Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Rifle for my girl (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/rifle-my-girl-28637/)

HawkI 06-23-2010 06:33 AM

Rifle for my girl

Hi fellas, another question here... I want to get an affordable plinking rifle for my girlfriend so that she can shoot with me (by affordable I mean no more than $250 for rifle alone). She says she wants something that won't throw her for a loop (she has back and shoulder pain fairly often), so a small to medium sized cartridge is ideal. She doesn't want anything high-powered like .30-06 or .308, but if I know her she isn't going to want something wimpy either. That rules out .22LR in my opinion (no offense to fans of .22LR). I figured that .223 Remington would be a good choice, maybe .17HMR? The rifle would have to come with iron sights, as my budget does not allow glass. I'm pretty sure that the action wouldn't really be an issue.

BTW she is 5'5", can't tell you her weight she'd kill me :D Not fat by any means but not a twig either... strong woman. So, which cartridge and corresponding rifle would you recommend?

opaww 06-23-2010 08:32 AM

I don't know of much in the $250 range chambered in .223, except maybe the H&R single shot which is running around that price +/- a little. Though you might look at an SKS they are running some place around $250 +/- a little and the 7.62x39 is not a whimpy round. Also the ammo is cheaper then a lot of stuff out there.

DrumJunkie 06-23-2010 08:42 AM

A 17HMR is just a 22 mag with a necked down case. It's a pretty good round. I have one. But if a 22 lr is too wimpy then it will be too. And the ammo cost really is not worth it unless you use it to take varmints. I have one here that I have not put 100 rounds through. I can get near the range from my 22lr and the ammo is dirt cheap. You be better off with a 223 or a 7.62x39.

cpttango30 06-23-2010 10:56 AM

22lr. Would be what I got her.

:eek:WHAT yes:eek:. If she is new to shooting then see needs to start out with a rifle that she can spend more time with and keep doing the basics of Basic Rifle Marksmanship (BRM) over and over again. The 22lr is not a week cartridge it can and has kill more deer and HUMANS that just about any other cartridge out there because people think it is week and a toy.

I can shoot anything in a rifle recoil doesn't bother me. But I have more fun shooting rimfires that anything else.

Once you and her get past the "I have to shoot something big" phase you will learn this too. Shooter fatigue is hard to teach against because both of you may not know what it looks like.

Teaching BRM is more important than what caliber she uses.

Even the 223 (Of which I have 2) can have too much recoil for some shooters. Your best bet would be to get her a nice Savage or even better CZ Rimfire and teach and practice with her till she is ready to move up. If you don't want to keep the rimfire (Not sure why you wouldn't) you could trade it in on a bigger rife in a bigger caliber.

hunter Joe 06-23-2010 11:18 AM

It's a real shame, but this time I have to agree with Tango.

Also, if you can't afford anymore than a couple hundreds bucks for a rifle, you ain't going to be able to afford the ammunition for a larger caliber.

IMHO. JOE

robocop10mm 06-23-2010 12:40 PM

I agree a good 22 auto loader is probably the ticket. Ruger 10-22, Remington 597 (?), Marlin 60. I would certaily not consider the .22 LR "wimpy". It will kill. She will have fun and build skills. If your economic situation improves in the next year or so she can graduate to a .223, but I bet she will always like the 22 best.

Jo da Plumbr 06-23-2010 12:55 PM

I took my girlfriend to the rifle range for the first time last weekend. She really enjoyed the Ruger 1022, a semi auto 22lr. I let her try the bolt action 22lr also but she liked the semi. When I let her try the AR in .223 she liked that a lot as well, but then complained about a sore shoulder and neck that night and the next day. And keep in mind the AR has a very good recoil system. A bolt action will put more kick in to the shoulder. Next time we go to the range I'm sure she'll be sticking to just the 1022.

And they come in pink.

Ruger 10 + 1 22 LR w/Pink Laminated Stock/Stainless Barrel for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $269.00

spyderfan 06-23-2010 08:04 PM

I say go with the 1022.

HawkI 06-23-2010 09:02 PM

Ruger 10/22... Good to know.

boatme98 06-24-2010 12:58 AM

How about a lever action Henry?