Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Rifle noob here (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/rifle-noob-here-79571/)

muscledom 12-27-2012 11:43 PM

Rifle noob here

Hey guys I just bought a century arms AK47. I know nothing about firearms outside of call of duty lol. From what I've read on google searches, they're ok but certainly not the best. I'm not really an avid gun enthusiast, more of a car guy. For now anyway haha. I basically bought it for fear of a ban due to recent events. I plan on running it this weekend. So far I think I need some new mags, anything after 20 rounds it doesn't want to feed. Any info/advice would be greatly appreciated!

locutus 12-28-2012 12:57 AM

Take your mags apart and clean them thoroughly and lube with powdered graphite, EEzox or some other dry lubricant and try them again.

New mags are hard to find and super expensive right now. Fix the ones you have if possible.

CA357 12-28-2012 12:59 AM

Welcome here from Oregon.

I know very little about the AK platform, but we have some experts here who can help you out. Locutus has already given you some good advice.

muscledom 12-28-2012 01:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by locutus
Take your mags apart and clean them thoroughly and lube with powdered graphite, EEzox or some other dry lubricant and try them again.

New mags are hard to find and super expensive right now. Fix the ones you have if possible.

10 4 will do. Thanks man

JonM 12-28-2012 01:53 AM

personally i never use graphite in firearms. i dont even like it in the house. when graphite hits aluminum, or aloominium if your your british, it can easily eat the crap out of it. graphite is easy to migrate from one gun to another. not something i want anywhere near guns that could have aluminium. lots of modern guns even ak may use aluminum for some parts as manufacture shortcuts.

clean your mags they shouldnt need anything but a very very light oil on the inside.

muscledom 12-28-2012 02:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM
personally i never use graphite in firearms. i dont even like it in the house. when graphite hits aluminum, or aloominium if your your british, it can easily eat the crap out of it. graphite is easy to migrate from one gun to another. not something i want anywhere near guns that could have aluminium. lots of modern guns even ak may use aluminum for some parts as manufacture shortcuts.

clean your mags they shouldnt need anything but a very very light oil on the inside.

Cool. It looks like this one is all stamped steel. I just cleaned the rifle with the CLP spray the guy sold me. Wiped down the outside and sprayed a liberal amount inside. Gonna take apart the mags and clean em. Looks fairly straight forward.

locutus 12-28-2012 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JonM (Post 1068741)

And I never allow oil near my magazines!