piece suit, get in your AMC Pacer, go to your place of worship, and beg forgiveness...

Old 11-30-2012, 05:10 PM   #25

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by collector_rob
What about a Mossberg MVP? Bolt-action .223 that takes readily available AR15 mags.

http://www.mossberg.com/products/rifles/centerfire/mvp-varmint
They dont make lefties. Ive checked em out.

Ive also checked out the BLR about a year ago...like 800+ and magazine are like 40-60$$$$

Old 11-30-2012, 05:11 PM   #26

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Oh and the BLR is WAAAYYYYtoo nice for "rough and tumble" gun ya know?

Old 11-30-2012, 08:11 PM   #27

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 709

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
The BLR (Browning Leveraction Rifle) in takedown .308 with the Scout scopemount is my own dream gun and you can't have it! They are really quite expensive.

I didn't mention Mossberh rifles, which have developed quite a positive reputation of late, because I didn't think they have lefty models.

And leave it to this forum to a) have a guy who inherited a fairly worthless sporterized 6.5 Swede to b) introduce Zombies into the conversation. Shame on you Sir. Shame! Put on your brown three-piece suit, get in your AMC Pacer, go to your place of worship, and beg forgiveness...

You should have been around when I sold my Steel receiver .308 BLR. Not what would suggest for SHTF. External mags take time to load. Traditional levers have a tube, or call it internal mag. You can add rounds quickly without having to drop anything and making the rifle useless. Mausers also have an internal mag well that you can add rounds to quickly. We should have a mad minute competition here on the forum. You would find out very fast how effective the Mauser system is w/ irons. Bash all you want, but when you're pushing daisies I'll be very much alive. Your opinion about the Mauser and 6.5x55 are worthless since your just a fanboy that has never had the sense to actually use one. You stand 400 yards away w/ your .22 mag from me. Bet I hit you w/ the 1st shot while yours hits the dirt 50 yards away.
The M41b was called the last of the 800 yard killers. Swede M96 w/ a Pre WW2 German Ajack scope in 6.5x55. Look for articles by Kim Du Tout. Everything that came after the Spanish American war in bolt actions is based on the Mauser. That is a fact. You need to get out and live on the good side of bolt actions. M96, M38, 24/47, M98, M09 it does not matter. Even the revered 1903 is a Mauser child as is the .30-06

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

People Like This 
Old 11-30-2012, 11:58 PM   #28

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
You should have been around when I sold my Steel receiver .308 BLR. Not what would suggest for SHTF. External mags take time to load. Traditional levers have a tube, or call it internal mag. You can add rounds quickly without having to drop anything and making the rifle useless. Mausers also have an internal mag well that you can add rounds to quickly. We should have a mad minute competition here on the forum. You would find out very fast how effective the Mauser system is w/ irons. Bash all you want, but when you're pushing daisies I'll be very much alive. Your opinion about the Mauser and 6.5x55 are worthless since your just a fanboy that has never had the sense to actually use one. You stand 400 yards away w/ your .22 mag from me. Bet I hit you w/ the 1st shot while yours hits the dirt 50 yards away.
The M41b was called the last of the 800 yard killers. Swede M96 w/ a Pre WW2 German Ajack scope in 6.5x55. Look for articles by Kim Du Tout. Everything that came after the Spanish American war in bolt actions is based on the Mauser. That is a fact. You need to get out and live on the good side of bolt actions. M96, M38, 24/47, M98, M09 it does not matter. Even the revered 1903 is a Mauser child as is the .30-06
Relax my old man. I've given away more Mausers, their bayonets and accesories (including to my BIL who is a Mauser collector) than you own. They had a time and place. A modern SHTF rifle none are. We know u own 'em and are proud. I knew there'd be someone like you to drag these anachronistic arms out of the dustheap of history (go to Bannerman's Island -- hundreds of thousands were just abandoned there) and it was just the luck of the draw that a) I picked 6.5 Swede and b) it was the cheap gun you happened to buy. I'm not attacking you or the round or the gun. Just able to think two centuries ahead of you, that's all.

Look, let's just pretend that I said 7.65 Argentine and that I don't have full stands of arms of each including "Engineers." Now you can go on your merry way, OK Sir? Jeez, I just thank heaven you don't have a POS Mosin Nagant to swear by!

Old 12-01-2012, 12:04 AM   #29

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Any who. Brownings are gorgeous. Those takedowns are sick. But like 900 it seems like....maybe tax season...lol

Old 12-01-2012, 02:23 AM   #30

Default rifles

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Relax my old man. I've given away more Mausers, their bayonets and accesories (including to my BIL who is a Mauser collector) than you own. They had a time and place. A modern SHTF rifle none are. We know u own 'em and are proud. I knew there'd be someone like you to drag these anachronistic arms out of the dustheap of history (go to Bannerman's Island -- hundreds of thousands were just abandoned there) and it was just the luck of the draw that a) I picked 6.5 Swede and b) it was the cheap gun you happened to buy. I'm not attacking you or the round or the gun. Just able to think two centuries ahead of you, that's all.

Look, let's just pretend that I said 7.65 Argentine and that I don't have full stands of arms of each including "Engineers." Now you can go on your merry way, OK Sir? Jeez, I just thank heaven you don't have a POS Mosin Nagant to swear by!

The only thing I have EVER agreed with you on ANYTHING is that the Mosin Nagant is a POS. Other than that, I don't believe you have a freaking clue about ANYTHING!
cottontop

People Like This