Remy 700 Parts and Pieces Dilema
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Rifle Discussion > Remy 700 Parts and Pieces Dilema

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-13-2010, 02:47 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Default Remy 700 Parts and Pieces Dilema

OK you rifle boys. . . I've been starting some projects lately because I would like to begin venturing into the precision and distance aspect of shooting. Initially I envisioned a Remington 700 in .308 and took dibbs one that had just happened to have already been ordered by the shop. It is a BDL/hinged floor-plate with synthetic stock, right handed, NIB and I got a great deal. . . . however I didn't know what type of receiver it was before hand. That's how it all started.

I was back down at the shop checking on the status of that order along with a finish project a gal is doing for me there too and ended up buying two aftermarket stocks from a guy that just happened to walk into my local gun-store looking to sell them (and a bunch of other stuff). The owners really weren't that interested and gave me the go ahead on 'em. I had to get 'em because the deal(s) presented was too good to pass up. I had already been shopping for accessories and was pretty familiar with in the ballpark of stock pricing that I knew enough (barely) to know a good deal.

I ended up with a Choate Ultimate Varmit short action and a McMillan Remington Classic Stock 700 BDL Long Action.

Keep in mind this was an impulse buy. . . I thought I'd hang on to the McMillan until I ventured into a 30-06 or 7mm Mag. No biggie. But the Choate ended up being manufactured for a detachable magazine model and could not be fitted for my .308. This really sucks because I'm a tall lefty and the cheek weld was fully adjustable as well as the overall pull. So I was able to get rid of that for a good chunk at least.

NOW. . . here's the situation: I have a NIB baseline Remington 700 .308 BDL with a a synthetic stock with right handed cheek weld (not so desirable) and a McMillan Classic fiberglass stock for a long action 700 BDL.

SO I have the opportunity to get a 700 ADL in 30-06 for cheap, (not much good there) or a 721 in 30-06 BDL.

Question: Are any of the above compatible? I have heard that a 721 will fit into a 700 stock, but sometimes requires a bit of dremel/milling.

I have contacted Choate and was told that they currently manufacture a Varmint stock for current BDL models, but Midway USA (who usually has it all) has discontinued selling them and I'm not aware of another dealer.

Should I sell the .308 or try to trade the local shop owner for a 30-06 700 BDL, which I'm sure he'll have to order out again? Should I sell of the McMillan? I'd hate to 'cause I know what they go for and it feels good. . . Should I wait until I find another varmint stock with a fully adjustable cheek weld and hang onto the .308 and McMillan pending a future long action 700. Should I try to fit the 721 into the McMillan and just hang onto the .308?

I'm stuck, down a few hundred and basically have a flimsy baseball bat. I screwed up by not asking which mag type the .308 was. The McMillan I would have bought regardless, even w/o a gun due to the low $ alone.

I'd love some ideas. I'd really like to hear that the 721 drops right into the classic 700 stock

Thanks,

D

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 03-13-2010, 02:59 AM   #2

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Choate Ultimate Varmit stock should work just fine. You just need to get the detachable mag set up for it.

The difference between a bdl and an adl was the floor plate on the BDL the ADL line was a low budget model replaced by the SPS line of remmys now.

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f18/remington-model-721-stock-replacement-8281/

Old 03-13-2010, 03:05 AM   #3

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Got a link for the detachable mag set up? I seen the KwickKlip on Cabelas, but like I said I'm just gettin' into these 700's. I know you and some others have a lifetime of experience. I'd like to utilize the .308 and the McMillan with a long action. I see. . . so the 721 will fit. Hmmmmm. . . I love to get a visual before dropping another few $$$ on it. Looks to be in great shape though.

Last edited by diggsbakes; 03-13-2010 at 03:08 AM. Reason: I see

Old 03-13-2010, 03:18 AM   #4

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3479 Times on 1609 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

*Dillinger reserves comment on Remington Long Action*

This is one of the best ones. But it definitely isn't the cheapest.

Badger Ordnance Trigger Guard and Detachable Magazine Assembly Remington 700 w/Hinged Floorplate Short Action 308 Winchester 5-Round Aluminum Matte - MidwayUSA

Another version - I don't know a lot about this one.

CDI Precision Trigger Guard and Detachable Box Magazine Remington 700 Short Action 10-Round - MidwayUSA

Heard good things about these, but have never personally seen one.

Seekins Precision :: Innovative Products for Precision Shooters

Old 03-13-2010, 04:03 AM   #5

ok, im not familiar with the dm models, but if the stock is made for a dm model, and will not work with a bdl model, i dont see how a conversion kit made to adapt a detachable magazine to a BDL MODEL will work in a stock designed for a dm model, if they arent compatible.

Old 03-13-2010, 05:56 PM   #6

Liked 313 Times on 208 Posts
Likes Given: 27

I dont know for sure about the Choat stock but the McMillan stocks are usually set up for Badger Ordance bottom metal with detachable magazine.
Badger Ordance bottoma metal is spendy but really nice compaired to other brands out there. They use AI magazines.

Old 03-13-2010, 08:44 PM   #7

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
ok, im not familiar with the dm models, but if the stock is made for a dm model, and will not work with a bdl model, i dont see how a conversion kit made to adapt a detachable magazine to a BDL MODEL will work in a stock designed for a dm model, if they arent compatible.
your bass ackwards man.

A remmy 700 BDL doesn't come with DM set up that I know of from the factory except on special LEO models. SO the stock is set up for a DM set up. What the OP needs to do to use the stock is get a DM set up and install it not hard then Load 1 20 round mag and watch your lane.

Old 03-13-2010, 11:15 PM   #8

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

Update:

Went back into shop today and asked my buddy about the KwikKlip conversion for DM use. He wasn't a big fan and offered to take the gun back for the entire purchase price and ordered me a model 700 XHR 30-06. I gave him $200 more for the price difference and he threw in a picatinny style base and 2 boxes of cartridges. When it gets here I'll feel her up real good and decide whether or not to leave on the original camo w/ Houge over-mold stock or mount/bed the long action McMillan that I got.

MidwayUSA also had me send the Choate back and will refund my CC upon arrival. I was pretty set on a .308, but I probably won't be running 1000s of rounds through this one.

Now all I need is a good piece of glass and a bipod and I'll also have an extra stock for the next one! ! !

Thanks for all you guy's help! I'll probably ask for more when she comes!

Last edited by diggsbakes; 03-13-2010 at 11:18 PM. Reason: Thanks!

Old 03-13-2010, 11:21 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by cpttango30 View Post
your bass ackwards man.

A remmy 700 BDL doesn't come with DM set up that I know of from the factory except on special LEO models. SO the stock is set up for a DM set up. What the OP needs to do to use the stock is get a DM set up and install it not hard then Load 1 20 round mag and watch your lane.
ummm, yeah, thats exactly what i said, if the stocks not set up for a bdl, a bdl conversion wouldnt fit??

and dm or cdl parts will not interchange with an adl or bdl. its not the same as switching out the floor plate and stock like going between the adl and bdl.

the factory dm and cdl models are true mag fed guns, the feed lips are in the magazine. to get the parts to fit in an adl or bdl, you would have to mill out the feedlips in the receiver to get them to fit. the conversions for the adl and bdl models use special magazines that are designed to work byfitting between the factory feeds lips in the receiver of teh adl and bdl's.