Rifle Categories??? - Page 3

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rifle Categories???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-30-2012, 02:45 AM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1423 Times on 933 Posts
Likes Given: 3039

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
Yous guys can argue all you want about the Mauser & Enfield rifles, and I love my Enfields & yes it is a better Battle Rifle, but the reason I mentioned the Semi-Auto Battle Rifle was the M1 Garand, Called "The greatest battle implement ever devised" Quote General George S. Patton...........
Actually we're pretty much agreeing on the Mauser & Enfield.

I think the M1 Garand was the best battle rifle of WWII, and Patton was correct when he made that statement. The M1 Garand was a reliable and accurate semi-auto in a world of bolt actions. It was a true game changer, but eventually it was improved upon and became the M14. It is still much more historically significant than the M14, but the M14 is a better semi-auto battle rifle. At least that's my opinion, and we all know what that's worth.

Old 06-30-2012, 02:59 AM   #22

Liked 8 Times on 8 Posts
Likes Given: 31

What is the difference between a "carbine" and a "battle carbine"? A pistol round versus a light rifle round? Thanks in advance, a quick Google did not provide the answer for me.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:53 AM   #23
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny357 View Post
What is the difference between a "carbine" and a "battle carbine"? A pistol round versus a light rifle round? Thanks in advance, a quick Google did not provide the answer for me.
Just remember, you asked.

Let me start by saying I don't think there are any actual rules on any of this?

I consider an assault rifle to be a battle carbine, but any carbine issued to solders or marines for battle is a battle carbine. An M1 Carbine is a battle carbine. I also consider an M4 and AK 47 to be battle carbines.

Just a plain "carbine" is any carbine but I'm thinking mainly of hunting rifles. I personally consider all early Winchesters lever actions to be carbines despite many having long barrels because they fired small cartridges? But that is just my opinion.

The Winchester 100 was offered in a carbine model and it came in .308? So any down sized rifle could be considered a carbine.

The M4 is a downsized M16 so it's a carbine, but I also personally consider the M16 a carbine. It's smaller than a battle rifle (M14, M1 Garand, and so on) in both size and ammo so for me that makes it a carbine, and also a battle carbine because it is issued to solders and marines for battle. Light rifle is probably a much better description of the M16 and AK47, but I still consider both to be carbines. Besides, what exactly is a light rifle now with the advent of the .50 Barrett?

I'm not sure where exactly the line is drawn? Is a full size Winchester model 94 in 30/30 a rifle or a carbine? I personally draw the line there with the Model 94 in 30/30, but I'm still not sure which side of the line it falls on?

At least that's my .02

Old 06-30-2012, 04:21 AM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Default Best Battle Carbine?

Hopefully what I think of as battle carbine makes sense? And with that out of the way, what is the best battle carbine? This is the one category I'm really struggling with. I honestly can't see any clear winner here.

The two obvious choices are the AR and the AK, but both have strengths and weaknesses. The AR is more accurate and a higher quality rifle, and the AK is more reliable with what I think is a better round. That is only my opinion and I only think it is a slightly better round. I personally like the thoughts of the 6.8 but that's another topic.

This is not meant to be another AR v AK debate. I'm pretty familiar with both and I like both (I like almost all guns). I'm hoping someone can think out side the box here and give me a new way to think about this. And keep in mind I'm trying to figure what gun I think is the best in each category throughout the history of that category. The AR has not been perfected because there are constant changes being made to it. The same goes for the AK. And I'm not sure I would call all of the changes progress for either (only three shot bursts)? Is there some other gun that I'm just completely forgetting about? I love my mini, but I just don't consider it a battle carbine even though it could be. How about the SCAR?

Old 06-30-2012, 02:37 PM   #25
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1311 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 1373

So this is a Battle Carbine right ?

dsc01392.jpg  

When all else fails.

Old 06-30-2012, 03:26 PM   #26
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
So this is a Battle Carbine right ?
Yes, even though it appears to fire a pretty good size round.

And what is that? French MAS maybe?

Old 07-02-2012, 06:21 AM   #27
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1311 Times on 894 Posts
Likes Given: 1373

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
Yes, even though it appears to fire a pretty good size round.

And what is that? French MAS maybe?

Yes, It is a 49/56 in 7.5 French....................

When all else fails.