Rescued Mosin - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Rescued Mosin

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-16-2009, 05:50 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

I've heard good and bad results.

I might pick that up as well as a Monte Carlon stock just to see how it handles.

I'm scared to shoot it like this without concrete strapped to my shoulder.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:14 PM   #12

I would be interested to hear how it shoots since its missing the bayonet.

"Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both. "" - Benjamin Franklin

Old 04-16-2009, 06:20 PM   #13

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Don't do anything!!!

Give it a neat nickname and shoot it just like it is.

That can be your ugly gun.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:25 PM   #14

Collecting and Shooting the Military Surplus Rifle (2006) - Surplusrifle.com
Found this when I found a 91/30 with a good bore but looked like it was dragged around by its sling
Good thing is I can turn it back If I want as the mods aren't permenant (unless you cut the barrel down)

Tact;The ability to tell a man to go to he11 and make him feel happy to be on his way.

Old 04-16-2009, 06:32 PM   #15

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

I just posted that a few seconds ago hahaha.

But anyway....I'm trying to decide

Evil Black Rifle look.

Or Camo Hunting look....eh camo stocks make it more expensive.

Maybe someone will hate their stock and sell it...I need to google gun broker stuffs

Also I got the duck tape crap off....I'm thinking he ducked taped something on there....not sure what though.

It looks nice....but the stock is good...what's left of it that is.

And I read that and it says the trigger has a 2 stage trigger...I think someone modified mine because it feels like a one stage trigger...since it only takes a slight pull

Also one weird thing I noticed when it's cocked and ready...the trigger hangs loose and can be pushed forward...this normal? It matter not to me...the trigger still pulls.

Also I need to get a curved handle...or an entirely new bolt....any suggestions on that?

Old 04-16-2009, 06:46 PM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I'm sure others can give you some specific links on buying curved handles or shipping your bolt off to have it modified (there are also DIY kits, but I don't think those are reccomended). Before you have that done you should decide how you are going to sporterize it. If you drill and tap a mount into the side of the receiver you probably will need a curved bolt, but there are other solutions that involving removing the rear sight and spring and replacing it with a mount. Sometimes they can give you shoddy results, but I know there is one guy that makes one that works damn near perfectly. Hopefully somebody can chime in with his info. If you go that route, depending on the optics you choose you could be fine.

Unless you just want a curved bolt for the ergonomics in which case disregard my post.

Old 04-16-2009, 07:33 PM   #17
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2996 Times on 1561 Posts
Likes Given: 279

If you are going the scout route you don't need to re-do the bolt handle. The scope will sit well forward of the bolt.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 04-16-2009, 07:45 PM   #18

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

I might just get a brand new bolt all together down the road since this one looks like ****...or at least the handle does....not sure how to replace it yet.

To get a true scout rifle it needs to be placed in front of the action...but I'm wondering what's the best and most accurate way I can do it....if a side mounted scope or a drilled and tapped mount is better then I'm open to suggestions.

The reason I'm thinking curved bolt Is...I think it looks neat...but other than that...**** it I might just keep it as is.

If any of your guys want to help me out..know some quality smiths...and what not then please be my guest and tell me. I'll ship the thing to you myself and let you work on it...or find someone to work on it.

Last edited by JiroZero713; 04-16-2009 at 07:59 PM.

Old 04-17-2009, 12:52 AM   #19

Liked 117 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default Removing the bayonet on them rifles

I had a Type 53 that dident have the bayonet, it took quite a bit of work to get the sights "POA" with the Bayo is gone nothing is in the ball park!
the front sight has to be recalibrated for the changes made both windage and elevation.
my front sight had to be drifted to port about a 1/16th of a inch just to be in the neighborhood, that rifle shot consistantly 9" low at 50yards too which dident make sense at the time. If you get the sights all regulated you will have a sweet shooter just keep the chamber scrubbed clean! scout scope it to use the stripper clip and enjoy!
when it comes to Milsurp sporters just leave them stocks unless they are unsafe to shoot that way, why waste the money?

Old 04-17-2009, 01:47 AM   #20

Liked 5 Times on 1 Posts

I didn't think we had any steel wool in the house but I found some. The Bolt I though was rusted pretty bad...but I got it back to shinyness....albeit a bit dark..but it's enjoyable to look at now so...I'll keep the bolt....I thought it was scrubbed.

Literately this rifle looks like it was thrown in the back of a closet to rot...and someone turned it in 2 days ago to the gun shop to get some tax cash.

Well I bought it on tax day and I'm going to bring this baby back to life if I can.

I need to find a local gun smith to help me with it and get his ideas. Anyone know any good ones in Alabama?

I have no idea how to work on the sights myself I'm a scrub nub.

Here's some quick Before After Pictures I came up with.

BEFORE

AFTER

Probably can't tell but now the bolt handle is more shiny...it was a dark brown before

BEFORE

AFTER

The Duck Tape goo is now gone! TY solvent...looked like boogers when I got it off.