Rifle for shtf - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rifle for shtf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-30-2012, 01:22 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

The 6.5 Swede was invented a long time ago. So was diarhea. One can't be serious, or taken seriously, to recommend such an obsolete round as our friend is looking for.

No, I would not replace a .22 LR w/a .22 Magnum UNLESS it were the only gun I had. And if the features and benefits of a .22 rimfire are going to make it your "survival rifle" then I couldn't urge you strongly enough to replace the Long Rifle cartridge with the Magnum. But this was a side suggestion in case you really weren't requiring a centerfire. Better than a good, stout, sharp stick is a .22 LR. A .22 Mag is twice as good as that! The best you'll do in a rimfire. About as powerful as a .38 at point blank range. But I would not compare it power-wise to a centerfire cartridge which is something else altogether...

I get back to the .223 if you don't hunt big game. Will it do what you want, accurately, be available, affordable, etc.? Pick your caliber, THEN concentrate on the gun. Usually how it's done. But OK.

Bolt's are simple and reliable. In fact I sold a friend my shortened Ruger .223 All-Weather bolt like an idiot, but this non-hunter couldn't deal with the .30-30 lever of mine he just had to have before that. Ruger still makes a stainless synthetic bolt in .223 but they are a little pricey. Well, modern semi's ARE reliable too, and fun, and offer their own features and benefits (albeit less simple).

So, what'll it be? .223 or .308? Next...

Bolt or gas?

Savage making their Scout Rifle in .223 these days? Might be the way to go...

Old 11-30-2012, 01:44 AM   #12

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Alright. Hmm... Well 22lr is a given.

I just wanna get my set firearms down. Besides...make the argument even more practical for me...i cant afford much more than $500 for any gun. Another reason for bolt.

Ithink .223 will be my route. Thanks guys.

Now...rifle...

Hocka how much is "pricey" for that allweather you were talkin about?

Old 11-30-2012, 03:34 AM   #13

$638 to $725 in my area, and this isn't exactly the original All Weather, but, didn't u say u were left handed? 5+1 capacity isn't too bad...
http://www.ruger.com/products/m77HawkeyeAllWeather/models.html

For what u wanna spend and if left handed your choices might be limited. Still, there're some good, inexpensive, bolt guns out there today. Someone'll let you know. Then there's always this when you're rich and famous and go .308...

ruger-scout-rifle-left.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 11-30-2012 at 03:47 AM.

Old 11-30-2012, 04:15 AM   #14

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

That is beautiful lmao. I like the sights on that. With some see thru rings thatd be great.

Old 11-30-2012, 05:34 AM   #15
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21578 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

i will add my two cents into this. from what i gather, you seem to be short a rifle or two and looking for a couple? well either a 22lr or a 22 Mag for sure. as said i happen to agree with either a 223, or a 308, or possibly even a 30-06 bolt action rifle for a center fire. all three of these are fairly common in regards to ammo choices and availability. (at this time!)

as i am way too old to be trekking across the country and don't plan on bugging out, but much more likely to hunker down. i already have a vast assortment of different rifles in various calibers, i see no reason for me to go out and buy something new, unless i just happen to get an itch for one. many of us already have several rifles, and some in less than popular calibers. so many of us will just make do with what we have. i will. many of us reload and would plan on bugging in rather than bugging out, so as long as we have bullets, powders and primers, we have ammo. i am much more prepared for bugging in and in that i am not locked into having to choose between one or two to carry with me and their ammo.

Old 11-30-2012, 06:44 AM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Yeah unfortunately my house is not one to castle in. Hopefully in a few years we will be gone lol but yes short a few rifles lol long story short i had to get rid of a few firearms i had.

Old 11-30-2012, 11:39 AM   #17

So, good question: can anyone recommend a left-handed bolt that's rugged, maybe indestructible/who-cares stainless steel and synthetic stocked, but relatively inexpensive with iron sights that's drilled and tapped and has a box mag? Hey Savage, ya listening!?

Old 11-30-2012, 12:01 PM   #18

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Yep AR and learn to use the rifle, and learn the rifle well "Using it, and assembly" The ones who just buy the rifle will have no clue about their AR will end up dead and when SHTF they will be laying dead with a AR you can grab for parts for your AR if needed And maybe even get better parts or optics also FREE

Like the movie Zombieland when they find the hummer with all the guns perfect example of well prepared but no idea what to do with the tools for safety. Anyone can purchase a tool but learning to use the tool is the next step after the purchase. We are all lucky to have great boards like this to expand our learning further about our tools.

Old 11-30-2012, 12:31 PM   #19

Now let me think. What will I be when the SHTF comes? I don't think I will be a cowboy. I don't want to be an infantryman or a commando guy. I don't want to be a zombie hunter. I know; I'll be a sniper. I'm going to move onto a roof top someplace with my outdated 6.5x55 Swedish custom Mauser, my outdated 7x57 Ruger single shot, my outdated .225 Winchester custom Ruger single shot, and my more modern Marlin .25-06. I'm going to stock pile a whole bunch of powder, primers, brass and bullets and spend several hours every night reloading ammo until I have bucket fulls of the stuff. Then, when I see a zombie or a suspicious looking citizen while perched on the roof top, I will take him out with one shot and no one will know where it came from. Does anyone know when the SHTF is going to come? I can't wait. We get to camp out and everything.
cottontop

jpattersonnh Likes This 
Old 11-30-2012, 01:51 PM   #20

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

cottontop,

I like your way of thinking.
That won't work for me. Any shot/s as in you description, would draw attention to that lone house on the hill side. Have to kill'em all.
The good and the bad is that I will have to be quick when disposing of the bodies, but I will get to add to my supplies, well not much with the zombie option.

Enjoy,

OSOK