Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rifle for Daughter

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-16-2011, 07:45 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Your response is why I am asking. I know their has to a reduction in recoil going to the SA. I am a bit more interested in the 308 because the ammo should be more availble since its pretty widly used.

Personally I would not worry about the 243 for power, my sister killed bubches of deer with a 22 250 when she used to hunt. OF course there is no telling what the old man was loading for her but she never had an animal go anywhere but down. She was a killing machine and always got dirty looks from the old guys at the deer camps when she would come back with a nice animal. It was great.

Old 10-16-2011, 10:05 PM   #12
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 19562 Times on 11103 Posts
Likes Given: 49220

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonesD View Post
Your response is why I am asking. I know their has to a reduction in recoil going to the SA. I am a bit more interested in the 308 because the ammo should be more availble since its pretty widly used.

Personally I would not worry about the 243 for power, my sister killed bubches of deer with a 22 250 when she used to hunt. OF course there is no telling what the old man was loading for her but she never had an animal go anywhere but down. She was a killing machine and always got dirty looks from the old guys at the deer camps when she would come back with a nice animal. It was great.
lots of factory ammo for the 243, but probably more for the 308. even smaller calibers can take deer with one shot if the ammo is right and the hunter places a well aimed shot. i would never be afraid to deer hunt with a 243 and the right ammo. my first deer was taken with my dads winchester M70 243 many years ago.

Old 10-17-2011, 12:07 AM   #13

Liked 2394 Times on 1363 Posts
Likes Given: 1887

I'd vote .243 for the flatter trajectory and higher initial muzzle velocity,

recoil being @ the same...

Old 10-17-2011, 06:51 PM   #14

Saw a nice Remmingtomn Model 7 Youth in a 243 today. It looks like a good deal and if I can find some lighter loads I think it will be a good bet. I just wonder if the youth model will be to short for her.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:31 PM   #15

Quote:
Saw a nice Remmingtomn Model 7 Youth in a 243 today. It looks like a good deal and if I can find some lighter loads I think it will be a good bet. I just wonder if the youth model will be to short for her.
bones, there is a sticky note in general rifle discussion by dillinger on how to measure length of pull. measure the rifle and add spacers if you need to lengthen it. you can find recoil pads of different lengths and spacers from Brownells. good resource for all things firearm related, good service and fast shipping also. good luck.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:36 PM   #16

Thanks, I saw that. Looks like the difference between the adult and the youth is only one inch. Easly remedied with a spacer if need be. I am going to go for it I beleive. I tried to post on the for sale site but was not able to. Is there a waiting period. I am new to the forum as of last week.

Thanks to all who have responded.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:50 PM   #17

Quote:
Thanks, I saw that. Looks like the difference between the adult and the youth is only one inch. Easly remedied with a spacer if need be. I am going to go for it I beleive. I tried to post on the for sale site but was not able to. Is there a waiting period. I am new to the forum as of last week.

Thanks to all who have responded.
bones, you have to have at least 25 post before you can post something for sale. just keep posting and responding! good luck with the new rifle, hope i was able to help.

Old 10-17-2011, 08:52 PM   #18

Thank you for all of your information. It is most appreciated.

Old 10-17-2011, 10:49 PM   #19

Liked 41 Times on 28 Posts
Likes Given: 19

I can tell you that I can't see any difference in recoil between my 788 Remington in .243 and Savage 10 FP in .308. I can also tell you that my daughter shot my .243 with no trouble when she was 12 and weighed a lot less than 100 pounds. I think both the .243 and .308 would be good choices for what you are looking for. The .308 will have more power of course, should it be needed.

Old 10-17-2011, 11:05 PM   #20

Liked 47 Times on 36 Posts
Likes Given: 41

There is a lot of diff between my 308 and 243. A lite load may recoil less but you will probably want to use a heavy load on deer. I think you should sight it in with the laod you will be using for hunting. She should have no problem handling the recoil from a 243. Rest assured if she shoots a deer she won't even feel the recoil.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.