to restore or not to restore
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > to restore or not to restore

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-21-2010, 02:20 AM   #1
dcm
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default to restore or not to restore

hi everyone first time posting here and looking for some opinions. A while ago i got an old but pretty much unused sporterized 1917 eddystone/enfield/p17 that has been ignored. now that i am in a lull as far as firearms projects go and i want to turn my attention to it. What I need input on is whether I should try and restore this thing or make it into a decent sporting rifle. Nothing has been hacked or milled off the metal so i would just need stock,handguards, and some barrel bands etc. But these stock/handguards are getting harder to find and depending on the situation may be more than im willing to pay. Or i could refinish the stock, bed the action, float the barrel, reblue, drill and tap etc and have a half decent sporter. What do you think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-21-2010, 02:41 AM   #2

Liked 32 Times on 23 Posts
Likes Given: 45

Welcome aboard, DCM.

If it is restorable, I'd go that route. Tons of hacked up sporterized 1917's floating around, so you could pick up a sporter project cheap.

If you can do yours back to orig config, that is what I would do.

Let's see some pics.

And when you can, swing over to our Introductions thread and tell us about yourself. We already know you have great taste in rifles.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-21-2010, 02:42 AM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8859 Times on 3837 Posts
Likes Given: 1383

Numrich Gun Parts Corp. - The World's Largest Supplier of Firearms Parts and Accessories

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:46 AM   #4

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I hate to disagree with M14s but since it's already 2/3 way down the sporter route, I'd just finish it off and have a nice cheap spare rifle. If I wanted an original SMLE I'd find one closer to that condition and go from there. Just my $.02.

Old 10-21-2010, 02:55 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by freefall View Post
I hate to disagree with M14s but since it's already 2/3 way down the sporter route, I'd just finish it off and have a nice cheap spare rifle. If I wanted an original SMLE I'd find one closer to that condition and go from there. Just my $.02.
YOU WOULD DARE TO DISAGREE WITH ME!!!? JK.

But it is a 1917, not a SMLE.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI

"Obama has ordered the launching of more Tomahawk cruise missiles than All the other Nobel Peace Prize winners combined."

Old 10-21-2010, 03:10 AM   #6
dcm

honestly c3shooters link just helped a lot, i guess my light googling for stocks should have been more frequent cause numrich looks like it has my number. thanks for the advice, i think im just anxious to get working on it and want a quick fix. i should just find a cheap wreak to occupy my time until i gather all the parts for the 1917

Old 10-21-2010, 03:22 AM   #7

Liked 56 Times on 42 Posts
Likes Given: 44

If the barreled action has not been defiled I would try to restore it to its origional glory. Sporterizing is something you would do with one of Freefall's guns. If only the stock has been cut you are Not even one tenth of the way to a sporterized Enfield the way it should be. Milling the reciever, Tactical or Sporting, cutting and straightening the bottom steel, drilling and tapping, removing rear sight , removing ft sight, recrowning or rebarreling, reblue, restocking,glass bedding, free floating, stock finishing, Scope , Rings and mounts, trigger work. Probably about three times as much money as a compairable rifle would cost. You Decide . Alot of steps and more decisions.

"War is an ugly thing, but not the ugliest of things. The decayed and degraded state of moral and patriotic feeling, which thinks nothing is worth war, is worse. A man who has nothing which he cares more about than his own personal safety is a miserable creature, and has no chance of being free unless he is made free and kept so by the exertions of better men than himself" John Stuart Mill
A government which robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of
Paul.

Last edited by dteed4094; 10-21-2010 at 03:26 AM.

Old 10-21-2010, 03:30 AM   #8
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If it hasn't been cut up, restore it. The parts are out there and it's not as expensive as you seem to think.

I have a sporterized 1917 and if it had been restorable, I would have restored it. Unfortunately the rear sight was ground off, the front sight was gone and the barrel shortened and a flat floorplate installed. It was also drilled and tapped, but it was well done, so the best I could do was freshen it up and make it mine.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f33/1917-eddystone-sporter-revamp-32977/

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/1917-eddystone-project-18556/

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 10-21-2010, 04:20 AM   #9

And, due to the hardness of the steel used in the 1917 receiver, grinding off the rear sight protective ears costs about $200. Cheaper to restore than to finish sporterizing.

SAF-Life
PEIAPOI