Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rifle brand...in .300 Win Mag

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-02-2010, 06:24 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 47 Times on 28 Posts

Default Rifle brand...in .300 Win Mag

I've decided to go with .300 Win Mag as my caliber of choice.

Now, can anyone recommend what brand has the best quality for the fairest price?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-02-2010, 06:56 PM   #2

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I would personally reccomend checking out a Browning or a Winchester.
I have been very happy with my Browning and Winchester rifles.

What made you decide on the 300 WIN MAG?

I would also try checking out the 300 WSM, it has better ballistics and the rounds and the guns cost right about the same. just my .02

Old 02-02-2010, 07:39 PM   #3

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Winchesters cost $1000+ that is stupid. FN is making them and trying to get a premium for them.

Me right now. I would look at GULP HOWA, Savage and Remington (MAYBE).

We all know JD loves him some Jap rifles. Thats all fine and dandy. Their econ is not hurting as bad as our. So I say look at a Savage.

Look at the Savage 114 if you want a nice looking wood stocked version. If you want a go anywhere do anything leave it in the rain kind of gun then take a look at the Savage 116 FHSS.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/

Howa Rifles

Now lets talk optics. I am saying Nikon right now. Lon You know I like nikon scopes. Just what power are you wanting. If you are wanting to shoot out to 600 then I am going to say 4-16 or that 5-20 like you just got for the AR. Either should work real good. Give you a nice low power to get a shot off and plenty of power up high for them longer shots.

Old 02-02-2010, 07:46 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
Winchesters cost $1000+ that is stupid. FN is making them and trying to get a premium for them.

Me right now. I would look at GULP HOWA, Savage and Remington (MAYBE).

We all know JD loves him some Jap rifles. Thats all fine and dandy. Their econ is not hurting as bad as our. So I say look at a Savage.

Look at the Savage 114 if you want a nice looking wood stocked version. If you want a go anywhere do anything leave it in the rain kind of gun then take a look at the Savage 116 FHSS.

http://www.savagearms.com/firearms/finder/

Howa Rifles

Now lets talk optics. I am saying Nikon right now. Lon You know I like nikon scopes. Just what power are you wanting. If you are wanting to shoot out to 600 then I am going to say 4-16 or that 5-20 like you just got for the AR. Either should work real good. Give you a nice low power to get a shot off and plenty of power up high for them longer shots.
To be honest, I'm thinking about moving the Nikon back and forth between the AR and the new rifle, provided I have the right mount. Can I get Picatinny installed on the .300?

Old 02-02-2010, 07:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroque View Post
I have been very happy with my Browning and Winchester rifles.

What made you decide on the 300 WIN MAG?

I would also try checking out the 300 WSM, it has better ballistics and the rounds and the guns cost right about the same. just my .02
Based on suggestions from forum members and from gun shop guys today.

Am I wrong in thinking that 300 WIN MAG would be more readily available than 300 WSM?

Old 02-02-2010, 08:30 PM   #6

I will be giving strong consideration to the 300 WSM, too, thanks for that.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:39 PM   #7
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 989 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Tango,Where are you getting your Winchester prices from? The only one near a grand is the Super Grade Model 70.

Lonyaeger,you can't go wrong with the 300 WM. But they do have a bit of recoil,so the heavier the rifle the better. If you plan on toting it around in the field hunting think about the better of the two evils,weight vs recoil.

My Savage 110FLP Tactical weighs about 14lbs with ammo,scope and I can shoot it all day long with near zero recoil. My Ruger #1 weighs about half that and without the muzzle brake on,it will kick the crap out of your shoulder every shot.With the muzzle brake it shoots great,without much recoil.

Just Wait for Tango to chime in about Muzzle brakes!!!He hates them.

Remington,Savage,Browning,Winchester,Tikka,Ruger,o r Howa would be guns to check out. Find one that fits you the best and you will have less a recoil issue,as long as it isn't a lite weight rifle.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:46 PM   #8
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 989 Times on 565 Posts
Likes Given: 440

Quote:
Originally Posted by amoroque View Post

Not knocking the WSM,but the ballistics aren't any better than the 300WM,but the ammo and brass to reload the WSM will sure put a dent in your wallet over the 300WM.

Old 02-02-2010, 08:47 PM   #9

Checked HOWA, doesn't seem that they make a 300 WIN MAG. But I looked at Cabela's at a Savage All Weather in 300 WSM....and like it a LOT!

Old 02-02-2010, 08:52 PM   #10

Liked 2 Times on 1 Posts

I couldnt honestly tell you for sure if there is more availability of the 300 WIN MAG or the 300 WSM.
I havent had a problem finding the 300 wsm.