Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rifle Categories???

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-29-2012, 06:07 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 94

Rolling Block
Falling Block
Flint Lock
Cap & Ball... the numerous types of muzzle loaders.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:52 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1156 Times on 742 Posts
Likes Given: 2189

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
Many of your categories overlap. Battle rifle, Hunting rifle, Battle carbine. Same action, just barrel length. Still used to a point in one way or another. Model 98 Mauser. The '93, '94, 95, 96, '09, are no slouches either.
The overlap is why I picked the pre 64 model Winchester as the best period. I went with Enfield as the best bolt action battle rifle (for many reasons) and it was of course a close race with the Mauser. The Winchester model 70 was also on the short list for best bolt action hunting rifle. That Mauser action was near or at the top for both categories, and it is the action that pretty much all modern bolt actions are based on. I also think the pre 64 is about as good as the Mauser action will ever get. So it got best overall. Now if I can just find one in 7mm Mauser, which set the standard for almost all other case designs.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:55 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Kid View Post
Rolling Block
Falling Block
Flint Lock
Cap & Ball... the numerous types of muzzle loaders.
I'm keeping this as simple as I can, center fire only.

Old 06-29-2012, 02:40 PM   #14

Liked 35 Times on 17 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by TLuker View Post
I've got several rifles that I've ended up with after years of hunting. But lately I've been thinking more about collecting and not just having the guns I need for whatever particular purpose. The problem was I couldn't decide what to collect. I like them all!!! Well today I finally figured out what I want to collect. I want the best of each of each type of rifle. Now by "the best" I don't mean the most expensive. I mean the rifle that set the standard for each type. For example, I think the plain old Winchester model 94 pretty much set the standard for lever actions. Of course this is very subjective and everyone will have a different opinion as to what "the best" is, but all this made me start wondering about categories?

These are the categories I've listed so far:

Battle Rifle
Bolt Action Battle Rifle
Battle Carbine
Carbine
Bolt Action Hunting Rifle
Semi-Auto Hunting Rifle
Lever Action
Pump
Single Shot

So what categories am I missing are does this about cover it? And this is just for center rifles.
How about a 'Specialty Rifle' catagory. I think some may apply like an over/under rifle/shotgun combo or even a multi-barrel rifle, or revolver sytyle magazin rifle, etc....

Old 06-29-2012, 03:27 PM   #15
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 784 Posts
Likes Given: 1150

Quote:
I've got several rifles that I've ended up with after years of hunting. But lately I've been thinking more about collecting and not just having the guns I need for whatever particular purpose. The problem was I couldn't decide what to collect. I like them all!!! Well today I finally figured out what I want to collect. I want the best of each of each type of rifle. Now by "the best" I don't mean the most expensive. I mean the rifle that set the standard for each type. For example, I think the plain old Winchester model 94 pretty much set the standard for lever actions. Of course this is very subjective and everyone will have a different opinion as to what "the best" is, but all this made me start wondering about categories?

These are the categories I've listed so far:

Battle Rifle
Bolt Action Battle Rifle
Battle Carbine
Carbine
Bolt Action Hunting Rifle
Semi-Auto Hunting Rifle
Lever Action
Pump
Single Shot

So what categories am I missing are does this about cover it? And this is just for center rifles.
I don`t see Semi-Auto Battle Rifle in there..........

When all else fails.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:06 PM   #16

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 712

Quote:
The overlap is why I picked the pre 64 model Winchester as the best period. I went with Enfield as the best bolt action battle rifle (for many reasons) and it was of course a close race with the Mauser. The Winchester model 70 was also on the short list for best bolt action hunting rifle. That Mauser action was near or at the top for both categories, and it is the action that pretty much all modern bolt actions are based on. I also think the pre 64 is about as good as the Mauser action will ever get. So it got best overall. Now if I can just find one in 7mm Mauser, which set the standard for almost all other case designs.
I don't disagree w/ the pre 64 Model 70. I think the 98 Mauser has an edge because of the cock on open, But the 10 round capacity of the Enfield sure helps it. I'm always on the lookout for a 7x57 also.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 06-29-2012, 10:27 PM   #17
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

I've decided not add double rifle as a category to my list. They are certainly an individual rifle category, but I have no desire to own one and I have no idea how I could ever determine what the best one is. Each is essentially a custom rifle and almost all of the high end double rifles are quality rifles. I might add a double .303 at some point many years in the future if I just happened to stumble across one?

As for the single shot category, there are any number of actions that could qualify. I think this category is going to be more about the "spirit of the law" rather than the letter. The purpose of most single shots became accuracy, power, and distance. These rifles evolved from converted muskets into hand held artillery pieces used to precisely lob rounds first at buffalo and then at long distance targets. They were the .50 cal Barrett of their day. And I think the Winchester 1885 (Hi Wall) was about the best artillery piece out there? Not to mention it was John Browning's first design and launched his career. So I'm going to give the title of best single shot to the 1885, but I'll probably get a Ruger No1. I want guns to shoot and that's probably not going to happen with an original 1885. There are the Browning and Winchester reproductions, but there is just something about "Made in Japan" that bothers me on a rifle!

I'm not sure about the specialty category?

As for semi-auto battle rifle, I guess that was a Freudian slip? I think I just assumed the best semi-auto battle rifle would be the best battle rifle, but that wouldn't necessarily be the case. I think a Mauser is a better all around rifle than a Lee Enfield .303, but I think the Lee Enfield is still a better "battle rifle".

And yes I'm really bored right now, its 107 outside and I haven't finished insulating and adding air to my shed yet.

Old 06-29-2012, 11:08 PM   #18
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by jpattersonnh View Post
I don't disagree w/ the pre 64 Model 70. I think the 98 Mauser has an edge because of the cock on open, But the 10 round capacity of the Enfield sure helps it. I'm always on the lookout for a 7x57 also.
I think the Mauser is a better action. But the Enfield had a very slight edge in rate of fire due to the rear locking lugs and the British were smart enough to fully exploit that slight advantage with great training (the mad minute) and the 10 round box magazine. The bolt head on the Enfield also made field repairs much simpler. Adjusting the head space was literally as easy as changing a light bulb. The Enfield was also the longest serving battle rifle, and I believe it also has the distinction of being used in more conflicts than any other rifle?

I don't think the Lee Enfield could ever be considered a better rifle than a Mauser, but I think the British through ingenuity and will made it the best bolt action battle rifle?

Old 06-29-2012, 11:30 PM   #19

Liked 694 Times on 475 Posts
Likes Given: 712

Quote:
I think the Mauser is a better action. But the Enfield had a very slight edge in rate of fire due to the rear locking lugs and the British were smart enough to fully exploit that slight advantage with great training (the mad minute) and the 10 round box magazine. The bolt head on the Enfield also made field repairs much simpler. Adjusting the head space was literally as easy as changing a light bulb. The Enfield was also the longest serving battle rifle, and I believe it also has the distinction of being used in more conflicts than any other rifle?

I don't think the Lee Enfield could ever be considered a better rifle than a Mauser, but I think the British through ingenuity and will made it the best bolt action battle rifle?
The Brits even wanted a Mauser action before WWII. It was scrapped because of the war. The .280 Brit would have enabled the troops to carry more ammo. It was a 7mm. Ingenuity and necessity carried on the Enfield.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 06-30-2012, 01:02 AM   #20
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1143 Times on 784 Posts
Likes Given: 1150

Yous guys can argue all you want about the Mauser & Enfield rifles, and I love my Enfields & yes it is a better Battle Rifle, but the reason I mentioned the Semi-Auto Battle Rifle was the M1 Garand, Called "The greatest battle implement ever devised" Quote General George S. Patton...........

When all else fails.