Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rifle Insight & Recommendations

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-21-2014, 05:28 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Default Rifle Insight & Recommendations

I have done reading and taken my own experiences to come up with ideas, have been thinking 25-06, but I know by now that there are some guys that REALLY know what they are talking about on here. Note that I did say "some" though. Lol I know this has been gone over a bit but I was looking for caliber recommendations matched with a rifle and optic.

I had a Winchester Model 70 in .7mm WSM with a Nikon Monarch optic but swapped that out for a carry gun. That rifle shot distance great at the range but being in Okla and Texas it might have been to much gun for strictly whitetail. I haven't gotten into reloading and for distance target shooting, that's a pretty pricey round.

I'm looking for a caliber to be a good all purpose round for deer, coyote, and hog. What would be a good caliber choice given that game? Also what brand/model of rifle do you recommend? I would also use it to target shoot more than I would for actual hunting. I have an AR that could do the job with the right ammo for the game listed but I want a traditional rifle for such matters. What about a quality glass for it? My budget would be about $2-2.5k. I liked that AccuTrigger on my Savage .22 Mark II but I seek different opinions. Thanks a bunch!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Last edited by Okie_6Shooter; 03-21-2014 at 05:44 PM.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-21-2014, 06:43 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5249 Times on 2738 Posts
Likes Given: 331

30-06 or 308 great rounds for that. Winchester model 70 current production bout as good as it gets for a production gun. They are made by FN and i think are now superior to the pre64.

I use a scar17 with a accupoint tr24g as my do it all.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-22-2014, 03:47 AM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1112 Times on 641 Posts
Likes Given: 521

Okie,The 25/06 is a fantastic caliber,and I love mine,but unless you have a heavy barreled rifle in the caliber it isn't a target rifle. Even my heavy barreled Savage 110 FLP gets really hot after shooting a 5 shot string.
As far as I know,the Remington 700 Long Range,and the Savage 111 Long Range Hunter are the only heavy barreled 25/06's available.

Short action calibers don't get as hot,as fast as a long action in general. There are several brands of rifles being made today with calibers that would work great for your plans. I'd suggest a rifle with a medium or heavy contour if you plan on target shooting much. A sporter contour barrel will heat up in a couple shots,and need to cool off in order to remain accurate.
The 260 Remington,6.5 Creedmoor are excellent calibers,and have much better shooting bullet choices than the 25/06. The 25/06 has some great hunting bullets,but lack in having many match grade bullets for target shooting. The 6.5mm bullets have a great selection of varmint/hunting/match bullets.
The 7mm-08 is another very good choice,as is the 308.

I shoot all of these calibers,as well as others,and for varmint/deer/target shooting,I prefer the 6.5mm calibers. Since you also mentioned that you do not reload,I'd check around locally,and see what choices you have in obtaining ammo easily in your area.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 03-22-2014, 03:52 AM   #4

Liked 11 Times on 11 Posts

Boy you don't play around Tex. Great info. I'm gonna let all that sink in and do some research on some of what you said and get back to you. Thanks a bunch!

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 03-22-2014, 04:02 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5249 Times on 2738 Posts
Likes Given: 331

General rule of thumb is the bigger the difference between the diameter of the case mouth and the diameter of the case body the more its going to heat up and the fewer shots you get before it over heats.

Pretty much the more volume or charge weight a bottleneck cartridge has the worse the heat gets. Its one of several reasons machine guns went from 30-06 to 308. Similar perfomance less heat smaller size.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-22-2014, 05:10 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19817 Times on 11251 Posts
Likes Given: 49935

i'll throw in my suggestions as well. the 25-06 is also a favorite of mine and pretty versatile for many types of game if the proper ammo is used.

the 7mm-08 is also a favorite of mine and really good round. very accurate with good ballistics and mild recoil.

the 308, is good round and pretty versatile in the selections for factory ammo.

my suggestion is to check out the Marlin X7 series of rifles. they are really nice rifle at a decent price point. well made, adjustable triggers, pillar bedded stocks, a really good recoil pad and the come with scope bases already mounted. currently i own three of them in all the calibers i listed above. they are very accurate and solid rifles for the price.

i can recommend the Remington M700's as well. solid platform with many different configurations and caliber choices to choose from. some of them can be gotten at a decent price, such as the SPS line-up, but the BDL's and CDL's get a bit pricy, but are really nice rifles.

Savage rifles are solid and accurate performers. some can be had at a decent price like the Remingtons. i can recommend the Savage rifles as well.

check out the Howa and the Weatherby Vanguard. the same rifle made by the same company, just different rollmarks and stocks. nice solid performer and most are pretty accurate as well. they get very good reviews from those who own and shoot them.

Franklin1995 Likes This 
Old 03-22-2014, 01:02 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1379 Times on 937 Posts
Likes Given: 473

To give you an idea of how fast a hunting barrel heats up, my 22 wmr heats up enough to change the point of impact after seven shots. I shoot 3 shot strings with my centerfire rifles. No, I don't own a rifle with a bull barrel. I can not shoot a rifle with a bull barrel unsupported with great confidence. The primary use for my rifles is hunting. I do most of my target shooting with a rimfire.

These are one of my favorite targets.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 03-22-2014 at 01:18 PM.

Old 03-22-2014, 01:24 PM   #8

Liked 672 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 675

There are other manufacturers that make .25-06, this is worth a look.
http://www.legacysports.com/hunter-zeiss-walnut-package

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:11 PM   #9

Liked 419 Times on 236 Posts
Likes Given: 865

I definitely agree with Axxe about the Marlin. I have a Marlin XL7 chambered in .270 and am very happy with it. .270 is a good round, and that rifle is great for the price. My LGS have them for around $350, but I picked one up on sale for $300. Only bad thing is the stock, it's kind of flimsy. However, Boyds sells some stocks that are supposed to be very good. If you can DIY, you can pillar-bed the action into a Boyds stock (they come free floated). I've got a Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40 on it and it's a pretty sweet scope.

Old 03-22-2014, 07:16 PM   #10
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19817 Times on 11251 Posts
Likes Given: 49935

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franklin1995 View Post
I definitely agree with Axxe about the Marlin. I have a Marlin XL7 chambered in .270 and am very happy with it. .270 is a good round, and that rifle is great for the price. My LGS have them for around $350, but I picked one up on sale for $300. Only bad thing is the stock, it's kind of flimsy. However, Boyds sells some stocks that are supposed to be very good. If you can DIY, you can pillar-bed the action into a Boyds stock (they come free floated). I've got a Nikon Monarch UCC 3-9x40 on it and it's a pretty sweet scope.
i put my XS7 in 7mm-08 into a Boyd's grey laminated Classic stock and it's great. even looks great. Boyd's is also a vendor on the forum here as well.

my other two Marlins the 25-06 is a XL7C which has the factory dipped camo finished synthetic stock, and my XS7VH in 308, both of which i fixed the flimsy fore-end on both. it's actually quite an easy fix with a Dremel tool, some all-thread and J-B Weld epoxy.