Rifle recoil

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rifle recoil

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-02-2011, 09:31 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rifle recoil

In the search for a new rifle as I noted yesterday (thanks for the replies). Getting to an active/busy range and asking other shooters to try rifles is not realistic.

Reading Chuck Hawk's recoil tables...is it correct to assume that the recoil of a properly held and well fitted .243 will feel like/have *approximately* the same recoil as a 2.5" .410 shell? And, that a .270 or .30-.30 could be comparable to a 20 gauge? I understand that different loads will pack different recoil.

Just trying to estimate what to expect.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-02-2011, 09:37 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5803 Times on 3030 Posts
Likes Given: 398

for what round and rifle??

barrel length weight of the gun round its chambered for and construction of the buttpad and whether its a semi-auto or bolt gun all affect percieved recoil.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-02-2011, 09:45 PM   #3

There are definitely variables. Am looking at a bolt or possibly lever action. Ideally a Browning. Out-of-box condition with no initial customizing. Target appropriate rounds.

Old 11-02-2011, 09:56 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5803 Times on 3030 Posts
Likes Given: 398

lever actions arent really target guns. they are put meat on the table and wack the badguy if needed type gun. they are fun to shoot.

308 is a great all round cartridge recoil isnt bad and there are a huge variety of both hunting and target loads. i would equate 308 in a typical sporter gun to be about the recoil of a 20gauge.

the shorter the barrel the more felt recoil your going to have.

the lighter/thinner the barrel the more felt recoil and the fewer shots you can fire before heat plays a role in accuracy. typical sporter/hunting style rifles 2-3 shots and you gotta wait a good while for it to cool down.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 11-02-2011, 10:31 PM   #5

Liked 733 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 760

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
lever actions arent really target guns. they are put meat on the table and wack the badguy if needed type gun. they are fun to shoot.

308 is a great all round cartridge recoil isnt bad and there are a huge variety of both hunting and target loads. i would equate 308 in a typical sporter gun to be about the recoil of a 20gauge.

the shorter the barrel the more felt recoil your going to have.

the lighter/thinner the barrel the more felt recoil and the fewer shots you can fire before heat plays a role in accuracy. typical sporter/hunting style rifles 2-3 shots and you gotta wait a good while for it to cool down.
Wise words. Since this is your 1st centerfire be very careful of heavy recoiling rifles. If you develop a flinch, it is hard if not impossible to be accurate.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:39 PM   #6

Thanks for the advice. Definitely don't need another "badguy" gun. But something about the lever action is appealing...perhaps wanting something other than my bolt rimfires...or its just "something" about the action. I absolutely want to avoid the flinch. Had that issue with early handgun shooting. Started with too much firepower.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:51 PM   #7

Liked 733 Times on 508 Posts
Likes Given: 760

If you want something fun and accurate at 100 yards, look at a Model 1892 lever rifle. I have one in .44-40 that has the felt recoil of a .22. Mine has a 24" octagonal barrel. Outstanding rifle. Companies like EMF and Rossi make them and they are affordable.
HARTFORD 1892 SPORTING RIFLES - EMF Company

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 11-02-2011, 11:52 PM   #8

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 32

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruby476 View Post
~snip~ But something about the lever action is appealing...~snip~
Hi Ruby,

I'm not recoil sensitive, but I have had two lever guns that did stomped my shoulder.....a Winchester 94 in 30-30 and a Marlin in 44 Mag. I really like both those guns, but they made me pay for the love! On, the other hand my 308, a 300 Win Mag, 7mm Mag and others I can shoot all day long. I think it is the fit......drop of the butt and comb on the lever guns. If you think you are recoil sensitive, it is hard to beat a properly fitted 243. But, there are so many good choices, you have a challenge to get the right gun the first time, without finding an opportunity to try out some on the range or in the field. Good Luck with your quest....

Old 11-03-2011, 08:03 AM   #9
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21919 Times on 12384 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

eaglesix, lots of that felt recoil on lever action rifles comes from the butt plate. as a lot of them have hard plastic or metal butt plates instead of recoil pads. i think it's part of the love we pay for to have a more nostalgic rifle without a modern recoil pad! i do myself like vintage rifles that look like they are vintage, no scopes or modern accessories on them.

Old 11-03-2011, 01:57 PM   #10
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2872 Times on 1496 Posts
Likes Given: 257

Recoil force is calculable. Felt recoil is subjective. Comparing one to another is rather futile. Recoil is a product of bullet weight and velocity, powder charge weight, weight of the firearm. The felt recoil is also related to fit, shape and drop of the stock, stance, cheek weld, size, weight and tolerance of the shooter. I feel my .45-70 Guide Gun shooting a 340 gr bullet 2100 fps is a fun, rolling recoil akin to a 12 ga 1 oz slug at 1500 fps. My stepson 6'01 215# won't even consider shooting it. He likes my Saiga 12 ga with buckshot even though the narrow butt plate makes it brutal on the shoulder.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball