Rifle barrel and part.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rifle barrel and part.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-25-2011, 10:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Rifle barrel and part.

I am new to this forum, so I hope I am posting this in the right spot. I was wondering if there was a solution or some method to put on all of the steal parts to make them not rust. I was going to reblue my gun, but when I got all of the metal polished I noticed that it looks better just polished. So I am wondering if there is a way to keep it in the polished state and add something to the metal so it wont rust. Thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-25-2011, 11:21 PM   #2

Liked 713 Times on 381 Posts
Likes Given: 48

I keep a rag doused in rem oil hanging on the handle of the gun safe. Nothing go back into the safe without being rubbed down and handled by the stock of forend to place back into the safe. Over 20 guns and nothing newer than 1954 has so much as a little pit.

I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man.
~George Washington

Old 12-26-2011, 02:40 AM   #3
Crazy Azz Redneck
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1220 Times on 697 Posts
Likes Given: 587

While it may look better now polished,unless you take extra caution to keep it lubricated and wiped off,it's going to rust.
I'd go ahead and get it reblued.Keeping a polished bolt up is fairly easy,but an entire gun will be tough to keep it nice and shiny.Just the oil,acid from your fingers will begin to rust in a very short time.

Lifetime Member-
NRA
Texas State Rifle Association
North American Hunting Club

Old 12-26-2011, 04:59 AM   #4

I agree. It does look nice polished, but I agree with you that will take a lot of time and maintenance to keep it from rusting. I am just going to reblue the gun.

Old 12-26-2011, 08:20 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2848 Times on 1485 Posts
Likes Given: 251

Bluing etches the surface of the steel allowing oil to stay in place. Polished steel will not hold oil and will rust.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 12-26-2011, 02:43 PM   #6

Liked 262 Times on 207 Posts
Likes Given: 25

If you hunt in veried conditions you will screw up that nice polished finish. Soaked on something like Kroil oil will help but you should alook at some type of metal finish to protect it. read here .Firearms History, Technology & Development: Metal Treatments: Ferritic Nitrocarburizing/Melonite/Tenifer This is the finish used by Glock, S&W on some of there barrels and bolts for the AR line. And used by other AR companies.