Replacement iron sights.

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Replacement iron sights.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-05-2011, 03:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

Default Replacement iron sights.

I have an old Remington model 740 that had the rear iron sight removed at some point in its life to fit its current scope. I want to turn this gun into a combo hog and deer rifle so I would like the rear iron sights back. I cant find a replacement rear sight because everything I have found shows that this gun had a screw on rear sight but mine was dovetailed in. I would also need the sight to be tall enough to be seen over a weever rail since I will also have a scope on it with see through mounts. I have no problem with also replacing the front sight that is dove tailed into a ramp that looks like it is made onto the barrel. I would also like if this rear sight would look kinda correct on the gun aka no fiber optics for the 1955ish rifle. Sorry for such a long post.

Thanks for any help.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-05-2011, 04:14 AM   #2

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

I freely admit that I thought they all had screw-on rear sights. The easy way would be to look at the rear sights at Brownell's and pick a high one that you like.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:21 AM   #3

Liked 117 Times on 77 Posts
Likes Given: 76

By the markings on the barrel the it was made in February of 55, 81 or 07. So this was a very early production or the barrel was changed. I have looked at Brownells sights but I have no idea if any of them would work. Have any of yall done something like this before? Any input would be great.

Old 12-05-2011, 05:51 AM   #4

Liked 862 Times on 648 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbomar4
By the markings on the barrel the it was made in February of 55, 81 or 07. So this was a very early production or the barrel was changed. I have looked at Brownells sights but I have no idea if any of them would work. Have any of yall done something like this before? Any input would be great.
You might try to get an all metal dove tailed sight from marlin also. Ask for a sight for an 882 or 883.
Or this one is like the one that is supposed to be on that barrel.

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=26039/Product/

Old 12-05-2011, 01:57 PM   #5

Liked 763 Times on 487 Posts
Likes Given: 239

Put on your scope mounts then put something in the rear dovetail that is high enough to see with the mounts on. Measure what you put in the dovetail to get an approximate height for your sight.

Just walking on the edge of of my grave.