Rifle break in - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rifle break in

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 07:13 PM   #11
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5694 Times on 2973 Posts
Likes Given: 379

depends ont he weapon. some weapons dont matter since practical accuracy 100-200 yard range is hardly an issue. competition weapons and long range weapons its a whole different matter. my 458Lott and 458 winmag are good to 400 yards with certain loads but they are hunting arms and generally shortrange so break in period doesnt really matter same for my ruger sr556 and colt sp1 no point to break in with those. my remington 700 which is my competition gun i broke it in cleaning after every 5 rounds or so for the first 50.

it really depends on the gun and what your going to use it for whether or not you care to bother with breaking it in.

Old 02-09-2010, 11:57 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madderdaddy View Post
i got a new marlin 336SS 30/30 and was wondering if there is any type of barrell brekin procedure i should follow to ensure accuacy and quality.
Thanks

Yeah, take it out and shoot it. Dont worry about running a patch down the bore after every time you touch it or any of that mumbo jumbo. I've broken in many rifles and none of that stuff helps anything. You could say that it helps if you are grouping several types of ammo and wanted to have a more controlled test, but more fluctuation will come from barrel heat than the residue from 10 rounds on the bore of your barrel.

Old 02-10-2010, 12:24 AM   #13

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The whole purpose of breaking in a barrel is to burmish the bore and remove the microscopic burrs in the rifling that rips tiny amounts of bullet jacket. You're not trying to remove powder residue but copper from the bullet jackets. Breaking in factory barrels is a proven way to get less fouling over the course of shooting. As a side benefit it sometimes produces better accuracy. With aftermarket barrels of top quality this is usually not needed because they hand lap the barrels when making them. Hand lapping is also an excellent way of accomplishing the same thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SirGeorgeKillian View Post
Yeah, take it out and shoot it. Dont worry about running a patch down the bore after every time you touch it or any of that mumbo jumbo. I've broken in many rifles and none of that stuff helps anything. You could say that it helps if you are grouping several types of ammo and wanted to have a more controlled test, but more fluctuation will come from barrel heat than the residue from 10 rounds on the bore of your barrel.

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 02-10-2010, 01:10 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by stalkingbear View Post
The whole purpose of breaking in a barrel is to burmish the bore and remove the microscopic burrs in the rifling that rips tiny amounts of bullet jacket. You're not trying to remove powder residue but copper from the bullet jackets. Breaking in factory barrels is a proven way to get less fouling over the course of shooting. As a side benefit it sometimes produces better accuracy. With aftermarket barrels of top quality this is usually not needed because they hand lap the barrels when making them. Hand lapping is also an excellent way of accomplishing the same thing.
I feel the need to politely disagree. To remove the microscopic burs that you are talking about, it takes hundreds of rounds to achieve. This is unlikely to be achieved in a single range visit that most people "break in" their rifle with. I see more barrels wore out due to cleaning rods than from actual bullets. This includes barrels cleaned using "proper" techniques. Cleaning after a few rounds will not help your break in any barrel.

This is only if the bore of said barrel was cut with dull tooling. There is a chance that you can get a barrel that was cut with dull tooling in a mass produced rifle, but once again, it will take more rounds than you will fire while "breaking in" a bore to correct this problem.

Old 02-10-2010, 01:22 AM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts

The barrel on my rem7600 35 whelen was the roughest Ive broke in so far. There was a spot in the barrel that you could feel the patch catch on.
It would take me 15-20 patches after each shot to remove the copper fouling.
I gradually felt the rough spot smooth up and now cleaning even after +20 shots reveals very little copper fouling.
It will hold .75 MOA at 100yds (not bad for a pump rifle and a 7x scope) for a long time between cleanings.
Even though I have to clean it from the muzzle due to the design (I use a muzzle guide)I dont think I have ruined my rifle through cleaning.
I think it is now better off due to the little bit of attention I paid it when new.----.02

----------Gate
It's time to burn it down

Old 02-10-2010, 01:30 AM   #16

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Do you own a borescope? Have you borescoped barrels before and after? In my 28 years of gumsmithing and competition shooting I have-a LOT. I.ve seen remarkable differences from hand lapping or breaking in the barrel..

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 02-10-2010, 01:39 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
I.ve seen remarkable differences from hand lapping or breaking in the barrel..
What does this "Hand Lapping" process consist of?

Your post kind of makes it sound like hand lapping and breaking in are relatively close in terms of results when trying to get a smooth bore.

Sorry if that's a dumb question...I'm pretty much a Newb when it comes to getting this granular with accuracy of rifles.

"Those who hammer their guns into plows will plow for those who don't" -Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-10-2010, 01:39 AM   #18

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Madderdaddy View Post
i got a new marlin 336SS 30/30 and was wondering if there is any type of barrell brekin procedure i should follow to ensure accuacy and quality.
Thanks
It's a hunting gun not a target gun. Sight it in, go hunt with it and clean it at the end of the season. Repeat next year...

I have seen barrels in old military rifles that were so rough they looked like they were cleand with sandpaper and they shoot great groups. Will they foul easier, sure they will. Does it really matter in a gun that gets shot a few boxes of ammo in the course of a year. No...

Old 02-10-2010, 01:45 AM   #19

Liked 46 Times on 28 Posts

Quote:
Do you own a borescope? Have you borescoped barrels before and after? In my 28 years of gumsmithing and competition shooting I have-a LOT. I.ve seen remarkable differences from hand lapping or breaking in the barrel..
With all due respect to your years of experience, would you ever bother to borescope a 30-30 lever action? Would any kind of break in process make a significant difference in a gun like that.

The guy didn't buy a 22-250 to shoot hundreds of rounds over a Pdog town at distances of many hundreds of yards. He's got a short range deer gun.

Old 02-10-2010, 04:05 AM   #20

Quote:
I was of the same opinion as yourself, along with my trusted gunsmith. In the early 2000's I read an article by Gale McMillan (R.I.P.) which explained the origins of this break in method. I shared the article with my smith who was as dumbfounded as myself. We spent some time looking at bores of new and old. We found that most "gains" from breaking in a bore were about as beneficial as a sugar pill "placebo" is to cure cancer. Thats my experience with the deal, if breaking in a new barrel works for you and makes you feel warm and fuzzy, then by all means do it, I havent on any rifles I own and I have no problems keeping them sub MOA for as far as I can stretch their legs.