rifle or shotgun for a first gun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > rifle or shotgun for a first gun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-02-2013, 02:02 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 220 Times on 145 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by eatmydust
+1 on the pump gun.

With today's rifled barrels, topped with decent optics and a good saboted slug, you can reach out beyond 150 yds. An 18" - 20" barrel makes it a good HD/SD gun and a 26" - 28" barrel makes for a good hunting scattergun!

Hard to beat that versatility!
This is why if I could only chose ONE firearm to own it would be one of my pump shotguns.
Old 12-02-2013, 02:21 PM   #12

Liked 243 Times on 192 Posts
Likes Given: 22

crasy Do you have a dollar amount your looking to spend?? Is it possible to buy 2 bargin long guns with in that dollar amount? Like a basic pump and basic rifle. Are a shotgun combo and a rifled slug barrel an change choke barrel. But if not shotgun season not pratical. If he a well ground shooter load him up and take him to a gun shop and tell him any thing over X dollars you have to come up with now get what firearm you want .

Old 12-02-2013, 02:51 PM   #13

Liked 10 Times on 8 Posts

I'd ask him, but if it's to be a surprise then I'd get a shotgun. Much more versatile and he could use it for anything. I got my Mossy 500 with a 28" barrel brand new two years ago at a dicks sporting goods for $260. With that he can hunt anything, blast clays, and buy a 18.5" barrel for home defense.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:14 PM   #14
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 1357 Times on 688 Posts
Likes Given: 1011

Pump 870 20ga with both a smoothbore and a rifled barrel with deer sights. The core-lokt sabot slugs are good for big game. Best of both worlds if price is an issue. The rifled barrels for the 870 are available on-line from Cabelas and probably elsewhere.

Stay smart, stay motivated, stay dangerous

Last edited by 7point62; 12-02-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1585 Times on 1082 Posts
Likes Given: 546

Mossberg sells combos that have a 24" rifled barrel and a 28" vent rib barrel with a set of accu chokes for the same price as an 870. You also can buy a Maverick 88 for under $200. Then find a used rifled barrel, mossberg 500 barrels fit a Maverick 88. Personally I prefer the wood stock on the Mossberg. Mavericks only come with a synthetic stock and a modified accu choke.

If you choose to buy a shotgun, regardless of the brand put it together to make sure the rib lines up with the receiver, wrack the slide a few times to make sure the gun doesn't bind up. If a salesman object to you assembling the gun the store let him keep the gun. It is your right as a consumer to make sure you are buying a gun in new condition, not a second with cosmetic damage or defects.

If you buy a rifle leave it in the store if the sights are cocked over to one side. The sights are bore sighted in the factory. Make sure the stock lines up with the receiver. It is up to you to make sure you are getting a quality product. You can not return a gun if you find defects after the sale. You have to send the gun back to the factory.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-02-2013 at 03:56 PM.

Old 12-02-2013, 03:47 PM   #16
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 507 Posts
Likes Given: 49

Best of both worlds buy him a savage Over/Under Rifle/shotgun combo its what I took my first deer and my first pheasants with like this one is the old model updated with a synth stock http://www.gunsamerica.com/911935034/Savage_24F_Over_Under_223_20Ga_O_.htm

or this is cool too
http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/60297

Last edited by seancslaughter; 12-02-2013 at 03:50 PM.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:18 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2200 Times on 1218 Posts
Likes Given: 280

I'm going to disagree with the consensus here. In the DESERT I would much rather have a rifle than a shotgun because of the longer shots that are much more likely. Pick a caliber that has light weight small game cartridges available as well as ammo that can take down the biggest game you commonly find in your area.

Nobody said anything.....about Glocks until you posted about your bacon dog who needs dentures.

What did somebody forget to engage their safety and shoot the dogs front teeth out? Or are we blaming that on the Glock shooters?

"Gaston, the Doggy dentist's best friend."

Old 12-02-2013, 04:23 PM   #18

Liked 706 Times on 551 Posts

choice? no way. be an example setter. you set the pace.
give him your gun.
he will take better care of it and respect it.
then...you go and buy yourself a new one.

i still use my dads tools to this day. hes been dead for 7 years now. every time i pick up a hammer of his, i thank him in my thoughts.
call me old school america, but its the way i was taught.

Retired Naval Aviation
Former Member U.S. Navy Shooting Team
Contact Man for the FTF Shotgun Shoot
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f138/4th-ftf-shotgun-shoot-hoot-vanzant-mo-oct-4-5-2014-a-105142/

Last edited by bobski; 12-02-2013 at 04:26 PM.
artbrownsr Likes This 
Old 12-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1585 Times on 1082 Posts
Likes Given: 546

I didn't notice that the OP is in the desert. Some areas of the desert are brushy. I killed an elk near the CA/NV border about 50 yards away. I had a great guide who put me in a good position once we spotted the elk. Friends said I was wasting my money on a guide. The guide had spotted the elk the day before I arrived. I would have ended up taking a 300 yard shot on my own.

You are going to have to get some experience in your area to find out what is best for your area. There isn't much game in the open areas of the desert where everyone goes to ride dirt bikes and dune buggies. Game is on the edges of the desert where the desert turns into forest. You might be able to hunt with sabots. A well made 12 ga sabot has about the same range and power as a 45/70 with a 300 gr flat nose bullet. I have tested winchester XP3 300 gr sabots. They perform just as well as advertised with a 24" rifled barrel. A friend tested the winchester dual bond sabots. He got great results from his tests. We selected winchester products because winchester had a rebate on their premium sabots last year. I have also tested Federal Fusion sabots. They are accurate but they don't have the range of the winchester products we tested.

You might have to give up the notion of getting by with one gun. You have to make compromises that might not be acceptable with only one gun. For $500 you can get a decent rifle and a shotgun. At 20 he is a grown man who can buy a scope and ammo.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 12-02-2013 at 04:45 PM.

Old 12-02-2013, 04:54 PM   #20
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 2147 Posts
Likes Given: 685

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobski
choice? no way. be an example setter. you set the pace. give him your gun. he will take better care of it and respect it. then...you go and buy yourself a new one. i still use my dads tools to this day. hes been dead for 7 years now. every time i pick up a hammer of his, i thank him in my thoughts. call me old school america, but its the way i was taught.
Yeah,..My dad left me a few power tools he was found of,..esp. His Miller Falls Power Drill and Recip. Saw...works a lot better then the Ryobi Battery Powered Drill we bought @ Home Depot.

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...