Rifle Insight & Recommendations - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rifle Insight & Recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2014, 11:18 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 728 Times on 505 Posts
Likes Given: 758

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
the 243 is very capable round by all means and of the smaller calibers, very versatile hunting round for many different types of game or varmints. you did not make a bad choice in choosing to go with a 243 at all IMO.
.243 has its' place. The problem when selecting calibers is there are so many choices. I had a DCM in 5.56, but changed to a CZ527 in 5.56 that has a 1:9 twist, so I gained as I never really used the DCM for high powered shoots. Next I have a few 6.5x55, that will shoot from 87gr to 160gr. 100 to 140 shoot best though.
I load from 120 to 168gr for my .308, 100 to 160 (use to be 175) in 7mm Rem mag.
I have actually sold quite a few rifles for the simple reason they never were used.

If you find a caliber, or calibers and rifle combinations that work for what you want to do, you have done well.
Before the net, There was always more time spent at the range watching competitions, talking with older shooters, spending time looking for that perfect fit, it was actually better for the shooter in many ways. I respect Axxe on this forum, he is pretty level headed and has VG knowledge. But, what works for him, may not work for me or you either. That does not make him wrong, just may be a difference in styles, uses, etc. This goes for optics also. Everything you read needs to be taken w/ that in mind. Everyone will have an opinion. Rifle brand, style, caliber is very personal. What I listed above are my preferences, but others may look at them and question them, thats ok. Many people will dog someones choice. Those days are long past for me. We all have a common thread, that's the great part about our sport. Best of luck on your choices!

Axxe, I do love you brother!

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Last edited by jpattersonnh; 03-22-2014 at 11:20 PM. Reason: Axxe
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-23-2014, 04:15 AM   #22
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 21723 Times on 12313 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
.243 has its' place. The problem when selecting calibers is there are so many choices. I had a DCM in 5.56, but changed to a CZ527 in 5.56 that has a 1:9 twist, so I gained as I never really used the DCM for high powered shoots. Next I have a few 6.5x55, that will shoot from 87gr to 160gr. 100 to 140 shoot best though.
I load from 120 to 168gr for my .308, 100 to 160 (use to be 175) in 7mm Rem mag.
I have actually sold quite a few rifles for the simple reason they never were used.

If you find a caliber, or calibers and rifle combinations that work for what you want to do, you have done well.
Before the net, There was always more time spent at the range watching competitions, talking with older shooters, spending time looking for that perfect fit, it was actually better for the shooter in many ways. I respect Axxe on this forum, he is pretty level headed and has VG knowledge. But, what works for him, may not work for me or you either. That does not make him wrong, just may be a difference in styles, uses, etc. This goes for optics also. Everything you read needs to be taken w/ that in mind. Everyone will have an opinion. Rifle brand, style, caliber is very personal. What I listed above are my preferences, but others may look at them and question them, thats ok. Many people will dog someones choice. Those days are long past for me. We all have a common thread, that's the great part about our sport. Best of luck on your choices!

Axxe, I do love you brother!
spoken like a gentleman and scholar. well said JP and thank you sir.

i have to agree with what JP said and the way he said it. it is that there are so many choices and some are so close together in ballistics, that many could be interchanged with no notice in performance. it does many times come down to personal preference many times.

my choice of the 243 Win. is probably more nostalgic for me, because there are some better, and i know this because i'm still a realist in the fact i can understand ballistics. but the 243 is a fine round and will perform it's job if the shooter does his. i like the 243 simply because it does work and i have seen that first hand, plus it was the first centerfire rifle i ever shot and the first one i ever deer hunted with as a young boy. my father still has that Winchester M70 to this day that he bought in 1968 or 1969 new. i had the opportunity a couple of years ago of cleaning and mounting a new scope on that fine old rifle for my father, and after getting it sighted in, it produced a three shot group at 100 yards that could be covered with a dime and room to spare, at just about an inch high of the bullseye where i was aiming. i have no real idea as to how many rounds have gone through that rifle over the years, but it's been quite a few! yes that rifle is still plenty accurate.

i don't hunt anymore and haven't in many years now, but i still love shooting rifles and love to do informal target shooting, so my choices in rifles and calibers more reflect that use these days. my collection is missing a 243 these days, simply because i have plenty of others that fill the same needs or uses it would serve. but i still want another simply because i want one and because of the memories i have with that particular round. i remember all the times spent with my father, him teaching me to shoot and learning from him about reloading and ballistics and the love of guns in general. without my father instilling that passion at an early age, i wonder if i would be who i am today about my love for guns.