Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rifle choices?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-06-2011, 01:36 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 57 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 22

Default Rifle choices?

I'm thinking about getting a new rifle. I would like something that shoots well, and is cheap. Size/weight and looks aren't important to me. Hopefully something that could be used to hunt deer, but would mostly be used at the range. And preferably something I could slap a scope on if I decided it would be worth it, but if it just has iron sights, thats fine too. Any input would be appreciated.

Animo non Astutia

Vae Victis

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-06-2011, 01:45 AM   #2

Likes Given: 2

Mosin Nagant M91 or M91/30 or some variant.
Can be am inexpensive rifle to purchase, Ammo is cheap as well, But a lot can be corrosive.
A scope may be your only issue here, But there some aftermarket stocks, scope mounts and the like.
I'm certain there are plenty of rifles available in what you are looking for.
Best of luck

Old 03-06-2011, 01:50 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8374 Times on 3623 Posts
Likes Given: 1288

Well, there is a mountain of rifles out there. IMHO, the .223 is too light for deer sized game. Several state game commissions agree with me.

If you are looking at Milsurp, the Moisin/ Nagant is cheap, plentiful, cheap ammo, and MORE than enough power to plant a deer. It CAN be scoped, with some degree of effort and cost. There are a number of 8mm Mausers, many of them Yugos going for inder $200. Same elements apply to the Mauser.

A Swiss K-31 is not as cheap as it once was. Milsurp ammo is around, getting scarcer. These can be scoped quite easily, and while they look a touch weird, shoot great.

However, you may want to think about another rifle- very light recoil, very accurate, and IMHO under appreciated- the 6.5 mm Swedish Mauser.

What we have heah is.... failure to communicate.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:30 AM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5243 Times on 2734 Posts
Likes Given: 330

depends on your definition of cheap. i saw a real nice lever action at the gunshow this weekend in 45/70 for about 500$. but im biased towards 45cal rifles.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 03-06-2011, 02:55 AM   #5

I'm getting more and more of the opinion that when someone is struggling to decide on a rifle, pick the caliber first. Then pick the price range, and finally (and probably the hardest) select the type of rifle and brand.

For example, If your only interested in 200 yds and less, you'll eliminate a lot of selections and save a lot of money.

Old 03-06-2011, 03:39 AM   #6

Liked 8 Times on 7 Posts

I would recommend a New England Firearms Handi Rifle. They are inexpensive and American made. You could get one with iron sights and if later you wanted to add a scope, they are already drilled and tapped for scope mounts.

I have two of the NEF's. One is a .30-06. I have fired it six times at animals. With those six shots I have killed five deer and a coyote. Before this past season I took the Tasco scope off of it and put a Nikon Buckmasters on it.

I have two barrels for my other Handi Rifle. One is a .50 caliber muzzleloader and the other is a .357 magnum. I have killed two deer with the muzzleloader.

(Luke 11:21 KJV) When a strong man armed keepeth his palace, his goods are in peace:

(Luke 22:36 KJV) Then said he unto them, But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one.

Old 03-06-2011, 04:16 AM   #7

Liked 1414 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Out of the Box Accuracy

Tough to beat, the Savage AXIS

Savage AXIS 3006 $276.00 SHIPS FREE

Savage AXIS 308 $280.00 SHIPS FREE

Savage AXIS XP 308 W/SCP $308.00 SHIPS FREE

Savage AXIS 308 SS $325.00 SHIPS FREE

Savage AXIS XP 3006StainlessW/SCP $359.00 SHIPS FREE

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 03-06-2011, 05:01 AM   #8

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Good choices there Cane!!!

If you like Remington...

Remington 770 SPT BOLT 3006 W/SCOPE $300.00 SHIPS FREE

Remington 770 SPT BOLT 243 W/SCOPE $301.00 SHIPS FREE

Remington 770 SPT BOLT 308 W/SCOPE $300.00 SHIPS FREE

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson

Old 03-06-2011, 05:32 AM   #9

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

No offense Panda but the Remington model 770 is simply a redesigned model 710. I wouldn't recommend them to anyone-especially with the Savage Axis, the Marlin X-7, and the Remington model 700 SPS on the market for the same or just a touch more money. You wouldn't believe all the 710s & 770s I got in over the years since their introduction for repair/send back to factory.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 03-06-2011, 05:41 AM   #10

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

No offense taken Bear, EVER!! I thank you for the info, as I have been considering a Rem. If the Savage is that much better a rifle, especially in the opinion of a very experienced Smith, then I will definitely heed your advice. Thank You.

"I pledge allegiance to the flag of the United States of America, and to the republic for which it stands, one nation under God, indivisible, with liberty and justice for all."

The two enemies of the people are criminals and government, so let us tie the second down with the chains of the Constitution so the second will not become the legalized version of the first. Thomas Jefferson