Rifle ranges not allowing FMJ's or shotguns?!? :-(
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rifle ranges not allowing FMJ's or shotguns?!? :-(

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-21-2014, 05:07 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 20 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 48

Default Rifle ranges not allowing FMJ's or shotguns?!? :-(

As far as snooty/stuck up ranges go, bass pro shop takes the cake in south Florida. I'm used to going elsewhere and will continue! No FMJ's and no shotguns of any type are allowed, that basically killed my entire day after driving there SKS and Mossberg in hand, with about 200rds of wolf FMJ. I wish I had done the research ahead of time and not wasted the trip. So I caved and bought some of their over priced Tula soft points (that my SKS hates) and shot a few rounds in what had to be the hottest, least ventilated range I've ever been to. They did give me a military discount however. I still can't fathom why they would not allow FMJ's..... Crappy backstop? Afraid of an accidental discharge sailing through the store? In any case it was utterly annoying. The only redeeming quality is that they are open on Sundays.

The government cannot give to one person what it does not first take from another.

Last edited by Joeyg69; 07-21-2014 at 05:31 AM. Reason: Because iPhone spell correct likes to make me sound retarded
hawkguy Likes This 

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-21-2014, 05:15 AM   #2
McCool@email.com
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 7923 Times on 4289 Posts
Likes Given: 16803

No FMJ?
That might be to force purchases.

No offense and none taken

No offense and none taken (̿▀̿ ̿Ĺ̯̿̿▀̿ ̿)̄

hawkguy Likes This 
Old 07-21-2014, 05:26 AM   #3

Probably true.

The government cannot give to one person what it does not first take from another.

Last edited by Joeyg69; 07-21-2014 at 05:33 AM.

Old 07-21-2014, 05:41 AM   #4

Liked 399 Times on 247 Posts
Likes Given: 6

hell at least they'll let you bring a rifle, both the indoor ranges here in town are rimfire & pistol caliber only

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Old 07-21-2014, 05:57 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by donthav1 View Post
hell at least they'll let you bring a rifle, both the indoor ranges here in town are rimfire & pistol caliber only
Ouch, I won't be moving to your neck of the woods anytime soon.

Old 07-21-2014, 06:21 AM   #6
Lifetime Supporting Member
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 8953 Times on 5202 Posts
Likes Given: 11768

Easy there little fella!

Shoot me an email at vikingdad995@gmail.com

Quote:
"Among the many misdeeds of British rule in India, history will look upon the Act depriving a whole nation of arms as the blackest."
- Mohandas Gandhi, an Autobiography, page 446.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 07-21-2014, 10:33 AM   #7
disappointed & disgusted, But DETERMINED...
FTF_LIFETIMESUPPORTER.png

Liked 3373 Times on 2283 Posts
Likes Given: 710

We Bypass that by going out into the desert, where we have a nice little Space set up with 12-15ft. High mounds aside a 35 yd clearing,..more then enough for short range, and the next hill after ours is about 550 Yds. away..,

Sent from my iPhone using CC Firearms Talk

"The difference between a successful person and others is not a lack of strength, not a lack of knowledge, but rather in a lack of will." Vince Lombardi

"No One, and I MEAN NO ONE Craps on me and Gets away with it!!! Those days are gone...

Old 07-21-2014, 12:35 PM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9738 Times on 4188 Posts
Likes Given: 1532

With an indoor range, much of what you can shoot there will depend on the engineering of the backstop.

Two local indoor ranges- one has a backstop that is a slanted sheet of steel that makes bullets ricochet into a tank of sand. Handgun and .22 rimfire rifles only. FMJ will put scallops in the backstop that will cause following bullets to go in unplanned directions.

The other range uses a "snail" bullet trap. Bullets are guided into a large diameter steel tube the runs the width of the range. Bullets hit the inside wall of the pipe at a shallow angle, and spin around until they run out of energy. THAT range permits up thru .300 Win Mag.

The range where I shoot? The backstop is about 200 cubic yards of dirt. Works for anything up to about 105mm cannon.

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

John_Deer Likes This 
Old 07-21-2014, 02:22 PM   #9

Liked 411 Times on 268 Posts
Likes Given: 4

You said SKS. Did you have steel core? The indoor range I use prohibits steel core ammo. Never heard if any place forbidding FMJ.
Old 07-21-2014, 02:41 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3162 Times on 1589 Posts
Likes Given: 400

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn View Post
You said SKS. Did you have steel core? The indoor range I use prohibits steel core ammo. Never heard if any place forbidding FMJ.
Yeah, this ^^^.
Our local range takes a magnet to all ammo brought in. All 7.62x39 gets a good long look. Steel core 7.62x39 ammo did $50K damage to the range backstop a few years back.
They don't allow shotguns either. Multiple pellets possibly bouncing all over the place? What could go wrong?
NRA Life Member

Liberals are constantly telling us about the poor and oppressed in this country. With that in mind, why do they feel the need to keep importing poor people from other countries?
Axxe55 Likes This