Rifle Break In / Maintenance
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rifle Break In / Maintenance

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-12-2011, 06:35 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rifle Break In / Maintenance

Hello!

So I recently made my first ever purchase of a firearm, after much deliberation I decided on a Hi-Point 995TS.

I'll be receiving it hopefully this weekend, and want to know what I should do to prepare it for it's first trip to the range, and what to do after it's first trip to the range.

This is completely foreign territory for me so I'd really appreciate your advice on what sort of break in would be helpful as well as what you do as part of your regular maintenance routine. Brand names or specific product recommendations would be greatly appreciated as I'm am familiar enough to know what the "good" brands are.

Thanks!

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-12-2011, 06:41 PM   #2

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

If it's a new weapon it will have a book with that will tell you about break-in and maintance, what to shoot and what to not shoot.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5803 Times on 3030 Posts
Likes Given: 398

with a new to you gun used or nib first thing is a thorough cleaning including the bore then lube it up according to the manual before you shoot it.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-12-2011, 09:56 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post
with a new to you gun used or nib first thing is a thorough cleaning including the bore then lube it up according to the manual before you shoot it.
So having just found and read the manual I do feel a little better prepared, I know the the frequency to do things like a full disassembly (1500-200 rounds) or to clean the barrel out every 300-400 rounds. The problem is, I'm not sure what to do beyond what I've been told.

Looking at the exploded view of the Hi-Point I think I can take it all apart (and put it back together), I just don't know what I should be doing once it's disassembled. Presumably there are parts I should clean or lubricate or never flipping touch, I just don't know what to do. If there's a lubricant I should use is it something specific, do I just go buy some WD-40?

Thanks!

Old 04-12-2011, 10:13 PM   #5

Liked 2058 Times on 827 Posts
Likes Given: 2706

I do not use WD-40 on any weapon, you can use gun oils for lub'ing the parts which can be got at most stores that sell shooting supply's like Wal-Mart

Old 04-12-2011, 10:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by opaww View Post
I do not use WD-40 on any weapon, you can use gun oils for lub'ing the parts which can be got at most stores that sell shooting supply's like Wal-Mart
I suspected WD40 was the wrong type of lube but was intentionally being a little dense, is there a specific type of lube you'd recommend? Also, presumably there are some devices used in the cleaning process, I obviously need some sort of brush to clean the barrel, but what else should be in my cleaning toolkit?

Old 04-12-2011, 11:45 PM   #7
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5803 Times on 3030 Posts
Likes Given: 398

breakfree clp for general carbon removal it also works as a lubricant in a pinch. for the bore hoppes #9. usully illwet the parts with clp smear it all over then wipe. for the bore start from the breach end if possible with a patch soaked in hoppes#9. let it sit for a bit then run a brush of appropriate caliber through the bore 4 or 5 times. then run dry wet dry patches using hoppes till the dry come out with nothing but hopppes. at that point run dry patches till they come out dry.

then for storage run a lightly coated clp patch through the bore then 1 dry patch and bore is done.

not a good idea to take it apart past basic field strip unless your willing to pay a smith to put it back together again

for lubricant when shooting mobil 1 synthetic works well.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 04-13-2011, 07:59 PM   #8

Liked 2555 Times on 1456 Posts
Likes Given: 1985

There's so many good brands, I don't really want to advertise here.

Many gun and automotive brands make specifically dedicated gun oil.

Worry more about frequent and proper use, rather than a specific brand.

What I do (everybody does it a little differently) is use a lighter cleaning oil on

firearms I'm not done using. With my completely cleaned firearms I use the

thicker lubrication oil or grease before storage.

Old 04-13-2011, 08:11 PM   #9

Once disassembled I use CLP to get it all nice 'n' purty. I also use either REM oil or break grease (I also use grease for high heat ballbearings). Grease works great if you want to keep the lubricant where you place it.

Lube with either oil or grease any place there is friction. Looking for wear after disassembly can find the spots that need it.

The type of gun I'm cleaning determines the type of lube. For my Glock, a drop of oil on the recommended parts is all I need to do after a CLP cleaning.

For my Stainless 1911, I use grease where recommended.

Search YouTube using cleaning/lubing with your firearms name and you should find some great video instructions on how to disassemble/lubricate most firearms.

Good luck and enjoy, half the fun of shooting is taking it home and cleaning it. The firearms I own don't need to be cleaned as often as I clean them - it's just so much fun!