Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Which rifle should I go with? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/rifle-should-i-go-103082/)

brianhurley707 01-21-2014 05:07 PM

Which rifle should I go with?

Thinking about getting a new deer rifle ready before next season. Wondering what you guys think between a few different rifles. Note that I am still young and have plenty of time to build up some nice rifles when I really have the money. The three I'm thinking of are a Ruger American in 30-06, browning xbolt or Remington 700 in 7mm Remington mag. The obvious choice for quality would be the rem or browning, but dropping nearly a grand on a new rifle doesn't sound that great. My current deer rifle is a 700 in 308 but it has a bull barrel making it a little to heavy to shoot standing while running brush. I'd match the rifle up with a leupold vx series, not sure exactly which one. Preferably a 4x12x40. What do you guys think?

phideaux 01-21-2014 05:18 PM

Sorry, I cant help ya...
Im a Savage guy.;)

Jim

TLuker 01-21-2014 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by brianhurley707 (Post 1488145)
Thinking about getting a new deer rifle ready before next season. Wondering what you guys think between a few different rifles. Note that I am still young and have plenty of time to build up some nice rifles when I really have the money. The three I'm thinking of are a Ruger American in 30-06, browning xbolt or Remington 700 in 7mm Remington mag. The obvious choice for quality would be the rem or browning, but dropping nearly a grand on a new rifle doesn't sound that great. My current deer rifle is a 700 in 308 but it has a bull barrel making it a little to heavy to shoot standing while running brush. I'd match the rifle up with a leupold vx series, not sure exactly which one. Preferably a 4x12x40. What do you guys think?

I have a Rem M700 .308 bull barrel set-up for long distance hunting and a Rem M700 BDL in 30-06 set-up for the woods with iron sights and see through scope rings. I take it anytime I have to do a lot of walking. My recommendation would be for you to go that route and stick with Remington that way everything is the same between rifles expect for the weight. All though the Brownings are nice, but if you do decide to go Browning look at the A-bolt II's before you get an x-bolt. Cycle the bolt on both a few times and then decide.

As for the price, it's never going to get any easier to pay that much for a rifle. But think of this way, if you get a good Remington or Browning now it will last you from now on and you will never need to fork over that sort of cash again. If you get a cheaper rifle you're still going to want that Remington or Browning later and you'll end up spending what that cheap rifles costs plus the extra later on. :)

brianhurley707 01-21-2014 05:38 PM

Haha I've never been a savage guy.

Tlurker that's exactly what I'm weighing.. Whether having a rifle that gets me by now, or possibly waiting til next year for a nice one haha. But I think that you're right, not to waste the money on something that kinda does the job. I was also thinking the same with my current 700, using that on stand or from the jeep when shooting fast and un-rested usually isn't the case. But I have heard great stuff about the American rifle.. Main reason I'm even considering a cheaper rifle since I usually don't do that.

brianhurley707 01-21-2014 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_blue79 (Post 1488166)
Remington, if it's the BDL or higher end rifle.

The American is what, $400? Which 700 is it?

But like phideaux, I'm a Savage guy myself. :D

I've had the opportunity to pick up the ruger for 300$, the 700 in 7 mag that I would get would be somewhere around 800$ at least after dros and tax.

brianhurley707 01-21-2014 06:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big_blue79 (Post 1488175)
Of the lower end rifle's I sold and handled while working at Walmart, the Ruger American was the best IMO, smoother action than Remington's 783, never had a 700ADL or SPS in to check between those, but every American, .30-06, .308, etc, was smooth as silk, and the bluing looked good! Only 700ADL I can compare it to is my dad's but that's a vintage 1974, so it's broke in.

I too sell guns for dicks sporting goods, so I've worked as many actions as I can showing guns all day, that why I'm putting the unproven ruger in with such proven quality rifles. Because it feels like quality! Have you fired one or know someone who has?

MOshooter 01-21-2014 06:04 PM

Congrats on the New American Ruger,i've heard a lot of positive reports on the rifle....And at 300.00 sounds like a good deal.

JonM 01-21-2014 06:08 PM

if your on a budget get a mosin 91/30
S&K scout mount http://www.brownells.com/optics-mounting/rings-mounts-amp-bases/rifle-bases/mosin-nagant-scout-mount-91-30-91-59-s-k--sku794000004-23474-29484.aspx

then what ever rings and pistol type long eye relief scope you want. save you a ton of money, great starting rifle, 30-06 power level using winchester whitebox softpoints for hunting.