rifle issues
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > rifle issues

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2011, 03:34 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default rifle issues

I found a remington 700 30.06 with a scope for 250 bucks at a gunshow. I may be a terrable shot I may lack the skill to shoot well. But my groupings are about 4 inches at 100 yards, this is terrable even for a beginner to my understanding. I don't get the practiice I would like and after ten rounds I am not even on the paper any more, could there be something wrong with the rifle or is it more likely the shooter, I am a beginner.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2011, 03:39 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1730 Times on 899 Posts
Likes Given: 3663

Probably a scope problem.

Old 05-13-2011, 03:40 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Four inches at 100 yards is pretty decent shooting for a person who doesn't shoot regularly. Don't beat yourself up or get frustrated. It just takes practice. Four inches at 100 yards will put venison on the table.

BTW, after a number of shots, the barrel heats up and accuracy can be degraded. It could also be that you are flinching in anticipation of the recoil.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-13-2011, 03:43 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

We have a New Member Introduction forum. Head over there and introduce yourself to the folks when you get a chance. There's some good people here.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 05-13-2011, 04:15 AM   #5

I never thought about the scope, I used a bsa bore sighter and followed the instructions. I have practiced trigger pull and dry fire plenty. When I first got the rifle I gave myself a black eye peeping to deep into the scope and had to get a limbsaver to manage on my local ranges bench rest. I am a big guy and I have to crouch way down to be able to shoot saftly at thair range and it beat up my coller bone infact bruised it so that is why I bought the limb saver. I am a shotgun guy and I had to learn that shooting a rifle is extreemly diffefent it may be that my shotgun habits are interfearing.

But 4 inches at 100 yards is decent for a beginner? What would make my pattern wonder as I shoot?

Old 05-13-2011, 04:26 AM   #6

could be wondering from your barrel heating up. also, if youre having to crunch up to shoot, youre not going to be as stable or accurate as you would if you were able to get comfortable. also, make sure your breathing is in check. remember the fundamentals: steady position, regulate breathing, proper sight picture, and trigger squeeze. try to send it downrange the same way every time. what glass do you have on it? might look at that too.

Old 05-13-2011, 04:46 AM   #7

Okay now I am going to reveal how little I know. What do you mean by glass

Old 05-13-2011, 04:53 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Glass = Scope

Old 05-13-2011, 05:08 AM   #9

It is a bsa that was mounted on the rifle so poorly when I bought it I had to start over with mountings and rings. The muzzel end of the scope is about 1.75 inch diamiter so the rings when I bought the rifle were so short the muzzel end of the scope was touching the barrel I think the guy that sold the rifle just slapped a scope on it because there were still iron sights on it

Old 05-13-2011, 05:31 AM   #10

If the previous owner screwed up the mounting, theres a fairly good chance he messed up the scope. when you mount a scope put the rings in the middle of the main tubes if at all possible. if you put them too close to the turrets(adjustment knobs) or the bells(where the scope tapers towards the lenses) you stand the chance of messing up the internals, namely the reticle and inner glass. try shooting a little closer, on a rock solid rest and see if it still jumps around on you. also, does your point of impact change session to session?