Rifle noob here

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rifle noob here

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-27-2012, 10:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Rifle noob here

Hey guys I just bought a century arms AK47. I know nothing about firearms outside of call of duty lol. From what I've read on google searches, they're ok but certainly not the best. I'm not really an avid gun enthusiast, more of a car guy. For now anyway haha. I basically bought it for fear of a ban due to recent events. I plan on running it this weekend. So far I think I need some new mags, anything after 20 rounds it doesn't want to feed. Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-27-2012, 11:57 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5949 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 5517

Take your mags apart and clean them thoroughly and lube with powdered graphite, EEzox or some other dry lubricant and try them again.

New mags are hard to find and super expensive right now. Fix the ones you have if possible.

Winston Churchill
CA357 Likes This 
Old 12-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Welcome here from Oregon.

I know very little about the AK platform, but we have some experts here who can help you out. Locutus has already given you some good advice.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams
john300k Likes This 
Old 12-28-2012, 12:24 AM   #4

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus
Take your mags apart and clean them thoroughly and lube with powdered graphite, EEzox or some other dry lubricant and try them again.

New mags are hard to find and super expensive right now. Fix the ones you have if possible.
10 4 will do. Thanks man

Old 12-28-2012, 12:53 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5801 Times on 3029 Posts
Likes Given: 397

personally i never use graphite in firearms. i dont even like it in the house. when graphite hits aluminum, or aloominium if your your british, it can easily eat the crap out of it. graphite is easy to migrate from one gun to another. not something i want anywhere near guns that could have aluminium. lots of modern guns even ak may use aluminum for some parts as manufacture shortcuts.

clean your mags they shouldnt need anything but a very very light oil on the inside.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-28-2012, 01:24 AM   #6

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM
personally i never use graphite in firearms. i dont even like it in the house. when graphite hits aluminum, or aloominium if your your british, it can easily eat the crap out of it. graphite is easy to migrate from one gun to another. not something i want anywhere near guns that could have aluminium. lots of modern guns even ak may use aluminum for some parts as manufacture shortcuts.

clean your mags they shouldnt need anything but a very very light oil on the inside.
Cool. It looks like this one is all stamped steel. I just cleaned the rifle with the CLP spray the guy sold me. Wiped down the outside and sprayed a liberal amount inside. Gonna take apart the mags and clean em. Looks fairly straight forward.

Old 12-28-2012, 08:41 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5949 Times on 3366 Posts
Likes Given: 5517

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

And I never allow oil near my magazines!

Winston Churchill