Rifle for shtf
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rifle for shtf

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-29-2012, 07:11 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Default Rifle for shtf

Whats up guys...soooo ive started lookin into bolt action rifles. And for a prepping point of view im starting to think one would be great for a shtf situation. I love the fact that it is one moving part. Easyto disassemble and clean. Im a lefty fyi. And i used to have a savage mk2 and i sold it (regret it now) but ican work the actionrelatively quickly. Im thinking of picking oe up. Not the rimfire for shtf just forpractice purposes. If i went the bolt way what are the cons and pros. What caliber should i get? And what rigle? Im thinkin rugers american rifle orremington 700 series. If mossberg made the MVP left handed id grab one of those for this specific purpose. Thanks guys.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-29-2012, 08:36 PM   #2

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Choose your caliber next TST. You're right not to squak "polly wanna .22 LR for survival." Centerfire I'd say .223 unless you hunt big game, otherwise .308. There's really nothing much as adviseable in between though I wish there were. Yeah, all the whackos will come out of the woodwork now and recommend novelties like 7x30 Waters, 6.5 Swede, etc. Ignore them. I still think .22 Mag , with basically the same features and benefits of a .22 LR to some extent but twice as powerful, makes a decent emergency round and happen to be reliable in bolt and pump rifles...

Good luck.

Old 11-29-2012, 09:15 PM   #3

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis
Choose your caliber next TST. You're right not to squak "polly wanna .22 LR for survival." Centerfire I'd say .223 unless you hunt big game, otherwise .308. There's really nothing much as adviseable in between though I wish there were. Yeah, all the whackos will come out of the woodwork now and recommend novelties like 7x30 Waters, 6.5 Swede, etc. Ignore them. I still think .22 Mag , with basically the same features and benefits of a .22 LR to some extent but twice as powerful, makes a decent emergency round and happen to be reliable in bolt and pump rifles...

Good luck.
Yeah i remember u have talked about 22mag...think its an ok defensive round? Like maybe get one of those in replaceof a 22lr? Ammo is more expensive but still light enough to carry a surplus...

Old 11-29-2012, 11:13 PM   #4

Liked 747 Times on 522 Posts
Likes Given: 793

A novelty like 6.5x55, interesting statement. It's only been around since 1894. It was favored in olympic Biathlon till 1975 when the standard became .22lr. Served both the Swedish and Norwegian armies. Is effective on even large game such as Elephant, read up on Bell. It is not what I would want for elephant, or ever grizzly, but it is a great round. Now for SHTF, the rifle must be accurate enough, the .22mag is at up to 200 yards for minute of man, the downfall is most are mag fed and extra mags would be hard to find, easy to loose, only hold 5, some 7 rounds. I would grab an old Mauser in 6.5x55 or 8x57. No mag to loose, very devastating rounds. I'd personally grab my Wasr2 in 5.45x39 for protection. 16 mags loaded, 480 rounds. To survive a SHTF situation rate of fire can quickly change things in your favor. Violence of action.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

cottontop Likes This 
Old 11-29-2012, 11:38 PM   #5

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Well why im lookin for a bolt is because semi autos can malfunction at the worst time and not becauseof the shooter. Do you know what i mean? Yeah in a bolt and i can short stroke the action but with a semi if i dont keep it oiled or if theres a change in temp or what not it can jam,stovepipe, etc...

Old 11-30-2012, 12:15 AM   #6

Liked 519 Times on 312 Posts
Likes Given: 236

I agree that bolt actions are most dependable and require the least amount of maintenance. I have many, but this is one of my favorites due to it's caliber and my being partial to the mannlicher compactness. My .22 mag's a tack driver, but only good for small game and easily capable of 200+ yard shots.
Steyr Mannlicher ModM carbine 7x57

Anschutz Mod1518 .22mag

Old 11-30-2012, 12:44 AM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6605 Times on 3680 Posts
Likes Given: 6258

AR-15. All you'll need for SHTF. Reliable, accurate, parts available everywhere and cheap ammo. what else do ya need?

Old 11-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #8

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Theres so many damn calibers. Shotgun is my number one. Idk what next. Figure i can only carry two maybe three long guns. And stick with those.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:15 AM   #9

Liked 225 Times on 176 Posts
Likes Given: 228

For a bolt action .22 Mag I would recommend the Savage 93. http://savagearms.com/firearms/model/93GL I have a 93 F and can attest to it's accuracy. I can't shoot very well but it hits exactly where the cross hair is pointing

I'm gonna stop you right there, you just said an AR-15 is a high-powered rifle. It is obvious you don't know anything about guns and I shall ignore anything you say from this point on.

Old 11-30-2012, 01:54 AM   #10

Liked 15 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Oh boy....

SHTF - got to have a plan. Weapon wise, this plan will not be just ONE weapon or should I say type of weapon.

A .22RF rifle is a given.
Something with enough ump to take larger game (if any can be found). What type of weapon and what caliber, what a mess to work out.
Do you feel that personal protection will come into play? A new mess to work out.
I'm not a shotgun person, so I will not comment.

My view:
.22RF - A Ruger 10/22 or similar, I don't care.
An AR/M16/M4 type in .223/5.56, number must be determined by the group and perceived need.
A bolt action (major make) in .223/5.56.
A bolt action (major make) in 308/7.62.
A .45 ACP (could be .40 S&W, but all should be the same caliber) pistol for each person in the group.

Why .223/5.56 and 308/7.62 you say. Does the job, availability and that's what the government uses, think potential source. But you like the AK. What ya going to do after you have shot up all of your ammo? Simple if you live in the old USSR. Not so much if you live in America.

This is a very personnel matter to contemplate. Think about your needs and views.

Enjoy,

OSOK

Last edited by oldpapps; 11-30-2012 at 04:09 AM. Reason: spelling