Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rifle caliber choice.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-09-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Default Rifle caliber choice.

We hear all the time here and everywhere. I have a 556 and a 308 because that is going to be the most ammo available in the event of the buttmunching space raindeer zombies come to attack.

What I want to know is why so many think that way. I am counting on every last drop of 556, 223, 308, and 762 ammo to be sucked up in a matter of minutes or hours at the most along with every last drop of 7.62x54mm and 7.,62x39mm ammo. It is all going to be gone faster than you can shake a stick at. Then I will come in and remove the store of all of its rimfire ammo and ammo for my rifles that are not chambered in such popular calibers.

What say you? do you think that all that ammo is going to be just sitting on street corners or will it all be gone in a matter of minutes.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-09-2010, 10:33 PM   #2

I think the age of having a certain rifle or handgun because ammo is cheap and easily accessible is OVER! 556s and 762s, and don't forget about the ole 45 acp, are, well, not cheap or easily found amy more. Like you stated ATF could secure every last round of NATO type ammo in 24 hrs. I bet.

I noticed this mindset in a recent thread about 'which 5 calibers do you like' or something like that. A lot of people selected the 308 over the 30-06 and the 223 over the 243 or the 'tack driving' 222.

Old 12-09-2010, 10:35 PM   #3

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

The first rifle I bought was to deer hunt with. I was in college and needed an affordable rifle in a caliber I could use for a wide variety of game. The main animal I was after was whitetail but I could see myself hunting larger game. I quickly knew I wanted a .30 rifle and shortly after that started the debate between 308 and .30-06. I went with a 30-06 because of it's history and wide variety of loads available. It is very similar to a 308 but there are a few more receipes out there for the handloader in 30-06.

As far as SHTF....I wasn't thinking about it at the time but now that I consider it I doubt I'll have a hard time finding at 30-06 ammo should that happen. I have since added a 223 to my collections which also helps.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-09-2010, 10:44 PM   #4

cpttango30 you have a point. This being the mindset of every joe blow I think the stock would be depleted ASAP.
Calibers not widely used for pda like the 30-06 would be perfect.

[http://mercop.wordpress.com
http://www.themensroomonline.net/

NRA Certified Firearms Instructor
Certified (Traveling) Notary State Of FL

Old 12-09-2010, 10:48 PM   #5

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Being able to reload doesn't hurt anything either in a SHTF situation. Not only do I have 200 or so factory loads I have the means to load several hundred more. If you're inside 400yds you are well within range.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 12-09-2010, 11:10 PM   #6

Liked 622 Times on 427 Posts
Likes Given: 611

Tango, You have butt munchers? With the Ammo issues that have been around the last few years, I was always happy to find .44-40 in stock all but once. Stocking up is fine, but if a bunch of Bad people are targeting my house, there is not much time to reload. Being able to load up 15 rifles + extra mags, and 8 pistols also w/ speed loaders and mags makes more sense. Just grab a new firearm. Every house has 4 sides, so you need people w/ you. To pack it all up and hump it out is a fools venture. Ammo is heavy, real heavy. Your homes walls are pretty fragile when bullets impact. I guess if I were a paranoid person, I would have moved to the Mountains years ago. I may though, but for a different reason.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:13 PM   #7

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
We hear all the time here and everywhere. I have a 556 and a 308 because that is going to be the most ammo available in the event of the buttmunching space raindeer zombies come to attack.

What I want to know is why so many think that way. I am counting on every last drop of 556, 223, 308, and 762 ammo to be sucked up in a matter of minutes or hours at the most along with every last drop of 7.62x54mm and 7.,62x39mm ammo. It is all going to be gone faster than you can shake a stick at. Then I will come in and remove the store of all of its rimfire ammo and ammo for my rifles that are not chambered in such popular calibers.

What say you? do you think that all that ammo is going to be just sitting on street corners or will it all be gone in a matter of minutes.
I have felt this way for years in regards to commercial ammo.

But I think most of the people who are talking about it are assuming they can steal, barter for or otherwise "acquire" 5.56 or 7.62 ammo from "occupying troops" that may arrive to keep the peace.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 12-09-2010, 11:26 PM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Everyone needs to have as much ammo as they can get their hands on, plan on not being able to get more after they have used what they have on hand, and make each shot count. After that, I hope your Ka-Bar is good and sharp.

Old 12-09-2010, 11:41 PM   #9

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Caliber popularity cuts both ways. In the event of "emergency" the supply might get depleted fast but there will still be a lot more of it out there than "exotic" calibers. In SHTF scenario, what do you think are the chances of you finding someone willing to sell, part or barter some .270, .308 or .30-06 vs. .338 Lapua or .300 RUM ammo?

Popular calibers also tend to be cheaper due to mass production so you can afford to stock more now.

That is my thinking/reasoning for choosing .308 anyway.

Old 12-10-2010, 12:08 AM   #10

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Great topic Tango and THANK YOU for taking point to get some new topics of interest rolling. *respect*

My position has been, for the 15 or so years, is to have ammo on hand. I am not talking about enough to plink for a weekend and have 3 or 4 loaded mags in the safe.

I mean enough to be able to fill every mag you have a few times over and enough to be able to barter or trade with, if you get the chance or need to do it.

Now, I have 5.56mm and .308 and .45ACP and .22lr in large quantities for the mere reason that they are common, American cartridges.

In the event of SHTF, like Katrina, and you need to defend your own for two weeks, three weeks, you are not going to need a ton of ammo. You are going to need food, water and the meds you take every day.

No one ever talks about that, do they?

I take a med ( Lisinopril ) every day to keep my BP under control. Because of my medical plan, I can safely order 90 pills at a time from a mail order plan and each time I syphon a few off and put them in a very small Pelican 1040 case. I probably only have about 25 or 30 in there, but that is 25 or 30 I don't have to worry about "when/if" happens. You know?

Now, as for the ammo argument where we started:

Let's go with the Bureau of Oppression scoops up every single American made round on the planet.

1) - They have to store it all somewhere.

2) - All there troops are not going to live through every encounter.

I'm sorry, but if History has shown anything, supply lines can be VERY easily compromised and no matter how great your plan, if your supplies get cut off, you be effed.

Don't believe me? Google a guy by the name of Rommel.

The Bureau of Oppression isn't going to have a battalion protecting every ammo depot. And they aren't going to remember to sweep and clear every single police station, National Guard station or armory, every sporting goods store, "redneck" equipment establishment.

There are going to be gaps.

Stay Frosty. Keep yours close. Take care of "your AO" until such time that is time to extend it for protection of those listed above and don't be afraid to keep a few members of the FTF core close in your head and heart, because you know those snake eaters will have your back & they will bring the hardware.

Thanks for the topic Tango! I mean that brother.

JD