Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   rifle newb (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/rifle-newb-50391/)

UrbanNinja 10-23-2011 09:46 AM

rifle newb

In the last year ive started to take interest in rifles. My experience has always been in handguns. In the beginning of the year, I bought a Sig Sauer 522 semi auto .22lr. Ive had my fun with it but now im looking for a bigger caliber. With that being said... id figured I could turn to the rest of you for some input.

I want a bigger caliber but still want to fire "affordable" ammo until I find something im comfortable with. What is a decent rifle and caliber on the "cheaper" side for me to tinker with?

c3shooter 10-23-2011 11:55 AM

Well, a couple or three options for rifles-

All 3 began life as military rifles- The SKS, the Moisin-Nagants, and Mausers. All 3 are reasonably priced (stick with a Yugo Mauser for $$$) and ammo for all three can be had for reasonable $$$$.

However, the price of all things are headed up. When I first bought a Swiss K-31, I paid less than $100 for it, and ammo was about $3/20 rds. HAH!

HOSSFLY 10-23-2011 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by c3shooter (Post 608237)
Well, a couple or three options for rifles-

All 3 began life as military rifles- The SKS, the Moisin-Nagants, and Mausers. All 3 are reasonably priced (stick with a Yugo Mauser for $$$) and ammo for all three can be had for reasonable $$$$.

However, the price of all things are headed up. When I first bought a Swiss K-31, I paid less than $100 for it, and ammo was about $3/20 rds. HAH!

Seems like last week when you cud get 223 for under $5 a box :(

Firearms4ever 10-23-2011 01:17 PM

One thing I think should be mentioned is that the Mauser's ammunition is drying up. Either of the rifles c3 mentioned are fine rifles and I strongly recommend any one of them.

c3shooter 10-23-2011 04:01 PM

It is ALL going to get scarce at some point. Right now, there is still some fairly cheap ammo out there. Ammunitionstore.com - 8mm 198gr FMJ Yugoslavian Ball for sale. Cheap, low, bulk, wholesale prices!

Firearms4ever 10-23-2011 04:08 PM

Huh, now that I know there's some 8mm on the market still I think I might just pick up a Mauser at the next gun show. Assuming I can find one.

canebrake 10-23-2011 04:11 PM

Are you wanting to stick with a semi-auto?

UrbanNinja 10-23-2011 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by canebrake
Are you wanting to stick with a semi-auto?

Not necessarily. Although I am more partial to them. Like i said, im still new to the rifle world. My experience is mainly with my Sig and few rounds with a shot gun. I dont think I want to go with a shot gun, unless I can find a small .410 for the right money. I have seen the Nagant and Mauser at quite a few shows being sold as surplus but I had my doubts because I didnt know much about them.

The Sks has caught my eye a few times. but ive seen that they come by different origins and manufacturers. Yet again.. another reason I strayed away. I have know idea which would different or the better purchase.

Jpyle 10-23-2011 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UrbanNinja (Post 608430)
Not necessarily. Although I am more partial to them. Like i said, im still new to the rifle world. My experience is mainly with my Sig and few rounds with a shot gun. I dont think I want to go with a shot gun, unless I can find a small .410 for the right money. I have seen the Nagant and Mauser at quite a few shows being sold as surplus but I had my doubts because I didnt know much about them.

The Sks has caught my eye a few times. but ive seen that they come by different origins and manufacturers. Yet again.. another reason I strayed away. I have know idea which would different or the better purchase.

One thing to consider is where you will do most of your shooting. Is your range rated for a high impact round like the Mosin's 7.62mm or the Mauser's 8mm? Not familiar with all the ranges in the Philly area but I suspect many are 25yd indoor, not ideal for steel core Mil Surp ammo.

That being said, a Mosin is a lot of fun, cheap and simple.

UrbanNinja 10-23-2011 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jpyle

One thing to consider is where you will do most of your shooting. Is your range rated for a high impact round like the Mosin's 7.62mm or the Mauser's 8mm? Not familiar with all the ranges in the Philly area but I suspect many are 25yd indoor, not ideal for steel core Mil Surp ammo.

That being said, a Mosin is a lot of fun, cheap and simple.

The ranges I go to mostly are outside the Philly limits. The only sign ive seen inside for restrictions said "No .50". They do rent AKs there.. so I will assume 7.62 is allowed.