Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rifle opinions

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-02-2012, 08:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default Rifle opinions

I'm thinking about buying a new rifle for target shooting and coyote hunting. I was wanting something that would be accurate at 600 yards or more. I was thinking a .308. I was wandering what everyone would suggest for the rifle, optic, and caliber. Would also be nice to see everyone's setups and what kind of success they had with theirs.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-02-2012, 10:52 PM   #2

Liked 310 Times on 217 Posts
Likes Given: 536

A .308 in a good bolt action w/ a fairly heavy barrel and the highest quality scope you can afford will work for you. There are many other cartridges that will work. Just take your pick, but stay away from the likes of the .30-30 and lever guns for the kind of shooting you want to do.
cottontop

Old 10-02-2012, 10:57 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yea that's what I was thinking. I'm just not sure what brand/model I should go with.

Old 10-02-2012, 11:02 PM   #4
Supporting Member
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1818 Times on 932 Posts
Likes Given: 976

Countrylivin,

If you want a good precision rifle for the money I think of two off hand that are excellent for what you described.
Over the years at the LE Sniper Schools the following two commerical built rifles stood out!
You need to check them out!

1. The Savage 110 Tactical Rifle in 308 Cal. (Great Rifle for the Money) Very Accurate and Reliable!
2. The Remington 700 PSS Rifle (Which is one of the prefered production rifle of Law Enforcement SWAT Sniper Teams in 308 Cal.
Both are heavy contour barrels and of good quality as well as durability.

The Constitution is not an instrument for the Government to restrain the people. It is an instrument for the people to restrain the Government!
*Patrick Henry

Today, we need a nation of Minutemen, citizens who are not only prepared to take arms, but citizens who regard the preservation of freedom as the basic purpose of their daily life and who are willing to consciously work and sacrifice for that freedom."

-- John F. Kennedy

Old 10-02-2012, 11:24 PM   #5

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Yea I like the Remington 700 pss I've herd a lot of good things about it. What would your ideal optic choice be. I'm not a expert on those. I just know I want something long range, mill dots of some kind, illuminated reticle, and just a good clear image with good eye relief. Not sure about how to pick a specific one out.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:08 AM   #6
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1002 Times on 572 Posts
Likes Given: 459

While a 308 is a little overkill for yotes,it'll damn sure do the job.I prefer to use a 223 or 25/06 for yote killing.They'll both hit targets at 600 easily with practice,and the right bullet for the 223.

Some other suggested calibers would be the 243-260 Remington-6.5 Creedmoor-and 7mm-08.All of these are based off a 308 cartridge,and all will shoot 600 yards better than a 308.Factory ammo is also readily available for all of them,if you don't reload your own.

You might also think about getting an AR-15 in 223 or an AR-10 in any of the other calibers listed above.They come in real handy for multiple yotes or quick follow up shots if you happen to miss on your first shot.

Here's a few pics of my yote rifles-

Savage 12FLV 223 with a Boyd's LH thumbhole stock that I modified to fit the heavy barrel/1-9 twist,with a 6-24x50 Weaver Classic Extreme scope in Burris Signature Zee rings on a Ken Ferrell base.Rifle also has a SSS competition trigger installed in it-set at 2 lbs.

Rock River Arms 20" Varminter 223 it also has a 6-24x50 Weaver Classic Extreme scope on it.The photo is old and shows a different scope.

Savage 110FLCP 25/06 in a Choate tactical stock with a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 LRMD scope in Burris Signature Zee rings and a Ken Ferrell base.Along with it's 308 twin a 10FCP with a Sightron SIII 6-24x50 MOA-2 scope,same rings and base.

I just put a 7mm-08 together,and have a 6.5 Creedmoor barrel to build another rifle,or just swap out the barrels with one of my current rifles.
That's one of the reasons that I like Savage rifles,they're like adult lego kits,if you want something different,just take it apart and change it into something else in a matter of minutes.
Remington,Howa,Tikka,and CZ also make some great varmint style rifles.

When it comes to optics,Buy the best that you can afford.It's always best to get what you want the first time,even if it takes a little longer to save for it.

Old 10-03-2012, 03:14 AM   #7
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1908 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 699

Springfield M1A maybe?

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA

Old 10-03-2012, 03:29 AM   #8

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 18

For coyote nothin smaller than a 338 lapua is gonna cut it!
I would play it safe by going 50bmg.
Have you ever seen those demons up close!!!
My dad hit one with a truck and the thing got up and started attacking th truck! You need a 50bmg or those thing will eat your face.
I guess if you ANSOLUTLY HAD TO any of the suggestions above would work.
Thank you for letting me waste your time with humor

Old 10-03-2012, 03:40 AM   #9
FAA licensed bugsmasher
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1908 Times on 1043 Posts
Likes Given: 699

Quote:
Originally Posted by Babyfacenelson View Post
For coyote nothin smaller than a 338 lapua is gonna cut it!
I would play it safe by going 50bmg.
Have you ever seen those demons up close!!!
My dad hit one with a truck and the thing got up and started attacking th truck! You need a 50bmg or those thing will eat your face.
I guess if you ANSOLUTLY HAD TO any of the suggestions above would work.
Thank you for letting me waste your time with humor
Just to make sure...

This is a coyote

This is a rhinoceros...

Scott

Quote:
If you're not representing Jesus in a way that makes people want to hang out with you, you're doing it wrong.
Quote:
Those who refuse to participate in politics shall be governed by their inferiors. -Plato
Regent Holdings What you need to know about silver, gold, and the economy.

Join the NRA
winds-of-change Likes This 
Old 10-03-2012, 03:41 AM   #10

Liked 45 Times on 34 Posts
Likes Given: 18

I always get those confused