Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > rifle newb

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-23-2011, 09:46 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default rifle newb

In the last year ive started to take interest in rifles. My experience has always been in handguns. In the beginning of the year, I bought a Sig Sauer 522 semi auto .22lr. Ive had my fun with it but now im looking for a bigger caliber. With that being said... id figured I could turn to the rest of you for some input.

I want a bigger caliber but still want to fire "affordable" ammo until I find something im comfortable with. What is a decent rifle and caliber on the "cheaper" side for me to tinker with?

Si vis pacem, Para Bellum.
"If you want peace, Prepare for war"

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-23-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8625 Times on 3736 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

Well, a couple or three options for rifles-

All 3 began life as military rifles- The SKS, the Moisin-Nagants, and Mausers. All 3 are reasonably priced (stick with a Yugo Mauser for $$$) and ammo for all three can be had for reasonable $$$$.

However, the price of all things are headed up. When I first bought a Swiss K-31, I paid less than $100 for it, and ammo was about $3/20 rds. HAH!

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 10-23-2011, 01:07 PM   #3

Liked 2178 Times on 1469 Posts
Likes Given: 1191

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
Well, a couple or three options for rifles-

All 3 began life as military rifles- The SKS, the Moisin-Nagants, and Mausers. All 3 are reasonably priced (stick with a Yugo Mauser for $$$) and ammo for all three can be had for reasonable $$$$.

However, the price of all things are headed up. When I first bought a Swiss K-31, I paid less than $100 for it, and ammo was about $3/20 rds. HAH!
Seems like last week when you cud get 223 for under $5 a box

Texan By Birth & Choice
USMC/VIET NAM VET

Old 10-23-2011, 01:17 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

One thing I think should be mentioned is that the Mauser's ammunition is drying up. Either of the rifles c3 mentioned are fine rifles and I strongly recommend any one of them.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 10-23-2011, 04:01 PM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8625 Times on 3736 Posts
Likes Given: 1324

It is ALL going to get scarce at some point. Right now, there is still some fairly cheap ammo out there. Ammunitionstore.com - 8mm 198gr FMJ Yugoslavian Ball for sale. Cheap, low, bulk, wholesale prices!

<--- Your Moderators at our weekly Troll Hunt

Old 10-23-2011, 04:08 PM   #6

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Huh, now that I know there's some 8mm on the market still I think I might just pick up a Mauser at the next gun show. Assuming I can find one.

"It's a gun you loaded on Sunday, and shot all week."
-Confederate Soldier

"If God didn't create man equal then Sam Colt had made them equal."
-Unknown

"Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything."
-Wyatt Earp

Old 10-23-2011, 04:11 PM   #7

Liked 1419 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Are you wanting to stick with a semi-auto?

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 10-23-2011, 05:16 PM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by canebrake
Are you wanting to stick with a semi-auto?
Not necessarily. Although I am more partial to them. Like i said, im still new to the rifle world. My experience is mainly with my Sig and few rounds with a shot gun. I dont think I want to go with a shot gun, unless I can find a small .410 for the right money. I have seen the Nagant and Mauser at quite a few shows being sold as surplus but I had my doubts because I didnt know much about them.

The Sks has caught my eye a few times. but ive seen that they come by different origins and manufacturers. Yet again.. another reason I strayed away. I have know idea which would different or the better purchase.

Old 10-23-2011, 05:22 PM   #9

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanNinja View Post
Not necessarily. Although I am more partial to them. Like i said, im still new to the rifle world. My experience is mainly with my Sig and few rounds with a shot gun. I dont think I want to go with a shot gun, unless I can find a small .410 for the right money. I have seen the Nagant and Mauser at quite a few shows being sold as surplus but I had my doubts because I didnt know much about them.

The Sks has caught my eye a few times. but ive seen that they come by different origins and manufacturers. Yet again.. another reason I strayed away. I have know idea which would different or the better purchase.
One thing to consider is where you will do most of your shooting. Is your range rated for a high impact round like the Mosin's 7.62mm or the Mauser's 8mm? Not familiar with all the ranges in the Philly area but I suspect many are 25yd indoor, not ideal for steel core Mil Surp ammo.

That being said, a Mosin is a lot of fun, cheap and simple.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 10-23-2011, 05:46 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle

One thing to consider is where you will do most of your shooting. Is your range rated for a high impact round like the Mosin's 7.62mm or the Mauser's 8mm? Not familiar with all the ranges in the Philly area but I suspect many are 25yd indoor, not ideal for steel core Mil Surp ammo.

That being said, a Mosin is a lot of fun, cheap and simple.
The ranges I go to mostly are outside the Philly limits. The only sign ive seen inside for restrictions said "No .50". They do rent AKs there.. so I will assume 7.62 is allowed.

Newest Threads