Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Rifle Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/)
-   -   Rifle advice (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/rifle-advice-47163/)

fmj 08-21-2011 03:33 PM

Rifle advice

Hey folks! I am new here. LONG time shooter/hunter and VERY vocal 2A advocate. I am seeking a bit of advice on what to purchase for my next rifle.

Heres the choices...

1) Marlin blued lever gun chambered in .44 mag...I can hunt in my home state with this weapon. Its (somewhat) readily available. But i am not a fan of lever actions. Cost is looking like $700+, + tax...AND i hear Marlin has broken down its machinery and shipping them to china to begin manufacturing their guns there. :mad:

2) Ruger "deer field" semi auto chambered in .44 mag....again i can hunt my beloved whitetails w/this weapon in my home state. I personally like a semi auto platform. But i have heard bad about accuracy issues with this weapon. (would LOVE to hear opinions from those that have shot this weapon) Also this gun is no longer manufactured and slightly difficult to find. Cost is looking again to be around $700+, + tax

3) DPMS flat top AR-15. This gun comes w/ collapsible butt stock, A-2 flash supressor, a 3-9x40 scope mounted, 2-30 rd mags, and a sling for $659+tax. I like the price of this weapon and i have always wanted an AR in my safe. But other than range time, cool factor and throwing up the middle finger to our "oppressive" Govt. its slightly impractical as i cannot hunt with it.

I am a man of few ways and means (read dirt poor) w/ 3 kids, so cost is a HUGE factor. Also, I have dies for .44 mag (along w/ 30-06, 35 rem, 9mm luger, .357 mag/38spec.) but not .223.

I am highly interested to hear the varying opinions to help me make the best decision.

HOSSFLY 08-21-2011 04:06 PM

I think you're wanting it for deer hunting?
Of those 3 I'd say the Marlin-
BUT there are a zillion other rifles that are better suited & most cost less----

Gatoragn 08-21-2011 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmj (Post 567294)
Hey folks! I am new here. LONG time shooter/hunter and VERY vocal 2A advocate. I am seeking a bit of advice on what to purchase for my next rifle.

Heres the choices...

1) Marlin blued lever gun chambered in .44 mag...I can hunt in my home state with this weapon. Its (somewhat) readily available. But i am not a fan of lever actions. Cost is looking like $700+, + tax...AND i hear Marlin has broken down its machinery and shipping them to china to begin manufacturing their guns there. :mad:

2) Ruger "deer field" semi auto chambered in .44 mag....again i can hunt my beloved whitetails w/this weapon in my home state. I personally like a semi auto platform. But i have heard bad about accuracy issues with this weapon. (would LOVE to hear opinions from those that have shot this weapon) Also this gun is no longer manufactured and slightly difficult to find. Cost is looking again to be around $700+, + tax

3) DPMS flat top AR-15. This gun comes w/ collapsible butt stock, A-2 flash supressor, a 3-9x40 scope mounted, 2-30 rd mags, and a sling for $659+tax. I like the price of this weapon and i have always wanted an AR in my safe. But other than range time, cool factor and throwing up the middle finger to our "oppressive" Govt. its slightly impractical as i cannot hunt with it.

I am a man of few ways and means (read dirt poor) w/ 3 kids, so cost is a HUGE factor. Also, I have dies for .44 mag (along w/ 30-06, 35 rem, 9mm luger, .357 mag/38spec.) but not .223.

I am highly interested to hear the varying opinions to help me make the best decision.

Here's the ticket:

http://www.galleryofguns.com/gunlocator/manuflink.asp?manuf=Harrington+%26+Richardson&Item =sb1-s44

stalkingbear 08-21-2011 04:33 PM

I'd suggest you get 1 of the older Ruger .44 carbines if you can afford it. It'll probably be about the same as a Marlin lever action. I have 1 and it'll group 1.5-2" groups all day long from 100 yards. If you can't afford that your cheapest bet would be to get a H&R Handi Rifle. H&R 72600 SB1-S44 Handi Rifle SYN 44 MAG SB 22 : Single Shot at GunBroker.com

stalkingbear 08-21-2011 04:35 PM

It looks like you beat me to it while I was typing, LOL.

fmj 08-21-2011 04:39 PM

Guess i should have added it needs to be a repeater. The single shot H&R Handi isnt going to fill the bill. When it comes to a single shot i have a CVA Wolf smoke pole that I can get to group sub 1" @ 100yds all day long.

I have looked at and discarded the Rossi lever as well. It MUST be American made!

Trez 08-21-2011 04:40 PM

Another vote for the Ruger .44 carbine.. I love mine and it shoots great, Ive noticed in mine if you reload, it likes stout loads, weak "plinking" rounds wont cycle the action..

Gatoragn 08-21-2011 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fmj (Post 567328)
Guess i should have added it needs to be a repeater. The single shot H&R Handi isnt going to fill the bill.

I deer hunt with a Handi Rifle in 280 rem., it is very accurate & maneuverable in a blind. As the saying goes: One shot / One kill.

jpattersonnh 08-21-2011 08:57 PM

Check these out. My buddy has a .45 colt w/ a 16" barrel, does well out to 80 yards.
Rossi USA

I have an EMF Hartford .44-40 w/ a 24" barrel. Great rifle, plenty accurate to 100 yards, Enough killing power for White tails to 80+ yards.
1892 Hartfords - EMF Company

JonM 08-21-2011 10:02 PM

my ruger 44 carbine is a solid 1.5-2 inch rifle at 100 yards. i have the tube magazine version. picked it up at a gunshow for 450$. previous owner claimed it was a pos cuz it didnt work. all it needed was a good cleaning.

there arent a whole lot of spare parts for these rifles but the earlier pre-deerfield are built like a tank unlike most of rugers current rifles.

you might do better with a 45-70 lever gun