Rifle break in - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion >

Rifle break in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 05:34 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Never have done it and my 223 will shot sub 1/2" groups at 100 yards. Now really there is no need on a good high quality barrel. they are all hand lapped and finished at the manufacture.

I dunno my grandfather never did and he had plenty of high end guns. we are talking gun that would today cost $2000+ to built without optics and the optics would be $1000+.

Like SGK said if it makes you feel better go a head it is just adding work and wasting bullets in my eyes.

Old 02-10-2010, 05:52 AM   #22

Liked 374 Times on 255 Posts
Likes Given: 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud4Brains View Post
What does this "Hand Lapping" process consist of?

Your post kind of makes it sound like hand lapping and breaking in are relatively close in terms of results when trying to get a smooth bore.

Sorry if that's a dumb question...I'm pretty much a Newb when it comes to getting this granular with accuracy of rifles.
Break in IMO is really more about polishing out the throat. Heres what Krieger has to say about finish lapped and non finished lapped barrels and barrel break in. Break-In & Cleaning

Old 02-10-2010, 04:22 PM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud4Brains View Post
What does this "Hand Lapping" process consist of?

Your post kind of makes it sound like hand lapping and breaking in are relatively close in terms of results when trying to get a smooth bore.

Sorry if that's a dumb question...I'm pretty much a Newb when it comes to getting this granular with accuracy of rifles.
First off, this isnt a dumb question. This is a term that is usually reserved to rifles that you wont find "on the shelf" at your local gun shop.

Hand lapping uses a tool that looks similar to a cleaning rod and a lapping compound (think of this kinda like liquid sandpaper) The idea is to hand turn the rod the same direction as the bullet spins. There is a big risk of doing more harm than good on a production or factory barrel that is already crowned and chambered as you will open up both ends of the barrel by doing this. This process takes time and patience and skill as you are removing material from the bore. Removing too much will round the corners of the rifling which is taking precious life from your bore. The idea is to make a smooth polished surface without removing too much material while still keeping the integrity of your rifling intact.

Old 02-10-2010, 06:29 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
Do you own a borescope? Have you borescoped barrels before and after? In my 28 years of gumsmithing and competition shooting I have-a LOT. I.ve seen remarkable differences from hand lapping or breaking in the barrel..
Stalkingbear this thread has turned into the proverbial **** storm brother.

I, like stalkingbear, have also been a shooter and rifle builder for more years than some of you have been alive. As such we have much more personal contact with the people who actually make barrels for a living. Funny thing is I have never had one yet tell me that there is no benefit to barrel break in, and in fact have all recommended some form of break in. Tim North, to name and quote just one, of Broughton Barrels recommends at least a 5 round lead angle/throat break in. This is on a hand lapped barrel. Stalkingbear is also right when he says that a factory production bore will generally require more rounds to achieve desirable results.

Hand lapping is done a number of different ways and should NEVER be attempted by a home "gunsmith". I have hand lapped more bores than I can count over the years that I have been a riflesmith. In years past not all high quality bores were hand lapped as an integral part of the manufacturing process and was only offered as an option.

Some barrel makers lap to consistent bore, land, and groove dimensions, and others lap a taper to the bore. Both methods work admirably though I prefer a taped bore. Some use a cast slug and others use fiber tape with both mediums being impregnated with abrasive compound. A rod with a swivel handle, like a cleaning rod has, allows the slug to follow the rifling. Most will measure the bore during and after the process with inside calipers and/or lead slugs that can be formed to the bore, removed and then measured with a micrometer to verify dimensions. The finish of the bore after lapping will vary from barrel maker to barrel maker also. Too smooth a finish will increase the bearing surface area and create problems, and a rough finish will lead to faster copper fouling. Like the chamber finish, the finish should have no tooling flaws, but be rough enough to to reduce the bearing surface area.

We slug and borescope every bore we purchase and always will. If there are any flaws, which is very rare to non existent with the manufacturers we use, then the bore is rejected and replaced. Slugging the bore will tell us if the hole is round or egg shaped, whether the dimensions are consistent throughout the bore from one end to the other, and if the bore has a taper to it and how much taper. Boresoping will allow us to look for voids in the material or flaws that can be seen visually.
www.mpirifles.com

Old 02-10-2010, 07:05 PM   #25

Liked 38 Times on 32 Posts

Quote:
Stalkingbear this thread has turned into the proverbial **** storm brother.
How do you figure? We each have different ways to go about this. No matter what your barrel is going to get broke in as you shoot it. I just don't do what you do. I really don't care how long you have been doing something. My dad has a ruger M77VT that was never broke in like you say it should be and it shoots 3/8" 5 shot 100 yard groups. in fact the 223, 22-250, and 243 ruger all shoot 1/2" or less with hand loads. Never broke them barrels in.

His Pre 64 model 70 Super Grade on its 7th barrel has never been broke in but it shoot darn near 1 hole groups at 100 yards. It is even one of them barrel burning 220 Swifts.

His M98 25 Niedner custom bench rifle as been shooting the exact same load into the exact same size groups for 60+ years. Yes it is a 25 Niedner it was made before 1969 I believe it was made in the early 50's.

Sorry but I have seen more evidence that it is a waste of bullets and time in my eyes.

Old 02-10-2010, 07:10 PM   #26

Liked 48 Times on 28 Posts

From the Shillen website:

How should I break-in my new Shilen barrel?
Break-in procedures are as diverse as cleaning techniques. Shilen, Inc. introduced a break-in procedure mostly because customers seemed to think that we should have one. By and large, we don't think breaking-in a new barrel is a big deal.

Welcome to Shilen Rifles, Inc.